Are Geelong unbeatable?

Where will Geelong finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant judge them to the finals. They have played scintillating footy at times and every team has a bad week or two. Rather be getting it out of the way now prior to the finals.

Eagles v cats gf for mine still atm

We already have Richmond playing all their games at home. Surely it’d be unfair to have two teams?
Richmond don’t play all of their home games on their home ground, unlike West Coast.
But we don’t mind you having that advantage. After all, Richmond represents an entire suburb of Melbourne, whilst West doesn’t even represent all of W.A.

Interesting My Davey.

Assuming we do make top 2, if we didn't make the Granny from that point then yes for me, it is a failure. Or perhaps rather a disappointment. The Tigers were bundled out by a ferocious, frenetic Collingwood in the Prelims last year who on the night were just a far better side. I wouldn't say that was a failure, especially after finishing as minor premiers and winning it the year before. Even without the flag, the year was still a success. They just got outplayed by a superior side on that occasion.

If we were to lose in similar circumstances then no, it is not a failure. If we simply s**t the bed or snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, then that is a failure. I wouldn't blame the list or coaching either. Not at this stage, unless Scott royally fu**s up in-game.
I think that it’s a mix of things. If you do make a PF and not show up then you’ve got to question whether Scott has what it takes, but then how much do you put the onus on the players? If Scott can keep rebuilding the list to keep it competitive, then that’s a good sign.

If you narrowly lose a PF then you can’t put that down to much else than bad fortune after giving your all. Personally I think with the competition this year Geelong should make a PF minimum. I think Richmond and West Coast will be in the conversations with being premiers alongside Geelong. It’ll be enthralling come finals, particularly if there’s a big final against Richmond or WC in week one.

Whilst you don’t want to make calls too early, I think this time of the year gives a good indication of who can get it done. Plenty of time still for WC, Collingwood, Geelong, GWS, Richmond and Port (smoky).

Personally, I think the Eagles are the best outfit, but they’ll still face stiff competition nonetheless in the finals.
Port are extremely inconsistent. I'd rule them out.

Could very well bow out in another prelim. Collingwood, Richmond or WCE at the G will be tough.
I was ridiculed when I first claimed that Geelong were a bees dick ahead of the rest while they were 3 games ahead of the competition. I'm not looking so stupid now.

Geelong can absolutely win it, I'm just not sure if they can make it to the gf, that's the hard part with potentially 2 byes.

Last night was a s**t show but I won't make any knee-jerk reactions to it. The loss to Port straight after the bye was a lot more concerning for me even though they were a much higher quality to what Footscray were last night.

The pre-finals bye is still really a big bugbear of mine. One of the bonuses of winning lots of games in the first half to two-thirds of the season is that you can manage players leading into the finals. Now everyone gets the pre-finals bye so it diminishes managing players earlier to a certain extent. It's like kids in a sporting event, everyone gets a ribbon.

I posted somewhere a couple of weeks ago that WCE will finish top 2 and should be the favourites, I think they're probably the strongest team in it now. Geelong are certainly better than they have been for a number of seasons owing to the revamped forward line.

Half the Geelong supporters on here will agree with me and the other half won't but iirc, Hawthorn are the only side in the comp with a +tive w/l record coming off a bye, WCE and Adelaide were next best they were roughly 50/50, I did a thread on it on the Geelong board a couple of years ago and have been updating it each season. Geelong is the worst club in the league coming off a bye, including GWS and GC and their early years.
It's strange. Any probable root causes for that?

Right now the guy under the most pressure would have to be Chris Scott. Geelong are absolutely primed for a top 2 finish, anything less than a GF appearance is an abject failure. Given the history of Geelong since 2013, and you’d argue it is very very good, to bow out in a semi or a PF would mean that something is very wrong with the list come finals, the coaching or the approach.

If Geelong don’t make a GF this year I’d ask Cats fans if they’re happy with how the season went. This isn’t a dig at Geelong, but more a legitimate question based on disappointing exits in 2013,2014,2016,2017,2018. Also with a clear list management approach to top up for a flag tilt.

Herne Hill Hammer
Gavin Excell
Macpotata
Wojcinski

Which team doesn’t trade players? Like which team has absolutely got every player on its list from the draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect we’ll lose another one or even two by years end. Weagles will win every game they are starting to fire as they did last year about this time so could end up top with us second. That’d suit me fine. Take the pressure off which we never seem to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interestingly, Geelong dropped a couple of games in consecutive weeks to Essendon and West Coast at about this stage of the season back in 2011 too, and we all know how that season finished up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond don’t play all of their home games on their home ground, unlike West Coast.
But we don’t mind you having that advantage. After all, Richmond represents an entire suburb of Melbourne, whilst West doesn’t even represent all of W.A.
Dude you don’t leave the G for the rest of the year and your away games are at home, cut the s**t no ones buying it.
And as far as representing an entire suburb of Melbourne you’ve done a s**t house job at that too .

What is your point? There are 200,000 people in Richmond and 2.6 million in WA. What comparison are you even trying to make? West Coast Eagles historically represent the northern suburbs of Perth which I would suggest is more than 200,000. And don't even start with comparing advantages and disadvantages with travel with Richmond. That's not a debate you can ever win. You can finishing ******* 8th and get a home final.

Last edited:
Dude you don’t leave the G for the rest of the year and your away games are at home, cut the s**t no ones buying it.
And as far as representing an entire suburb of Melbourne you’ve done a s**t house job at that too .

What is your point? There are 200,000 people in Richmond and 2.6 million in WA. What comparison are you even trying to make? West Coast Eagles historically represent the northern suburbs of Perth which I would suggest is more than 200,000. And don't even start with comparing advantages and disadvantages with travel with Richmond. That's not a debate you can ever win. You can finishing ******* 8th and get a home final.
Richmond plays it's home games on the most neutral venue in the AFL. Even then, Richmond don't get to play all their home games on their home ground. Eagles and Geelong have the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL: Facts
That these 2 clubs feel that they need to take this massive advantage into the Grand final goes to the character of these clubs. I wonder how their players feel with their administration and supporters insisting they don't have the character to compete on a level playing field.

Last edited:
What is your point? There are 200,000 people in Richmond and 2.6 million in WA. What comparison are you even trying to make? West Coast Eagles historically represent the northern suburbs of Perth which I would suggest is more than 200,000.
Are you serious? Surely you're not that slow.
I was being ironic. Sarcastic if you like.
Are you 4?

We are the only club that isn't allowed to host every club at our home ground, such a great advantage that one.
Richmond doesn't play all of our home games at the MCG. Does any Victorian club play all of their home games on their home ground?
But I do understand that you feel very strongly that your club needs extra special concessions not afforded to others. It's a cultural thing.

Richmond doesn't play all of our home games at the MCG. Does any Victorian club play all of their home games on their home ground?
But I do understand that you feel very strongly that your club needs extra special concessions not afforded to others. It's a cultural thing.

Who said anything about all games, what I said was that we are the only club that isn't allowed to host every club at our home ground, not every game or every home game. Because currently we will never host Essendon, Hawthorn or Collingwood at our home ground, while Richmond are finally not a basketcase we also won't host them, the moment Carlton become a top 8 side they will no longer be drawn games in Geelong. So no I would just like us to have the same concession offered every other club which is that every club can at some time be drawn at their home ground.

They are a great team, but I take heart from one of the leagues great coaches talking about another team when they were having a good run of wins last year.
“They’re not unbeatable, they’re not like a juggernaut like brisbane.
For them to win it alot will have to go right for them”

Isn’t Richmond playing its last 7 games on ITS home ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back