Review Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not being at the game makes it hard to see but I have to think that our defensive setups were spot on in this game. There were a number of times where they broke through the middle of the ground and I assumed they would be looking at a couple of open guys in the fwd line to choose from with the kick, however time and time again they were still kicking to a contest. We covered the space really well and must have been reacting very quickly to the transition ball. Clearly we were expecting it to happen most times and we were all over it. Its a reinforcement that tactically we have been exceptional since the bye with our in game adjustments and opposition preparation. A kudos to the both the coaching staff for recognising, creating and developing our players to execute these plans, as well as the players for the way they've implemented them.

It's not just Fagan. These results are coming from TEAM Fagan. The other coaches are clearly doing a fantastic job.
I actually think most of the moves are coming from upstairs (Daly and others). Whilst Fages has his headphone on he is rarely shown speaking with anyone on it and spends most of his time on the bench giving direct instructions and encouragement to the players as they come off. No doubt he is in charge, but probably not as hands-on as we might suppose.

Not being at the game makes it hard to see but I have to think that our defensive setups were spot on in this game. There were a number of times where they broke through the middle of the ground and I assumed they would be looking at a couple of open guys in the fwd line to choose from with the kick, however time and time again they were still kicking to a contest. We covered the space really well and must have been reacting very quickly to the transition ball. Clearly we were expecting it to happen most times and we were all over it. Its a reinforcement that tactically we have been exceptional since the bye with our in game adjustments and opposition preparation. A kudos to the both the coaching staff for recognising, creating and developing our players to execute these plans, as well as the players for the way they've implemented them.
Answerth, Hodge and Dizzy (and Bailey when he plays back) are all very good at closing the space.

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully no one tests our water bottles. I recon Valium could of been used. We were so calm under pressure turning each GWS attack away time after time. If Harris and Lachie Neale are not in the AA team this year then the AA team is a joke.
I think you should add Coach of the Year : FAGAN

I actually can't recall Cameron in the middle recently as often as he was earlier in the season.

I think as he's built up his fitness and game tally McCarthy has started to take some of that role off him more, and he's really starting to look good in it. We've been needing that extra top line mid to go with Neale, Zorko and Lyon in that centre square and i've been wondering where it was going to come from so that our rotation didn't lose too much. I had assumed Berry would be that guy, and while he may (he's still working his way back from injury and still appears a bit underdone) the emergence of McCarthy is proving very timely in taking some of the load off those key guys and minimising the step down to our secondary rotation.

Pretty sure it was Mark Robinson on a podcast just last week who said that his nomination for Coach of the Year is Chris Scott, What the..?
Scott is a regular on AFL 360 and Robbo is nauseatingly infatuated by him - and a bit intimidated also I think. Even Scott has admitted recently that he has an easier gig than the coaches currently under the pump (and some who have been recently sacked e.g. his bruv) basically because he inherited a (better) quality list.

I watched this quite carefully at the ground. We looked very content to let them try their hand at kicking along the boundary to their forward flank and completely locked up the Highway. Our defenders kept their structures and backed the mids and forwards to do their job of keeping the Highway congested meaning the backs could repel most inside 50s or at worst give them a shot from a harder spot. It was perfect coaching and perfect gameplan implementation from the players.

This is a GWS weakness (see them spotting up Hooker last week) week in and out - just banging the ball in, especially with Whitfield out - and we exploited it.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The defensive set up is very sound. Teams struggle to move the ball quickly against us. Makes a nice change from the Leppa days where all our players ran forward of the ball and our defenders stood 15m in front of the forwards and watched the ball sail over there heads!

Am I wrong, or do you change who you refer to as "we" depending on whether you're on the Lions board or the Giants board? Confusing

Correct. It's only if you're visiting both boards, which is rare.

If I'm talking about both clubs or on a neutral board the Lions are "we".

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
I think as he's built up his fitness and game tally McCarthy has started to take some of that role off him more, and he's really starting to look good in it. We've been needing that extra top line mid to go with Neale, Zorko and Lyon in that centre square and i've been wondering where it was going to come from so that our rotation didn't lose too much. I had assumed Berry would be that guy, and while he may (he's still working his way back from injury and still appears a bit underdone) the emergence of McCarthy is proving very timely in taking some of the load off those key guys and minimising the step down to our secondary rotation.
Completely agree, McCarthy looks like our quickest player and so damn evasive as well. He and Hugh are my favourite players when they have the ball, the are so clean and the game seems to slow down for them. Neither seems to panic.

Who is your favorite dlanod, were you barracking for us or that other mob yesterday?

If I'm talking about both clubs or on a neutral board the Lions are "we".

Even the Giants members nearby knew I'd be rocking up in my Lions gear this week.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Completely agree, McCarthy looks like our quickest player and so damn evasive as well. He and Hugh are my favourite players when they have the ball, the are so clean and the game seems to slow down for them. Neither seems to panic.
Yep, McCarthy adds a hell of a lot to our midfield rotation, class player.

Our midfield is getting deeper-

Sorry that was the best I could come up with, it's worth it though.. love Clapton, I'll have to find a way to get Girls on the Avenue into a post in the future.

Biggies

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just a timely reminder were also sitting 4-1 against current top 8 teams - which includes knocking off two premiership fancies in GWS and WC now. Lions are the real deal. :thumbsu:

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Top grade pressure forward, regular goal sneak, around the ground chaser, centre addition. What more is there?

And remind me- how much did he cost us???

McCluggage improving consistently. Neale- the best. Zorko- best season ever. Lyons- strong in the clinches [and how much again did he cost us?]. Berry getting match fitter. Cameron consistently producing.

An opposition dilemma- who to tag?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just a timely reminder were also sitting 4-1 against current top 8 teams - which includes knocking off two premiership fancies in GWS and WC now. Lions are the real deal. :thumbsu:

Of course, according to James Brayshaw we've "had a very soft draw", and beat Melbourne in a "bruise-free game" last week according to the alleged glasser Wayne Carey.

So you know, none of our wins count ;)

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched this quite carefully at the ground. We looked very content to let them try their hand at kicking along the boundary to their forward flank and completely locked up the Highway. Our defenders kept their structures and backed the mids and forwards to do their job of keeping the Highway congested meaning the backs could repel most inside 50s or at worst give them a shot from a harder spot. It was perfect coaching and perfect gameplan implementation from the players.
We did what collingwood did to us to them, made us reinvent ourselves.
Back to basics , along the boundary stuff.
And it looks like we are venturing back to uncontested kicks/marks verses the along the boundary contested marks.
It's nice to know we are getting some diversity into our ball movement/ game plan.
not sure if it's been mentioned too much , but Stef had a fantastic game with 2nd efforts , getting first position, very aggressive , man on a mission .
Massive win for us , not getting the credit the team deserves.
You have to give credit when its due ,we are due.
It's like when Collingwood bent us over , they were brilliant , just way too much pressure , and there spread both ways was better than any team I've seen this year. Closed our exits before we got players even in those exits.
We aren't that far off that team on that night , but I reckon we are better than their current form.
Like a few have said we are still improving , well like the SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.
Brisbane Lions a team barely alive .
Fagan "Gentlemen we can rebuild them."
Better, stronger
More powerful than before.
Faster.
You gotta be over 50 to remember that show.
Better than this reality s**t right:rolleyes:

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Of course, according to James Brayshaw we've "had a very soft draw", and beat Melbourne in a "bruise-free game" last week according to the alleged glasser Wayne Carey.

So you know, none of our wins count ;)

Tell that to Oscar.

Back