Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brad and Stephen’s departure from the club influences Tim Kelly to join us then I’d hope we’d try to make that happen. We’d definitely miss Brad’s run and carry (see the Brisbane game especially) but would trade it for Kelly’s contested and scoring power. And concerning Stephen well he’s just hardly ever on the park anymore.

We desperately need quality in and around the contest and mids who can win their own ball, use it well and hit the scoreboard. Kelly ticks all those boxes. The only current player on our list (disregarding Bennell) who can do that consistently is Walters.

He clearly sees Ross coming and is like NO i don't want to hear your crap,just watch again it's not a good look and then Ross just ends up looking like a tool talking to himself
Doesn't look like that at all, even Willo is turning about to take off, you can see Brad Hills eyes dart when he realises there is more presentation to come.

We have to get the WA boys, straight out of the draft, before they move over east and get interstate partners.

Interestingly I heard that Freo has been in talks with Kelly's management in the last week, together with people from South Fremantle. Trying to rebuild some bridges perhaps?

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have to get the WA boys, straight out of the draft, before they move over east and get interstate partners.

Interestingly I heard that Freo has been in talks with Kelly's management in the last week, together with people from South Fremantle. Trying to rebuild some bridges perhaps?

I think Kelly rates Bell

Extrapolating from Sherrif and all the other stuff going down
1) West Coast was heavily favoured last year because we told him we would draft him several times and then blew him off
2) We've known we were second on Kelly's list but 1st on Geelongs
3) Bell, who has a good relationship with Kelly has been in his ear (and his managers) trying to convince we are good bet
4) Geelong have told Kelly they will get him home and would appreciate it if they let them get the best deal for themselves.

Probably the only way we get him because there is no reason (especially after the weekend) that we are his number 1 choice

We aren't his number 1 choice, and the kids coming thru at state level (wa) want to go to West Coast.
Culturally Freo has to change, and it has to change yesterday.
That is up to Rosich & Bell

Ask a young up and comer from WA who he would prefer to play for, us or the Eagles.
There’s your answer!
How Bell is going to convince young blokes that we are the correct option for their future beats me.

Ask a young up and comer from WA who he would prefer to play for, us or the Eagles.
There’s your answer!
How Bell is going to convince young blokes that we are the correct option for their future beats me.

When you actually ask them they would be happy first to be in the AFL system..

We don't have a situation where players will rather not be in the AFL than play for Fremantle. That has happened to AFL clubs this era though.

There’s your answer!
Sorry Greyhairs, but that's just a pointless argument. West Coast have a bigger following than Fremantle. Therefore more people have grown up supporting West Coast and hence will want to go there in preference to Fremantle. However, just because you would prefer to go to a particular team doesn't mean you will get that choice. A couple of cases in point:

Nat Fyfe - hated the Dockers and wanted to go to Richmond
Matthew Pavlich - did not want to come to the Dockers

Those two have turned out fair servants of the club.

Matthew Priddis supported and wanted to play for the Dockers
Elliot Yea, McGovern, Sheppard likewise

Ballas supported West Coast and wanted to play for them.

I could list lots more examples, but you see my point - it doesn't matter who you support or want to play for, it is rarely a case of having a choice. You will be drafted or you won't be drafted, and if Freo draft someone and they choose not to go to Freo, then they don't play AFL.

Further to this, there was a time when some parents were (anecdotally) reluctant to let their boys play for the Eagles because of the drug issues within the club - they seem to have survived that. :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you actually ask them they would be happy first to be in the AFL system..

We don't have a situation where players will rather not be in the AFL than play for Fremantle. That has happened to AFL clubs this era though.
I get what you’re saying and I agree they all would want to get in the system but what I’m getting at is that instead of wanting to play for us, unless we pick them in the draft, they would prefer the Eagles.
Once we pick up a young bloke in the draft of course they will be say how pleased they are to be picked by Freo.

Sorry, but that's just a pointless argument. West Coast have a bigger following than Fremantle. Therefore more people have grown up supporting West Coast and hence will want to go there in preference to Fremantle. However, just because you would prefer to go to a particular team doesn't mean you will get that choice. A couple of cases in point:
I wasn’t talking or referring to the supporters of the Eagles compared to the Dockers.
I’m talking about the youngsters preference.
And I know that obviously which team you prefer doesn’t necessarily mean you have get the choice to go there.
Commonsense, that’s all.

I get what you’re saying and I agree they all would want to get in the system but what I’m getting at is that instead of wanting to play for us, unless we pick them in the draft, they would prefer the Eagles.
Once we pick up a young bloke in the draft of course they will be say how pleased they are to be picked by Freo.

They would all have preferred to play for Hawthorn in 2014 too, Richmond in 2018. That's the real indication of the pattern.

Sustained success will breed a culture where casual supporters follow Fremantle, currently I'd estimate the support from those who wouldn't be able to name more than three Eagles players and asks what happened in the game at work on Monday as being 85% in favor of West Coast.

The trick for Fremantle will be to be performing well year on year for a four to five year window during which those casual supporters decide to come to a game, or bring their children along and start rusting onto Fremantle. That won't happen if we are finishing 9th every season.

Even though we are the second team in town, you can still beat the big one. Look at Port on the w/end, they are around 300,000 supporters, probably close to us, and they taught Adelaide a much bigger franchise a new one. it can happen

They would all have preferred to play for Hawthorn in 2014 too, Richmond in 2018. That's the real indication of the pattern.

Sustained success will breed a culture where casual supporters follow Fremantle, currently I'd estimate the support from those who wouldn't be able to name more than three Eagles players and asks what happened in the game at work on Monday as being 85% in favor of West Coast.

The trick for Fremantle will be to be performing well year on year for a four to five year window during which those casual supporters decide to come to a game, or bring their children along and start rusting onto Fremantle. That won't happen if we are finishing 9th every season.
You and Cesoir are quite correct in what you are saying.
I don’t think my first post on the subject explained what I actually meant and had more to do with my actual feelings with regard to a Freo at the moment.
Accept my apologies to both of you please.

You and Cesoir are quite correct in what you are saying.
I don’t think my first post on the subject explained what I actually meant and had more to do with my actual feelings with regard to a Freo at the moment.
Accept my apologies to both of you please.
All good Greyhairs, I understood the sentiment behind your post and based on the last few weeks I completely agree. But the positive is we have generally been able to attract and keep players even when maybe they'd rather be somewhere else. If we get back to being successful that will be a heck of a lot easier too!

There’s your answer!
F**k them, self-entitled youngsters don't get to pick who they play for. They should work their ass off and dream about getting drafted/picked up by any of the 18 teams in the AFL.

I don't want to lose Brad Hill but if we lost both Hill's and gor Tim Kelly and Cognilio in return i wouldn't be to angry.

Happy for my son to be picked by anyone other than the Eagles. Just don't know what I'd do if that ever eventuated. Can't even think about it.

You'll be proud as punch because you'll see how hard he has to work to make it. It won't matter what colour he has on the outside then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back