The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, what say you Figbooty? They've been woeful ever since joining the comp but should they AFL reward them for their poor on-field performances with a priority pick?

Also thought it was a bit harsh to bring Stewy Dew's weight into it. Cochrane might be the biggest tool in footy.

I don't blame them for asking for one but the AFL should say no. No team should be gifted priority picks and definitely not pick 1 or any early picks.

If they are going to give our a pick it should have to be at the end of the first round at the earliest so every team has a chance to make a pick before a team has one gifted to them.

whilst they continue to portray themselves as a basketcase that can't get out of their rut they'll continue the churn of young blokes coming in and leaving, without being able to recruit

The lions did the same thing for years until Fagan came in and changed all that, going cap in hand solves nothing

For some strange reason, I completely support Gold Coast getting the first two picks in the draft this year. One time deal Suns, you have my backing.

Well, what say you Figbooty? They've been woeful ever since joining the comp but should they AFL reward them for their poor on-field performances with a priority pick?

Also thought it was a bit harsh to bring Stewy Dew's weight into it. Cochrane might be the biggest tool in footy.

Well the AFL took back the CEO they appointed & then promoted him, so yeah.

The problem is there is no continuity. Every year they lose another mid or utility to other clubs, see Devon Smith, Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel, Matthew Kennedy, Adam Treloar, Jack Steele, Will Hoskin-Elliott...

Yes and it will continue at infinitum because both teams are based in Very difficult AFL environments.
Lacing in intensity, historical significance and real passion for the game.
Both teams are a veneer only, frankly one could not expect much more than what’s developing.
I respect the youngsters that absorb the footy wilderness and remain on with their respective team.
It will take at least a generation, to muster anywhere near the passion of footy base in Victoria.

Go ahead, request a priority pick.. set a young kid back a few years before he asks to be traded somewhere else. Fix your coaching, fix your administration, get in some mature players that actually know how to lead and you'll be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given they have only 2 players on their list over 28, I fail to see how this will help them in anyway. Pick #19 and more access to mature-aged state league players might be a possibility I can't see 1 and #2 eventuating. It's providing some pretty entertaining paranoid melts on our board nonetheless.

Last edited:
whilst they continue to portray themselves as a basketcase that can't get out of their rut they'll continue the churn of young blokes coming in and leaving, without being able to recruit

The lions did the same thing for years until Fagan came in and changed all that, going cap in hand solves nothing
Brisbane lions recieved a Priority pick that they eventually used to secure Charlie Cameron who is their leading Goalkicker this year.

Gold Coast need help.

While Gold Coast need help and you can’t blame them for asking, giving them a priority pick is essentially rewarding them for bad recruiting and/development. A decent puck just got nabbing an older player would be better.

What a surprise since Carlton lost their first round pick to crows typical blue bagel so transperant
Well done explaining the extremely obvious joke

I’d concur with a few other dudes that maybe end of first round is allowable, but it’s pointless without meaningful structural change within the club

I fully support them getting an extra x% of the salary cap that can be used specifically for picking up/attracting players 26+ to their side.

They dont need another pick that would walk.

And then yes there would be the unbelievably unfair nature of the impact to the Crows given the swap deal. Especially considering it seems the top 2 are daylighr ahead of the rest.

Given they have only 2 players on their list over 28, I fail to see how this will help them in anyway. They need mature-agers. I can't see it eventuating but it's providing some pretty entertaining melts on our board.

Maybe Stewy wants to trade some in using the first, cant see how that'd work unless Steve Coniglio is after $money, not going home.
Any Gaz type on offer, cant see it.

We have been worse than the Suns for over 2 years now on a Win/Loss record alone and have not been given one so why should they?

2017 Suns 6 wins / Carlton 6 wins.

2018 Suns 4 wins / Carlton 2 wins.

2019 Currently Suns 3 wins / Carlton 3 wins.

No harm in asking but if we don't get one surely the Suns wont.

Should be given pick to use solely of top mature state leaguers (and not use it to trade)

This always seems to be the default answer in priority pick discussions, but fringe AFL players aren’t the solution and Gold Coast already have enough of them.

What would be of greater benefit to them would be extra discretionary cap space to entice a gun player to sign on a godfather offer, or at least attract a couple of solid B-graders.

Another Melbourne eh?
I was about to say this and the Demons are a true example that this approach is not always fool proof either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back