One past Bulldog to add to our current list

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie Quinlan, early 70s version. Played FF, CHF and CBH for us, and even rucked when Dempsey was absent playing in a state game (for any youngsters, in the "old" days, state games, i.e. pre state-of-origin, were played on the same day as the 6 VFL H&A Saturday games, so any club players picked for the state team missed the H&A games). Could kick a country mile, great mark. Given his height, 193cm, and mobility, he could play mid/forward/back these days. In fact, his first season or so at Fitzroy, he played as an onballer! (Contravenes the "bulk of career" with us, but given he started with us, and is in our hall of fame , and played 177 games for us versus 189 for Lions, hope that's ok?!).

And if it was Templeton vs Beasley, I'd go Beaser every time. Accuracy on a par, Kelvin better at CHF, but Beaser the better contested mark, and great on a lead. Beaser had more campaigner in him too, in spite of his pale, wispy appearance. And that's exactly what we need now, a key forward with some campaigner. Young Minson wouldn't go astray in the ruck either, just tape over his mouth pre-game so he avoids any personal insult trouble.

That’s easy, Pez, Cherry flavoured Pez. No question about it.

Sorry, answer to a different question.

In our current situation Grant is exactly what we need. A general down back in the CHB role. Can also swing fwd.
Dancing Dougy tearing down the wing, hitting targets lace out inside 50 would be handy too.

I never got to see much of Grants as I was a kid in qld for his peak years and just a little tacker for his earlier years. So totally get the love for him.

But bugger me I’d love to see a 2015 version of Jakey Stringer waxing with Naughton in the forward line. Ohhhhh that makes me moist in my special places.

Not sure I’d go for him but as the usual suspects have already been mentioned Scotty Wynd would be pretty handy right now.

And imagine having E.J.

Wynd would be perfect to help out and train English, best ruckman we've had. EJ would only last one game in the current netball version of the game before he'd be suspended for striking or hurting an opposition players feeling by calling him names.

That’s easy, Pez, Cherry flavoured Pez. No question about it.

Sorry, answer to a different question.

In our current situation Grant is exactly what we need. A general down back in the CHB role. Can also swing fwd.
Dancing Dougy tearing down the wing, hitting targets lace out inside 50 would be handy too.
tumblr_ommcncNIL11uq2ghxo6_r1_250.gif

Ted was 184cm, shorter than Wallis, Ed Richards or Crozier, so can't see even him holding down a kpd spot in the current age. Times sure have changed.

Look, hed be great but we would get 1 game out of him, he'd be reported 12 times and be suspended for the rest of the season.

Lead and mark full forwards are relics, wouldt stand a chance in todays defensive presses.

Id love to say Dougie just to see him play, but if I was super pragmatic, id say Chris Grant who would slot into CHB flawlessly

Wynd would be perfect to help out and train English, best ruckman we've had. EJ would only last one game in the current netball version of the game before he'd be suspended for striking or hurting an opposition players feeling by calling him names.

Wynd nd was one of the GAME’s best tap ruckmen, not just ours. Underrated in other areas but his actual Ruck work was brilliant and in his Brownlow year his around the ground possessions was great too. Bont would get another 5 clearances in the centre every week without having to break stride. Darcy spent first 7 years of his career under Scott’s wing. Poor young Tim’s support network is Trengove, Schache, Dunkley and Lin Jong!

When you think about ruck dominance against us this year, Wynd gets us home against Pies at least once and we win against Norf and Gold Coast comfortably. Wynd gets us close to top four on those results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turtle is the obvious one though. He'd be short by modern standards (193cm as a KPP) but he was so good with the ball in hand and just had an aura about him.

lol, remember Andrew Purser - 193cm and a ruck

Would love to have Johnno playing, he wasnt called the smiling assassin for nothing. I lost count of how many games he's won off his own boot.

Wynd nd was one of the GAME’s best tap ruckmen, not just ours. Underrated in other areas but his actual Ruck work was brilliant and in his Brownlow year his around the ground possessions was great too. Bont would get another 5 clearances in the centre every week without having to break stride. Darcy spent first 7 years of his career under Scott’s wing. Poor young Tim’s support network is Trengove, Schache, Dunkley and Lin Jong!

When you think about ruck dominance against us this year, Wynd gets us home against Pies at least once and we win against Norf and Gold Coast comfortably. Wynd gets us close to top four on those results.

And he’d go back and take huge game saving marks in defense saving us many of the goals we’d leaked this year.

People underrate the importance of a gun ruckman in the 2019 rules.

Reckon we have a crack at Sauce - offer him a great 2 year salary deal and get him off Adelaide’s books for a cheap late trade.

And if it was Templeton vs Beasley, I'd go Beaser every time. Accuracy on a par, Kelvin better at CHF, but Beaser the better contested mark, and great on a lead. Beaser had more campaigner in him too, in spite of his pale, wispy appearance. And that's exactly what we need now, a key forward with some campaigner. Young Minson wouldn't go astray in the ruck either, just tape over his mouth pre-game so he avoids any personal insult trouble.

Agree with some of what you say and worshipped both of them as a kid/teenager/young adult but Kelvin would fit into today’s game better than Simon. Beasley has the size needed today but Templeton had a wider skill set. He had better ground skills, could snap a goal better, was a better user of the ball in a team situation and moved better. It’s why his move to CHF was so easy.

Not diminishing Beasley’s career at all. He had more dominant games than KT - 5 double figure games and a bunch of 8-9 hauls as well. And his size would bring the ball down a lot more. Bont running out of the centre square to Beaser on the lead into space would be hard to stop.

But he played in a much better side than Kelvin, started with us as ready made 25 yo gun from WA who kicked 80 goals first year whereas Kelvin kicked 80 as a 19 yo ( yep same age as Naughton) and injuries ruined him before he even got to Simon’s starting age.

I’m a bit biased - Kelvin was my first real footy hero, Simon was his replacement - but after all that I reckon Bevo would take Grant, even Foster ( and Quinlan) over both of them because of his versatility obsession.

Doug Hawkins - the 6/6/6 rules make wingmen more valuable than ever, and the Hawk would dominate. Brilliant on either foot, and just a little bit of mongrel to intimidate the opposition.

Yeah imagine Hawk getting Hunter’s 30 possessions instead of Lachie ( not demeaning Hunter but...) in our high possession game . Left AND right ( wouldn’t get cornered), wouldn’t backtrack, faster, super mark for his size - so often was the kick out target ( sure there was no defensive structures back then, just kick to Hawk v whoever) and would not miss those goals from 30 out. Would have to rein in that “bit” of mongrel though.

Steve kolyniuk or Steve kretiuk for mine
Need some mongrel, both provide plenty.
Need some old school St Albans in the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back