Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindsight is a lovely thing. Naughton was a defender, no one, not a single person predicted him being a gun afl forward. We needed midfielders more than we needed defenders. Dogs played him their because Boyd and Schacke are spuds. Not a single afl recruiter would've overlooked Cerra. Also worth noting how ridiculously poorly coached Cerra has been. We're suppose to be rebuilding, yet Cerra, Brayshaw and Blakely barely spend time in the middle. That "rebuild" hey?
We have seen that Naughton can play forward now.
Or Naughton is playing forward

He had the tools on display in his predraft year. We still needed midfielders though.

The fact is that gun mids either cost you millions in free agency money or cost you millions and multiple first round picks - you may as well draft them.

Hindsight is a lovely thing. Naughton was a defender, no one, not a single person predicted him being a gun afl forward. We needed midfielders more than we needed defenders. Dogs played him their because Boyd and Schacke are spuds. Not a single afl recruiter would've overlooked Cerra. Also worth noting how ridiculously poorly coached Cerra has been. We're suppose to be rebuilding, yet Cerra, Brayshaw and Blakely barely spend time in the middle. That "rebuild" hey?

Naughton was a talent, had kicked clutch goals for Peel. You didn't have to be a Rhodes scholar to see that he could play either end. I posted a heap on here that Naughton was the best KP prospect I had seen in a lot of years watching the game and I,m certainly not a Rhodes scholar. Why our club couldn't see that is still beyond me.
Cerra is slow ,to slow to play outside mid , until he bulks up and gets to bust through congestion he is not suitable to play inside. Nothing against Cerra , he is now ours but good mids were available later in the draft.

He had the tools on display in his predraft year. We still needed midfielders though.

The fact is that gun mids either cost you millions in free agency money or cost you millions and multiple first round picks - you may as well draft them.

Gun KP,S GET 10 year contracts at millions per season.:)

Why the heck did we re sign Ballas again? This is why Freo are such soft managers. Gotta be ruthless and say enoughs enough. Contributed nothing this season, playing meh for Peel.
Please don’t tell me he ll get a farewell game soon.
Do you mean he just re-signed for 2020 or are you talking about 2019? If the former I need to head to the melt thread.

Do you mean he just re-signed for 2020 or are you talking about 2019? If the former I need to head to the melt thread.
I meant for this season, sorry. Was just thinking in terms of how the year gone. Felt Bennell and Ballas were sentimental signings, and as a club should’ve acted more ruthlessly

You could Sandi as well.

Giro, Crowden , Duman and Colyer until 2021.

Several questionable calls have been made
Sandi has earned his. I was massively against Colyer so can't disagree there.

The other 3 I don't have a problem with. Those blokes will be on bottom dollar and are just as likely (and I'd argue probably more likely) than any pick 100 to make it as a player.

AFL subreddit has like 3 different people saying Johanissen is coming to Freo next year. Now, people in that thread are also saying Hill to Hawthorn which has zero chance of happening but have I missed something on the JJ front?
**** I hope not. Dude may have won a Normy but geez he can butcher the ball. Will cost a mint too. Gross.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight is great - but if we had our time again I reckon the club should have delisted 2 or 3 of Ballas, Kersten and Harley.
Would’ve put HB on the rookie list and used the other two picks to get development players like:
Pina, O’Reilly and Stack.
Sure there are others but these three were in our backyard.
Stack - look what we know now!!
May have needed to get out of WA but s**t the fella can play footy and is tough as all buggery.
O’Reilly - got him mid-season - lost a pre-season of development if we intended to get him???
Pina - should have got him mid season or last, he is a jet, exactly what we need distributing from the back half- Roger Hayden like.

Hindsight is great - but if we had our time again I reckon the club should have delisted 2 or 3 of Ballas, Kersten and Harley.
Would’ve put HB on the rookie list and used the other two picks to get development players like:
Pina, O’Reilly and Stack.
Sure there are others but these three were in our backyard.
Stack - look what we know now!!
May have needed to get out of WA but s**t the fella can play footy and is tough as all buggery.
O’Reilly - got him mid-season - lost a pre-season of development if we intended to get him???
Pina - should have got him mid season or last, he is a jet, exactly what we need distributing from the back half- Roger Hayden like.
I wanted Stack as much as anyone pre-draft but him not being picked had nothing to do with ability. I am not sure knowing that he is awesome at AFL level would change our decision either.

I wanted Stack as much as anyone pre-draft but him not being picked had nothing to do with ability. I am not sure knowing that he is awesome at AFL level would change our decision either.

Stack could only succeed out of WA. Needed to get away from bad influences.

Yeah as a regular poster and active member of r/AFL I can tell you the whole JJ thing is just a piss take. Another absolute pisstake is the fact that I'm most well known on there for being the guy who lost a two year flair bet :/

JJ to Freo is just a circlejerk trade rumour because of a popular rumour a few years ago where apparently he was a sure thing to come here. Nothing to take seriously.
So was Jesse Hogan...

Not saying it'll happen but many Freo fans groaned because the Hogan rumours were just getting old. I was one of those yet here he is.

Remembered trying to find Naughton on the team sheet that GF day. Shocked Dawson was playing and Naughton, who played 20 or so games for the local team, was left out. Can imagine that leaving a bitter taste

Happened to my sister's ex-boyfriend many years ago. He was playing for Claremont, had played every game that season, but was dropped to make way for Mark Hepburn at the behest of Mick Malthouse. He missed out on a premiership and was devastated. Hepburn tried to give him his medal, but he wouldn't take it. He then spent a year at Collingwood before getting delisted, and came back to Perth but refused to go back to Claremont. He ended up playing for West Perth for about the next 8 years, including some time as captain. He won a premiership or two with them, and may have been captain for one of them, but I can't remember exactly.

Yeah as a regular poster and active member of r/AFL I can tell you the whole JJ thing is just a piss take. Another absolute pisstake is the fact that I'm most well known on there for being the guy who lost a two year flair bet :/
To be fair, who would have thought we'd lose to GC.

Happened to my sister's ex-boyfriend many years ago. He was playing for Claremont, had played every game that season, but was dropped to make way for Mark Hepburn at the behest of Mick Malthouse. He missed out on a premiership and was devastated. Hepburn tried to give him his medal, but he wouldn't take it. He then spent a year at Collingwood before getting delisted, and came back to Perth but refused to go back to Claremont. He ended up playing for West Perth for about the next 8 years, including some time as captain. He won a premiership or two with them, and may have been captain for one of them, but I can't remember exactly.

Remember this, Brendan Barrows was a few years older when I played colts.
Big stink at the time because Mick Malthouse used all WAFL clubs up and treated them like s**t - the corporate juggernaut that they were/are.

I know that Neesham was majorly pissed about this and it really spurned a dislike between him and Malthouse and the Eagles hierarchy in general.

Saw Brendan at the store in Borden a few years ago now and I mentioned the GF, he wryly smiled - with his four top teeth missing - and said that having played every game for the year and to get dropped because the Eagles/Malthouse insisted Hepburn play was utter crap.
I laughed dropped my top four teeth out and he pissed himself laughing and said it was like he was looking in a mirror.

AFL subreddit has like 3 different people saying Johanissen is coming to Freo next year. Now, people in that thread are also saying Hill to Hawthorn which has zero chance of happening but have I missed something on the JJ front?
I swear I read an article last week where he said he never considered leaving dogs, even though eagles were chasing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back