List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Goldy need help, they can have it this year as outside the top two its an even spread. Our salvation is in free agents and top 10 picks over the next 3 years.
Edit: Plus they are losing King and Lukosius.
Goldy need help!! FM change of coaches and change of players will see us non competitive for the next 5 years.

The Goldy need help, they can have it this year as outside the top two its an even spread. Our salvation is in free agents and top 10 picks over the next 3 years.
Edit: Plus they are losing King and Lukosius.

Think Gold Coast more likely to get picks 1- 2 this year
If they get Rowell / Anderson combo they are more likely to stay , little doubt Adelaide offer pick 3 & player
to Gold Coast for Lukosius then they get 1 2 3 . agree the next 10 picks a lottery .DH ...

Williams or Kemp will be still there in my opinion for our pick .

Doubt the Gold Coast can hold Rankine either long term.

If they get Rowell / Anderson combo they are more likely to stay , little doubt Adelaide offer pick 3 & player
to Gold Coast for Lukosius then they get 1 2 3 . agree the next 10 picks a lottery .DH ...

Dont see gold Coast getting pick 1

I understand when bottom teams get extra picks when they are floundering against all clubs and are non competitive but Gold Coast have not. They have come within one kick of beating us twice this year. Does that equate to them getting 2 top 3 picks? We'll again get pushed down the draft order with one - and the talent level drops off real quick.

Dont see gold Coast getting pick 1

Mate doubt Gold Coast beat Carlton in 2 weeks time playing down here .
They’re cooked.
Could be wrong but no incentive to win games for Gold Coast

Look I am still a fan of Acres but Colin Young is manager of Blake & Brad Hill , would expect
given developments over in the West , If we had pick 4 or 5 and Freo had pick 7 / 8 would you
swap picks and players given their ages , my mail is Hill is on big coin .

I understand when bottom teams get extra picks when they are floundering against all clubs and are non competitive but Gold Coast have not. They have come within one kick of beating us twice this year. Does that equate to them getting 2 top 3 picks? We'll again get pushed down the draft order with one - and the talent level drops off real quick.

Agree with DH think this years draft really even from 3 - 12 ...

Mate doubt Gold Coast beat Carlton in 2 weeks time playing down here .
They’re cooked.
Could be wrong but no incentive to win games for Gold Coast

Look I am still a fan of Acres but Colin Young is manager of Blake & Brad Hill , would expect
given developments over in the West , If we had pick 4 or 5 and Freo had pick 7 / 8 would you
swap picks and players given their ages , my mail is Hill is on big coin .
Sorry I meant i don't see the AFL giving them pick 1 or 2 as a priority pick maybe a pick later in the draft

[QUOTE="Doug Hogan 23, post: 61725239, Plus they are losing King and Lukosius.
[/QUOTE]

This year??

Well I guess you cant blame GC for asking right?

But we are in a damn similar boat!!

Barring some miracle, neither us or GC will have won a final in 9 years. Plus, we have only won 13 more games than them across those 9 seasons (and if you take out their first year it is about 4 or so games we are ahead). That's it!

That is despite them having much more AFL assistance than us. Since 2010, GC have had 27 first rounders. That's an entire team plus emergencies they have had to pick at the pointy end of the draft (not including the priority 17yo players they got).

Despite our very similar results, we have only had 11 first round picks.

Yes I get that they needed to manufacture their players from somewhere. But surely the last bloody thing they need is more first round draft picks!

Last edited:

Can't see Gold Coast getting 1 & 2. If the get a priority I think it will be end of first round, not pick 2.

The Lukosius offer - I am not sure a draftee can move after just 1 year? So maybe that deal is next year. And why not get GC to develop him and use your pick 2 on another special talent. They will get Lukosius eventually - probably as he is coming into his peak.

If we can't get Anderson or Rowell, and that is likely, then Kemp looks the go for us IMHO.

Barring some miracle, neither us or GC will have won a final in 9 years. Plus, we have only won 13 more games than them across those 9 seasons (and if you take out their first year it is about 4 or so games we are ahead). That's it!

I am not sure if it is still the case but used to be to qualify for priority pick you had to win 5 or less games 2 years in a row.

Poor friggin Gold Coast, priority picks arnt going to help when your club is a poop stain, relocate them to Tassie if they are struggling that much.

Lions seem to go ok up there

Yes I get that they needed to manufacture their players from somewhere. But surely the last bloody thing they need is more first round draft picks!
All they do is manufacture players for big clubs.
Between them and gws..
Richmond. Lynch, prestia, caddy.
Collingwood. Adams, treloar, WHE.
Essendon. Smith, shiel, saad.

Dixon, keath, crouch, mckenzie to SA, McCarthy, bennell to WA.
Tom boyd premiership hero.
Now geelong has ablett back.
Jaeger hawks, may and kolo at melb.
We were lucky enough to get steele and bruce, only because neither could get a game at a loaded gws.

Not only did the new clubs compromise the drafts for 4-5 years as our 09-10 team bottomed out, but they have fed quality players to teams above us, holding us down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quote from and article in 2017

The SUNS chairman said the new facility – unveiled to media on Thursday – now made them a "fair-dinkum club" and he expected the results to follow.

He described 2017 as a make-or-break year, but stopped short of demanding a maiden finals appearance.

"We're a fair-dinkum club now,"Cochrane told the media.

"We've got a great playing list, a very good coaching staff and now we've got the last bit of the triad, which is to move into a fair-dinkum facility.

"I think this year we've got a very, very strong playing list, we've got some depth for the first time ever and everybody in this club, whether you're the coach or the cleaner, they know this is a really critical year in the history of the Gold Coast Football Club.

"This is a make-or-break year, we've got to be a success this year."

Giving draft picks to a club that cannot keep players is literally like smashing your head against the wall. Look at Brisbane and Melbourne it only started changing when they changed there player welfare, development, culture etc. The gold coast would be better off trying to get Paul Roos as an adviser for a year or Craig Lambert to oversee their player welfare. Altenrtively the AFL could spend the money to allow the GC reserves team to play in the VFL

Can't see Gold Coast getting 1 & 2. If the get a priority I think it will be end of first round, not pick 2.

The Lukosius offer - I am not sure a draftee can move after just 1 year? So maybe that deal is next year. And why not get GC to develop him and use your pick 2 on another special talent. They will get Lukosius eventually - probably as he is coming into his peak.

If we can't get Anderson or Rowell, and that is likely, then Kemp looks the go for us IMHO.

Tom Boyd moved after one year.

The calls for Tasmania are mysterious for me , knowing the football landscape lived there for a while.

Talk to people on the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast have mates there mostly ex Victorian’s junior football
numbers are huge , local competitions strong .
The issue for mine is the Club was set up completely wrong if it had been attached to existing club with
a history supporter base it would have been competitive .
A bigger issue is the decline in the football gene pool , country football is stuffed , youth under age football
in suburban areas for ages 16 -17 years in crisis , soccer & basketball making huge in roads .
Private schools dominating the remaining landscape , whilst the Aus Kick program works well the major
growth is in female participation , young male involvement is in major decline .

If that happens we get hurt again. We went from pick 3 to pick 4 last year as a result of Lynch’s free agency move to Richmond.

More draft picks don’t help Gold Coast. There is a fair chance their first three picks from last year will all want to leave. They have an issue retaining players which they have to fix. Extra charity draft picks don’t help them with the their underlying problems.

Gold Coast haven’t played finals in 9 years. Saints haven’t played finals in 8 years. If they get an extra pick so should we. And in my view neither club should get one.

If the AFL wants to really help us lower the Father/Son threshold to under 100 games to say 75 games. Anderson and Young then are ours. How stiff are we that their fathers each played more than 90 games for the club. Dead set unlucky when you consider father/son eligibility has gone from 25 games, to 50 and now 100.

Hawthorn would also have dibs on Anderson. Not sure who the kid barracks for but i think it’s obvious which club he would choose. Dean played 83 for Hawks and 67 for us

Hawthorn would also have dibs on Anderson. Not sure who the kid barracks for but i think it’s obvious which club he would choose. Dean played 83 for Hawks and 67 for us

I think someone said he was a Saints supporter. Dean is on our board and finished with us.

Tom Boyd moved after one year.

The calls for Tasmania are mysterious for me , knowing the football landscape lived there for a while.

Talk to people on the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast have mates there mostly ex Victorian’s junior football
numbers are huge , local competitions strong .
The issue for mine is the Club was set up completely wrong if it had been attached to existing club with
a history supporter base it would have been competitive .
A bigger issue is the decline in the football gene pool , country football is stuffed , youth under age football
in suburban areas for ages 16 -17 years in crisis , soccer & basketball making huge in roads .
Private schools dominating the remaining landscape , whilst the Aus Kick program works well the major
growth is in female participation , young male involvement is in major decline .

In hindsight think the AFL would have been better off to have given the license to Southport Sharks who applied when the Suns were first mooted.
Strong club, strong supporter base, IMO Suns/Sharks would have probably gone close to success already.

That is despite them having much more AFL assistance than us. Since 2010, GC have had 27 first rounders. That's an entire team plus emergencies they have had to pick at the pointy end of the draft (not including the priority 17yo players they got).

Despite our very similar results, we have only had 11 first round picks.

But they are not asking for a PP on the basis of being hopeless.

Their position is that they are battling away on the frontier trying to get locals to do one of two things:

A) give a hairy * about AFL

or

B) switch from whatever club they originally supported to the Suns

...and to do that they need stars, not just good players. All you auld arses have conceded that while the Saints in the 1980s were beyond redemption, the team always had stars to keep people coming to games. I think that's what the Suns believe will give them something viable before they've really become established.

It's hard to believe the Saints of the eighties would be a role model for anyone, but that just goes to show how desperate the poor souls at GCS are!

And while we are struggling, we are situated inside the heartland of football, and have an established following stretching back over a century, such as it is. We have only ourselves to blame, and really with the right decisions made, we'll be fine. Plus AFL have just given us our CEO and DoF from the top of their organisation. (Can they cherry pick the best of the best for our coach and list manager too?)

Two different cases. If we want tangible pity from AFL house, maybe we should move to NZ, NT or Tassie.

Our list is far better than what people are saying - this is our main core of players and we have only have 6 guys over 25yrs of age.

You bring in a Coniglio , Langdon , Tomlinson , Draper you have a list as good or better than any team around
and I'm not even including Steven , Roberton who could easily be playing next year.

Paton - Carlisle - Webster
Wilkie - Battle - Savage
Billings - Steele / Coniglio - Ross / Tomlinson
Membery - Bruce - Parker
Gresham - King - Lonie

Marshall - Ross / Langdon - Hannebery

Hunter Clark , Coffield , Hind , Acres , Kent , Long , McKenzie , Marsh , Clavarino , Bytel , White , Sinclair

you may laugh at saying we will not get a Coniglio , but with our salary cap we will be getting someone.
WOW, what a side. Especially love Tomlinson on the wing. That hard running link between back and forward.....

Pick 4 as it stands right now.

I'd be happy with that as I'd say Melbourne would grab Young at 3, leaving us to grab the best mid. Probably Kemp at this stage although I'd like to see him perform well in the midfield for the rest of the year.
What about Tom Green?
Cripps comparisons apparently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back