Autopsy Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

one thing out of todays game Steele almost broke the tackling record - 18 today
One record he might have broken was pressure points.

Had a whopping 111 of them! :oops:

I reckon the most I'd ever seen anyone get in a game before this was 80-odd. 111 is off the charts!

How did this disappear? I know footy is far more scrutinised but other teams still have this - on the weekend Cunnington, Ziebell.
Is this because of the good character criteria that was introduced by Trout?
I just don't recognise a saints team with no mongrel, no edge.

You mean that sniping Cunnington who just got fined $5000 for his FIFTH infringement for punching Gresh in the guts?

Meanwhile Bakes...

You mean that sniping Cunnington who just got fined $5000 for his FIFTH infringement for punching Gresh in the guts?

Meanwhile Bakes...
How did the pigeon umpire not see it

I reckon bakes thinks he deserves everything he got. Well I’m certain. He would get less now.

You’re probably correct about Bakes and it’s a vastly different game now, but my point re the Roos sniper still stands.

Meanwhile Bakes...
Bakes a good example of a saint that used to find a way of getting into the opposition.

It's all still there in the game but players have just gotten smarter, less obvious like the old school thuggery.

We are easily pushed around...players are too focused on being in the right place and following instructions instead of reading the play while it unfolds and standing up for your team mates.

Why didn't any saints player get into him?

Acres did get involved helping someone at one stage, I can’t remember which incident it was though. There were a few. Think there was a chicken wing at one stage too .

Acres did get involved helping someone at one stage, I can’t remember which incident it was though. There were a few. Think there was a chicken wing at one stage too .
We don't have any enforcers (I'd like one on each line). The better teams can physically impose themselves on an opposition. We were ordinary in that area on the weekend. When opposition throw their weight around we wonder off meekly.

Four times this year we've lost a quarter by more than 31 points.

Round 7 v GWS: lost 1st quarter by 37 points, final margin 44 points.
Round 9 v Collingwood: lost 4th quarter by 36 points, final margin 41 points.
Round 14 v Brisbane: lost 3rd quarter by 50 points, final margin 56 points.
Round 16 v North Melbourne: lost 1st quarter by 40 points, final margin 39 points.

Certainly a theme there.

Get ready for no.5 and no.6 in the same game against the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more thing about this game, to state the obvious the start absolutely stuffed us.

The Saints did try and play attacking footy after 1/4 time but this played in to North's hands. North played that old boring Hawthorn style once they had the lead of chip chip chip, while the Saunts were trying to run and spread and couldn't.

The attack on the players as not having a go is in my opinion unwarranted, the only time North attacked was in the first quarter. Then they slowed it right down and players like Cunnington came in to their own. Marshall, Billings, Bruce all had huge games. We have a player in Clark. When we got back to 15 points behind we turned it over going in to the forward 50 and they kicked a goal on the rebound and that was it.

As stated the micdfield let us down in the first, strategically players where put in the middle to late ie Acres and Clark they s hould have started there. Reckon we are missing just one or two players of class ....i have faith in Clark developing needs support

Had enough of this mob at the moment. Weak as pi$$ effort from the club that expects us to keep supporting yet gives little back.

One more thing about this game, to state the obvious the start absolutely stuffed us.

The Saints did try and play attacking footy after 1/4 time but this played in to North's hands. North played that old boring Hawthorn style once they had the lead of chip chip chip, while the Saunts were trying to run and spread and couldn't.

The attack on the players as not having a go is in my opinion unwarranted, the only time North attacked was in the first quarter. Then they slowed it right down and players like Cunnington came in to their own. Marshall, Billings, Bruce all had huge games. We have a player in Clark. When we got back to 15 points behind we turned it over going in to the forward 50 and they kicked a goal on the rebound and that was it.

As stated the micdfield let us down in the first, strategically players where put in the middle to late ie Acres and Clark they s hould have started there. Reckon we are missing just one or two players of class ....i have faith in Clark developing needs support

For all those years in the doldrums , Armitage and Steven held up the midfield, our current lot are way worse than they were.
Both of them were probably battling above their averages, but way better than our current insiders.

Well all I can say is he told me he deserved it. Dal actually said on sen a few weeks ago it was a tactic by bakes to deliberately hurt the player. He apparently did it often

Yeah he wasn't saying he shouldn't have copped it, but i am. The rules simply didn't say that someone could get rubbed out without knowing what the action was.

He admitted what he did, he'd wait until his opponent was running close to him, and stop suddenly with his shoulder in a prominent position.
He was a bit of an artist Mr Baker.
If he'd been around in medieval day's he'd have been some sort of happy go lucky version of Ramsey Bolton.

One thing he related was that he copped a little bump on on spot on his arm and he thought it hurt like s**t. So when he lined up on his opponent he kept doing little punches to that spot, not overly hard , but all in the same spot.
He said the guy was almost in tears when he left the ground.

Yeah he wasn't saying he shouldn't have copped it, but i am. The rules simply didn't say that someone could get rubbed out without knowing what the action was.

He admitted what he did, he'd wait until his opponent was running close to him, and stop suddenly with his shoulder in a prominent position.
He was a bit of an artist Mr Baker.
If he'd been around in medieval day's he'd have been some sort of happy go lucky version of Ramsey Bolton.

One thing he related was that he copped a little bump on on spot on his arm and he thought it hurt like s**t. So when he lined up on his opponent he kept doing little punches to that spot, not overly hard , but all in the same spot.
He said the guy was almost in tears when he left the ground.
Well I thought we struggled sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back