Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see Shai leaving now if he continues to perform at this level for the remainder of the season. However, many others on our list will be nervous, some of whom are decent performers. Even accounting for the quality of Saturday's opposition, I can see us retaining every one of the players out there that day. That means that Butler, Weller, Menadue, Garthwaite, C Moore and Markov may be looking for new homes in 2020. Tough for the players but shows up the quality of our list managers' decisions in recent years.

Bolton unselfish...
09kpBbZ.gif

Didn't see the match, O/S at the moment, but no need to retain Butler.
Will command a good price.
Best wishes.
Lloyd has gone on to achieve great things at the Doggies.
Butler, Weller, Grigg, perhaps Ellis too, can depart.
As you say, retain Bolton.
Who will command a good price? Butler wouldn't

Been saying it for weeks that his best VFL footy has been when in the middle and that we were playing him out of position at AFL level.

Must be part of our midfield rotation now.
Correct. I've been saying it since the draft. Look at the draft video. Swerving run, long stride, bounces down the wing and goal kicking from 50.

When in space, is the closest looking player to Peter Matera that I've seen.

Last edited:
He was great on the weekend, but I was at the game and it was a training run so hard to read a lot from it.

I would like to see him have more consistent impactful games against good opposition in key moments.

An area to improve on his game is his consistency, he is still invisible or fades in and out a little too often for more liking. That should develop with age and experience, but it's not certain to be with us at RFC.

He was great on the weekend, but I was at the game and it was a training run so hard to read a lot from it.

I would like to see him have more consistent impactful games against good opposition in key moments.

An area to improve on his game is his consistency, he is still invisible or fades in and out a little too often for more liking. That should develop with age and experience, but it's not certain to be with us at RFC.
Strikes me as an all or nothing player...all out attack then nothing! Or nothing then all out attack...not sure if it's going to be ever evened out with experience, might just be in his nature...still his 'all out' is pretty damm good in a good side!

Starting to build some confidence , some nice plays out of the middle . Out of the smalls , he looks the most natural as a mid , love him to repeat that v GWS . I reckon the 5 indigenous lads playing together gets them excited , should help us re signing them too
5 indigenous players in the same team....that'd have to be some kind of record wouldn't it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strikes me as an all or nothing player...all out attack then nothing! Or nothing then all out attack...not sure if it's going to be ever evened out with experience, might just be in his nature...still his 'all out' is pretty damm good in a good side!
What shai has besides all the tricks and skills is a real ability over head. I really like the way he makes himself available as the hit up option and the way he makes space to get an uncontested mark and what is happening now is the boys have confidence in him and are looking for him

This week's unsung hero and deserves the Rising Star Nomination. Got 2 coaches votes against the Suns

Richmond: Shai Bolton

When a team is as dominant as Richmond was against the Gold Coast Suns, it’s difficult to select just one Unsung Hero but Shai Bolton was at the top of the list. His work around the ground and pressure was elite, collecting his 26 disposals evenly across Richmond’s offensive and defensive halves. Bolton finished the game with nine marks, six inside 50s and two goals, to go with his career-high disposal tally.

Shai-Bolton-760x438.jpg

So Shai has 16 disposals, 2 marks, 7 tackles and kicks 4 against the Dockers and gets overlooked for Gryan Miers who has 22 disposals and kicks 1 goal.

He then has 26 disposals, 9 marks, 4 tackles and kicks 2 goals and gets overlooked again for someone who has 11 disposals, 5 marks and 5 goals.

They went with Larkey who has played his FIRST good game of the year and ignored Shai who has played his 2nd great game.

Shai deserved it this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back