Review Showdown 47 Post Mortem - Port Federers v Adelaide Tomics

It could be the most entertaining selection night in a decade or more. It would appear as though alot of Crows supporters have had enough. I'm surprised with how quiet this board is. Five years ago a loss like that would have sent this board into full meltdown.
Imagine...

In: Sauce, Knight
Out: R.O.B, Gooch (concussion)

Our selection thread alone will break the servers.

It could be the most entertaining selection night in a decade or more. It would appear as though alot of Crows supporters have had enough. I'm surprised with how quiet this board is. Five years ago a loss like that would have sent this board into full meltdown.
Imagine every few nights a dog does a s**t on your front lawn and there's nothing you can do to stop it. For about a week you'd be livid, for a few weeks pissed off, but eventually you'd just come to expect it. Sometimes it'd be a week or two between shits but just when you think it's stopped you'd wake up to another one.

Eventually you'd grow to expect it. It would still be disappointing to wake up and see yet another steamer on your front lawn but you know by now it's not worth getting angry over anymore because why would you expect any different?

Which is why it’s staggering that any recognition at all would go to any of our mids.

13 x I50’s - what an absolute basket case our midfield was.
Yet we refused to change either our personnel or the tactics. Mystifying in the last quarter after being smashed in the 3rd.

13 x I50’s for 1.3 in a half of footy.

I think we’re talking an all time low.

Be interested to know where that sits amongst the most disgusting performances in club history.
3rd lowest pressure effort by any slide this year in the 2nd half.

This is why the axe must be taken to the side.

What kills me about Sloane is that v GWS he gets thrown up forward and kick 2 crucial last quarter goals, and in his presser Pyke says we had to keep him on field because we were down 3 rotations.

But on Saturday do you think we’d see any move at all to help Sloane? Forward , back , wing - anything at all to free him up ?

Nope, just left him there to rot under a hard tag.
Exactly.

Simple Sloane up forward & Milera on ball to give us much needed speed... but no, we rotated the Crouches, Sloane & Greenwood & they made us look slow.

With all those coaches is the box, how about they get off their bloody computers & watch the actual game as you didn't need to be Einstein to work out we needed to change up the midfield.

I'm not sold that anything is learned by the fourth. The game was over. We lost the game in the first and second, which allowed the start of the third to be decisive.

What they did in the third this game is pretty similar to what they did in the first showdown last year, and the first one this year (in the fourth). The difference was we butchered easy shots at goal constantly, and didnt have a score board buffer.

The entire last quarter and a half was effectively playing for time once the game was done.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

That’s a disgrace.

I reckon they went into half time thinking they had it won and all they had to do was kick straight, I know that’s what I thought.

Then we kick the first goal in 30 secs, another quick miss and that’s it we are on a roll and then bang and we couldn’t flick the switch, it was pathetic.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s a disgrace.

I reckon they went into half time thinking they had it won and all they had to do was kick straight, I know that’s what I thought.

Then we kick the first goal in 30 secs, another quick miss and that’s it we are on a roll and then bang and we couldn’t flick the switch, it was pathetic.
Frustrating thing was the way we gave up the corridor all game. That’s what kept them efficient early, waltzing through the middle.

That’s partially the mids but it’s also on the coaches to implement a plan that denies the corridor

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'll still be pissed off, but I'm beyond caring.

These dickheads continue to make the same stupid mistakes that they have for years. Not worth getting worked up about anymore.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
That’s a disgrace.

Really?

I wish I had your optimism, I was not confident at all. At half time I actually thought the scoreboard flattered us, Port seemed to be cleaner and far more fluid with their ball use and were far better at finding targets going forward.

While I didn't expect a capitulation like that, I did see some warning signs in that first half that we were struggling when they were moving the ball quickly and worried that we could be in some trouble if Port got a run on.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really?

I was never confident at all. At half time I actually thought the scoreboard flattered us, Port seemed to be cleaner and far more fluid with their ball use and were better at finding targets going forward.

While I didn't expect a capitulation like that, I did see some warning signs in that first half that their speed was worrying us and if they got a run on that we could be in some trouble.
Yeah they were a threat but we dominated play overall, the scoring shots tells you that. We had far more inside 50s, we just kicked s**t.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Yeah they were a threat but we dominated play overall, the scoring shots tells you that. We had far more inside 50s, we just kicked s**t.

Yeah, but it was the same old story.

We continually let ourselves down due to poor inside 50 entries ie kicking to pockets expecting guys like Murphy and Betts to take contested marks. Our forward line structure once again was a complete joke as was our delivery into the 50.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
We may need to accept eventually that you have to be a good forward to play in the forward line.

It is a unique, sought after and difficult skill.

You can't park mids and utilities there and expect them to go ok. Only the elite can play mid/fwd and have a consistent impact (Dustin Martin).

HFF has been a death sentence for a growing string of our players. Douglas, Lyons, Milera, Gallucci, Poholke etc. Not because they can't play the game or have no talent, but that they aren't suited to the role.

When you play pseudo forwards they drift up to the ball or into non-dangerous positions and we find ourselves outnumbered forward of the play.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

Speaking on Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Riewoldt said it was “pretty clear that Adelaide waved the white flag”.

Riewoldt then presented vision that showed Power forward Steven Motlop involved in a stoppage on the wing before sprinting past four Crows players on his way to snapping a goal inside 50.

“He puts about 60m on these blokes before the time he actually receives the footy and kicks a goal,” Riewoldt told On The Couch.

“When you see that type of vision, that’s when you know the players have given up. There’s trying and there’s really trying. I don’t think any player goes out there ever to not try … but that’s effort, pure and simple.”

asdfasd

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
Inaccurate summation and what happens when you post prematurely before it ends. Should read:
“Worst 2nd half performance I can remember from the boys..”

Tex nearly kicked 2 in a row then everything just stopped. Hardly any forward entries. And if there was, no forward was around to compete!

This was reminiscent to the loss to North last year. Only difference was we played crap in the first half then, as opposed to the second half today. Absolute shambles!

Hold your beer:

2017 Grand Final beats the weekend. By far.

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
Nah we were worse Saturday.

Playing at home against an opponent who isn't that good, we kicked 1.3..... and 1.1 of those in the first minute.

Showdown performance beats a Grand Final which we were raging favorites to win after 20 years of mediocrity? Not in my book.

The 2nd half meltdown in the GF given the context of the game and the dominant year sickened me to the stomach.

The weekend was bad but only carries home town bragging rights until the next Showdown. I can live till then.

I can't and probably wont ever excuse the meltdown by this club in the 17 GF.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Showdown performance beats a Grand Final which we were raging favorites to win after 20 years of mediocrity? Not in my book.

The 2nd half meltdown in the GF given the context of the game and the dominant year sickened me to the stomach.

The weekend was bad but only carries home town bragging rights until the next Showdown. I can live till then.

I can't and probably wont ever excuse the meltdown by this club in the 17 GF.

To even try to compare the two is foolish. 10 showdown meltdowns still wouldn't equal the woeful 2nd half performance in the GF.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
To even try to compare the two is foolish. 10 showdown meltdowns still wouldn't equal the woeful 2nd half performance in the GF.
The occasion was worse sure, but the actual performance Saturday night was far worse.

Back