Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Australia has a deeply racist history. One of the very first acts of the first Australian Parliament, the White Australia Policy, was a piece of racist legislation.

Indigenous Australians were not permitted to vote in their own country till 1967. That is racist.

Indigenous Australian children were taken away from their parents, never to see them again, for no other reason than that they were indigenous. That is racist, and it is not even ancient history. Adam Goodes' mother was one.

Until Mabo, land title in Australia was based on the lie of Terra Nullius. That is racist.

To anyone with a functioning brain, it is clear that Australian history is utterly shot through with racism.

Yet when an outspoken indigenous sporting star is booed, none of it is racism. None of it. It's anything but racism apparently.

No, not racism. No, how could it be? No, we're not racist! Us? Nah. I mean, just look at how unracisty we are. Apart from the White Australia Policy, and Aboriginals not being allowed to vote, and the Stolen Generation, and Terra Nullius, how exactly are we racists? How could we be racists? Impossible.

Sorry to butt in because I know these comments were directed at another poster but permit me to say a few things.

(1) I don't think you'll find many that will argue with much of what you've said.

(2) I think it's a bit much to say that because Aboriginals didn't get the vote until 1967, and Terra Nullis etc that people must have booed Adam because they were racist.

(3) There have been several turning points that radically changed things for the better for indigenous football players. 1993 was the first real catalyst for change when Nicky Winmar lifted his shirt and pointed to his skin in response to comments such as "go and sniff some petrol" and "go walkabout where you came from" emanating from sections of the Collingwood cheer squad. When a photo of the action made it's way to the Sunday Age under a headline 'I'm black and I'm proud of it', it cast an unforgettable image. Two years later the next catalyst occurred when a Collingwood player wrestling with Michael Long and Che Cockatoo-Collins yelled out “Get off me, you little black c**t” and Long subsequently made an official complaint forcing the AFL to eventually introduce Australia's first sports law outlawing racial vilification. Then in 2005 we saw the start of Indigenous Round.

(4) In 2013 when Brownlow medalist and All-Australian Goodes singled out the naive 13 yo Collingwood girl in he crowd to security and told them to "Get her out, I don't want her here" Australia was a lot different place than what you describe in your post. Yet, Goodes, when criticised for singling her out started justifying his action, the rot (booing) started. Two years later when he charged towards Carlton supporters during a game, he sealed his fate and the booing got worse. Commetti at the time said “Probably best not to do it,” “Won’t stop the booing.” Dermott Brereton summed it up at the time also when he said "To actually run at somebody in a war dance ... it actually signifies ‘I want to be violent against you’,” he said. “No good can come of it.”

Don't get me wrong here, when the 13 yo Collingwood supporter (see a pattern here BTW) said what she said, she made a big mistake. Goodes made the next one, and then two years later, another. He should've been the bigger person and shrugged her insult off. Winmar & Long et al had been through a lot worse and been instrumental in monumentally positive change. Goodes actions IMO, put further positive action for indigenous affairs in the AFL, on hold for a few years.

Last edited:

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you keep saying. Citation please.

Australia has a deeply racist history. One of the very first acts of the first Australian Parliament, the White Australia Policy, was a piece of racist legislation.

Indigenous Australians were not permitted to vote in their own country till 1967. That is racist.

Indigenous Australian children were taken away from their parents, never to see them again, for no other reason than that they were indigenous. That is racist, and it is not even ancient history. Adam Goodes' mother was one.

Until Mabo, land title in Australia was based on the lie of Terra Nullius. That is racist.

To anyone with a functioning brain, it is clear that Australian history is utterly shot through with racism.

Yet when an outspoken indigenous sporting star is booed, none of it is racism. None of it. It's anything but racism apparently.

No, not racism. No, how could it be? No, we're not racist! Us? Nah. I mean, just look at how unracisty we are. Apart from the White Australia Policy, and Aboriginals not being allowed to vote, and the Stolen Generation, and Terra Nullius, how exactly are we racists? How could we be racists? Impossible.

Show me a colonised nation with an indigenous population anywhere on the planet, that can’t say many of the same things.

People act as though Australia is some special, monstrous, genocidal, horror story entirely unique to this continent.

To people like Goodes, I say you can either wallow in hate and continue to feed the chip on your shoulder, or you can be positive and try to work to bring all Australian’s together for the betterment of your people.

Fairly obvious which option ought to be most desirable, for mine.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

So because an oldern days Australian parliament made racist decisions, therefor fans booing in 2019 is racist too. "Hey didn't you know another white person in this country was racist, therefor it's more likely what you're doing is racist."

Brilliant logic.

Salmoriaty

Draftee
Jul 28, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
AFL Club
Richmond
Show me a colonised nation with an indigenous population anywhere on the planet, that can’t say many of the same things.

People act as though Australia is some special, monstrous, genocidal, horror story entirely unique to this continent.

To people like Goodes, I say you can either wallow in hate and continue to feed the chip on your shoulder, or you can be positive and try to work to bring all Australian’s together for the betterment of your people.

Fairly obvious which option ought to be most desirable, for mine.
So take the chip off your shoulder and watch it with an open mind........

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
So take the chip off your shoulder and watch it with an open mind........

Pass.

I don’t need to watch a documentary to be reminded what a self indulgent, mean spirited, tantrum chucking, man child Adam Goodes is.

His antics in his final years of his career cemented that as his ultimate legacy in the minds of the Australian public I’m afraid.

PS - I didn’t watch Pilger’s Utopia either.

😞

Last edited:

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
What's up with people blaming the targets of racism for approaching it the wrong way or for "causing division". Its a weird theme I've noticed that there are people who love using words like "unity", "division" and similar words aand they're usually doing so in the context of minimising the experience of the people like Goodes.

I don’t need to watch a documentary to be reminded what a self indulgent, mean spirited, tantrum chucking, man child Adam Goodes is.
Examples of Goodes throwing a tantrum or being mean spirited?

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's up with people blaming the targets of racism for approaching it the wrong way or for "causing division". Its a weird theme I've noticed that there are people who love using words like "unity", "division" and similar words aand they're usually doing so in the context of minimising the experience of the people like Goodes.

Examples of Goodes throwing a tantrum or being mean spirited?

What do you call walking away from the game the way he did? He may not of had a bat to take with him, but he certainly had a melt and buggered off home.

And you don’t get much more mean spirited than refusing to meet the 13 year old child who you publicly humiliated and set up to be lynched in front of the nation on live television, and giving her a chance to apologise to you in person, or deliver a positive anti racism message to her school.

Same complete lack of good will to reach across the aisle and promote unity over division, applies to his continuing stubborn refusal to let go of his pathological grudge against Eddie.

If Goodes copped the sort of vile abuse (on and off field) blokes like Chris Lewis, Winmar etc copped during there era, rather than just being booed for staging, and resentment over his treatment of that girl, can you imagine how much he would of lost the plot?

Goodes would of fitted in well with generation snowflake.

Last edited:

Salmoriaty

Draftee
Jul 28, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
AFL Club
Richmond
Pass.

His antics in his final years of his career cemented that as his ultimate legacy in the minds of the Australian public I’m afraid.

PS - I didn’t watch Pilger’s Utopia either.

😞
So you won't have an open mind. It's funny how whie fragility is rife. Rather than looking at your self you want to be seen as right rather than look and question your own self. That's white fragility in a nutshell.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
What do you call walking away from the game the way he did? He may not of had a bat to take with him, but he certainly had a melt and buggered off home.
The way he did? How? Retiring? What exactly did he do or say that made it a tantrum?

nd you don’t get much more mean spirited than refusing to meet the 13 year old child who you publicly humiliated and set up to be lynched in front of the nation on live television, and giving her a chance to apologise to you in person, or deliver a positive anti racism message to her school.
Leaving aside your emotive language, A year after the even? What indication is there that she wanted to apologise in person?

Same complete lack of good will to reach across the aisle and promote unity over division, applies to his continuing stubborn refusal to let go of his pathological grudge against Eddie.
So if you're all about teaching across the aisle, promoting unity and so on, why aren't you seeing a documentary which may show a different side to the discussion to yours?

If Goodes copped the sort of vile abuse (on and off field) blokes like Chris Lewis, Winmar etc copped during there era, rather than just being booed for staging, and resentment over his treatment of that girl, can you imagine how much he would of lost the plot?
You have no idea the abuse any of those players endured over "there" career.

So, here we are, another "Goodes did/said this" with nothing more than a stilted interpretation of events. At least you responded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hahahahaahahaha. White people always bring this up. Google racism and tell me what it says. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. "

Such as the belief that white people have "white fragility", which is a bad thing and other races don't... Oops, you've been exposed as a racist ! Your use of race to generalise an entire people into the same shoebox is exactly the type of idiotic thoughts people like Goodes are trying to stop, you are the problem.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

To draw a line between historic evils to people booing is a joke.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you won't have an open mind. It's funny how whie fragility is rife. Rather than looking at your self you want to be seen as right rather than look and question your own self. That's white fragility in a nutshell.
White fragility? Lol. They have been the most dominant race on the planet. They have been at the forefront of change, at ending prior injustices. Setting up robust democracies unlike other places on the planet where Governments are taken out by the barrel of a gun. Where when there is a tragedy somewhere else in the world we are the first to send aid and help.
You are a clown.

4thebloods

Senior List
Jan 5, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
White fragility? Lol. They have been the most dominant race on the planet. They have been at the forefront of change, at ending prior injustices. Setting up robust democracies unlike other places on the planet where Governments are taken out by the barrel of a gun. Where when there is a tragedy somewhere else in the world we are the first to send aid and help.
You are a clown.

Wow this sh@t is getting real. I’m genuinely scared about where you are gonna go next.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
To draw a line between historic evils to people booing is a joke.

And yet, that’s exactly what Goodes and his black armband wearing supporters do every time they open there mouth on this issue.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread has been popcorn worthy. Generation snowflake just losing it again and again. Goodesy was a bit of a douche, but he did cop more than he deserved. I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Throw enough resources at anything and you can push whichever agenda you like these days. AFL modus operandi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back