Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just a poster on a forum that is designed for sharing of ideas and opinions. Would you prefer an echo chamber? ;)

Anyway, I was looking for you to backup your opinion with reasons but instead you chose ask whether I am qualified to question if you’re wrong....

In any case, you might not be wrong, but in this case I am going to side with the AFL coaches who are best placed to make these decisions that took actions that coincide with my opinion...
Which would be the decision to play him midfield...the position he was drafted in. Pure coincidence that he played his best game? Was it the 3 games experience in the forward line or natural role? Now how could ‘we’ possibly answer this?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Which would be the decision to play him midfield...the position he was drafted in. Pure coincidence that he played his best game? Was it the 3 games experience in the forward line or natural role? Now how could ‘we’ possibly answer this?

We can only speculate obviously...

A decision was made to play him in the midfield against a team of young bodies. This was after several games at AFL as a half forward, some time at half forward in the NEAFL and plenty of midfield time in the NEAFL which is clearly a much lower tier of football.

No I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he played his best game, but I do think that is because of the development approach they have taken with some early AFL exposure in a less familiar role. I do believe it is because this time spent in the NEAFL and at AFL level has contributed to him being ready to make an AFL level contribution in the midfield group.

I don’t believe if he had been put into the midfield for his AFL debut that he would have looked as comfortable, or had as much output, as he did last night. Therefore I feel whilst he is a genuine midfielder, that it has been the steps up to this point that has contributed to him having a successful game last night and not simply that ‘he played there in juniors’. That’s kind of suggesting that he would have had this output as a midfielder straight from his AFL debut, and I don’t at all agree with that.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
We can only speculate obviously...

A decision was made to play him in the midfield against a team of young bodies. This was after several games at AFL as a half forward, some time at half forward in the NEAFL and plenty of midfield time in the NEAFL which is clearly a much lower tier of football.

No I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he played his best game, but I do think that is because of the development approach they have taken with some early AFL exposure in a less familiar role. I do believe it is because this time spent in the NEAFL and at AFL level has contributed to him being ready to make an AFL level contribution in the midfield group.

I don’t believe if he had been put into the midfield for his AFL debut that he would have looked as comfortable, or had as much output, as he did last night. Therefore I feel whilst he is a genuine midfielder, that it has been the steps up to this point that has contributed to him having a successful game last night and not simply that ‘he played there in juniors’. That’s kind of suggesting that he would have had this output as a midfielder straight from his AFL debut, and I don’t at all agree with that.

And you don’t have to, as I stated, it’s your opinion. Just like everyone else, you’re entitled to your opinion, it just doesn’t mean it’s true...it is mere speculation. Just like me saying he’s better because it’s his true position. I too just wouldn’t ******* know but the odds are definitely leaning toward familiarity.

Just seems like a smart player already. It’s his fourth game and he’s already trying to lower his eyes and kick it longer and harder going forward (I wonder if we’ll manage to turn him to the dark side with lofty air-balls to nobody.) The missed targets to me seemed more about him just not quite knowing where to put it, rather than actual technique or composure. He led the team for inside 50s last night. Once he plays more footy with our forwards and learns their leading patterns etc, he’ll be a huge asset.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Heat map shows he spent most of the game on the wing but watching the game he was exposed to the coalface more than his other games. Very good for an 18 year old and a great signs for the future.
Was really impressed by Rowbottom on the weekend, you've got one there - on the eye test he was playing as the 4th inside mid - a contrast to his other 3 games where he didn't attend any bounces. Just be careful with relying on heat maps to determine where a player played though as they can be very misleading (particularly with wings and high half-forwards), as contrary to what Channel 7 and Cameron Ling spew to the general public, they're a possession map not a game time map - the blue dots represent every possession a player had for the match, with the "heat" being where they've had a cluster in the same area. In circumstances where a player only has 1 or 2 touches it can really paint a different picture to reality, particularly if they've had to work outside the area where they've spent the majority of the quarter to find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two really good games in a row since coming back into seniors, want to see him hold his spot for the rest of the year.

Agreed, these games should be used to give him 10+ games experience.

Mick Oxlong you were right and I was wrong about this one. And very happy to be wrong, because he is more than up to the level at this stage. It’s actually awesome to see an 18 year old starting at centre bounces for us. Typically with our young mids we’ve eased them into senior footy by giving them different roles and positions, like Hewett, Dawson, Florent, Heeney, Jones, Mills etc., some I’ve agreed with, others not so much. I actually can’t remember the last time we backed a first year midfielder in to play in the guts so early in his career. Mitchell maybe? I can’t remember. But it says a lot about the faith our coaching staff must have in Rowbottom (he helped his case by bulldozing the door down in the NEAFL week in, week out.)

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Mick Oxlong you were right and I was wrong about this one. And very happy to be wrong, because he is more than up to the level at this stage. It’s actually awesome to see an 18 year old starting at centre bounces for us. Typically with our young mids we’ve eased them into senior footy by giving them different roles and positions, like Hewett, Dawson, Florent, Heeney, Jones, Mills etc., some I’ve agreed with, others not so much. I actually can’t remember the last time we backed a first year midfielder in to play in the guts so early in his career. Mitchell maybe? I can’t remember. But it says a lot about the faith our coaching staff must have in Rowbottom (he helped his case by bulldozing the door down in the NEAFL week in, week out.)
A long road to travel yet but you don’t put a square peg in a round hole, it just doesn’t fit. Try them in their natural positions first, if then it doesn’t work, tinker away. As we know, some of the most successful players at our club played outside of their natural, recruited positions...but they started there (and they weren’t bad either, just not consistent/needed elsewhere).

Let’s hope the kid prospers, 24 possessions but had still went missing a bit...probably on the bench with leather poisoning!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back