Remove this Banner Ad

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Because he's the Prime Minister of Australia for f***'s sake and it is an issue which is deviding this country and seeing that he is always banging on about religion, he should tell us where he stands on this issue so we can all make up our minds just what kind of a person our Prime Minister is.
ScoMo doesn’t need to do anything just because 10% of the country is demanding it.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I'm not here 24/7.

If you have a different interpretation of the original Greek, I'm all ears.

Mate, get real. There must be at least 50-60 English translations of the Bible, all of them translated by people infinitely more qualified to translate Koine' Greek into English than either you or I. You, in response to my criticism of you referring to Jesus as approving of slavery (when I pointed out the difference between the word servant and slave) come back with one of the only English translations that translate doulos as slave. ALL THE REST (bar one or two exceptions) translate it as servant. I think that casts enough doubt for you to not refer to Jesus as approving of slavery thanks.

Save your English dictionary for church.

(1) Who do you think I am telling me what to do? Your slave?

(2) I don't go to church. It's too corrupt.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Reactive this time??? Gee you back pedal slowly.

It is the same event that has been evolving over more than a year.
RA tried there best to make this go away quietly, he was spoken to without punishment then he continued to make silly comments that vilify homosexuals.
All this comes under the umbrella of “this time”. They have NOT been reactive, they were forced into acting. RA did not want this, they wanted Issy playing rugby.

RA have been so patient with him , they have tried. Shame Issy did not try too.

You are far too kind to RA, no prob with your take on reactive/active, you understand my clumsy attempt at expression.
We certainly disagree over RA, whether they were forced to do anything, almost certain to get clarity from the Court case.
ALL RA needed do was acknowledge two points of view, as a tolerant body they accommodate each to their own.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
As far back as I can remember, sponsors have shared a public view on controversial issues that can be linked back to the club they are funding. It's a non-issue afaic...'but, but, sponsor CEO is gay!' Could Folau's supporters be any more obviously homophobic? I mean, they're not even trying to keep their homophobia under wraps.
Do you think this will end in anything other than a confidential settlement? If so, I admire your optimism.

By Folaus supporters being homophobic, lots of people commenting who are tarred with the 'hell' brush & unaffected, and supporting the right to have a view, in my case a right to hold either position.

Settled out of court, not a lawyer, but damages, costs & potential liability of sponsors (not only Qantas*), lots in play, as much as the contract is first cab off the rank - the mini series, who plays Maria?

* is Qantas gay ?
In other issues sponsors have tended to pull the money.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
You're looking at these discussion points through the angle of an apologist using pro-Christian rhetoric.

I have no motivation to apologise for, or demonise Christianity, nor allow my prejudices to filter my perspective. That both “bad” and “good” can come from the same source, or that something integral to one stage of development must be abandoned to reach the next, is not incongruent to me; it is normal, even expected.

Take the free market economy, fiat monetary system and representative democracy as an example; it’s been a factor in unlocking all kinds of human potential, both “good” and “bad”, but it is not the final destination. At some point (I expect) humanity will happen upon something better and who knows, perhaps someone will do similar to you down the track and point to throw offs like pollution, corruption, wage gaps, child labour etc and claim no positive impact.

The Old Testament verses I won’t bother addressing, as I was talking about Gospel teachings.

The Gospel verse you quote from Jesus does not at all support your point. This was a simile, comparing the workings of the Kingdom of Heaven, to the workings of Kings and servants on earth, not tacit approval of slavery. Slavery and servitude is pre-Christian. In the Roman Empire it’s was as normal as a 9-5 job is today and was the ultimate lifelong fate of many Christian’s. Finding metaphors and references to slavery in any texts from these times, and then putting them forward as tacit approval of slavery, is just poor critical thinking or bias.

The fact remains that Christian groups like the Quakers, who led the abolition of slavery, did so on the basis of Gosepl teachings. That’s those the same teachings inspired Dr. Martin Luther King contributions to civil rights. If you have trouble accepting historical fact because of a belief you hold, then not much can be discussed rationally.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So RA were not reactive, not sure why you would even say that. If Issy had been repsonsible he could have held his beliefs and played rugby.
RA had their hand forced by Issy, a year after they first spoke to him about this. RA were extremely patient and tolerant of this intolerant person.
Have you seen Raylene Castles comments about the Bible's/Christians? Tolerant is not exactly a word I would used.

As far as I can tell there was no process and it's even doubtful they spoke to him 12 months ago.

Whatever happens here, RA will have learned from this and James O'Connor's new contract is going to be one of the most scrutinised documents in it's history. That said you usually have to add booze for him to behave like a dick, Issy manages to do it sober. He's got the best arse in world rugby too so it will be a welcome return.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think that's true. Islam in particular, has taken a real beating the last few years and we don't see the more extreme rhetoric as much as we used to.

Are we not seeing it as it's no longer there or are authorities just refining their response over the years as they become more experienced and it's not allowed to fester for as long as it once was?

Basically nipping things in the bud.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He's got the best arse in world rugby too so it will be a welcome return.

Wow. Sexual objectification.

Be interesting to see how this gets moderated, considering the dominant political leanings of admin.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
How's it discrimination when he signed a contract that he wouldn't be a homophobe and attack gay people. Filou is a pathetic pawn in the game backed by hypocritic bigots like Alan Jones who was arrested for an indecent act in a public toilet.
"On 6 December 1988, Jones was arrested in an underground public toilet on Broadwick Street in the Soho area of London. He was taken to the Mayfair police station and charged with 'outraging public decency' and 'committing an indecent act'. "
So how can Alan Jones pontificate when according to Filou, he is going to hell.I mean the hypocrisy is startling.

Maybe Jones is a bit smarter than you and sees the broader picture. Your problem is that you think it's straight out homophobic, bigotry and therefore can't understand why gay people may be sticking up for Folau's side. It's a lot more than that.

Folau may have signed a contract but maybe the contract was illegal to begin with if it impinged on his religious freedoms. We're going to find out.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe Jones is a bit smarter than you and sees the broader picture. Your problem is that you think it's straight out homophobic, bigotry and therefore can't understand why gay people may be sticking up for Folau's side. It's a lot more than that.

Folau may have signed a contract but maybe the contract was illegal to begin with if it impinged on his religious freedoms. We're going to find out.
Lol, you need to listen to Tim Costello my christian friend, a bigot is a bigot ,a homophobe is a homophobe and an ex-drunken womeniser is a hypocrite. Everyone knows that Filou and his wife are the two biggest jerks in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Mate, get real. There must be at least 50-60 English translations of the Bible, all of them translated by people infinitely more qualified to translate Koine' Greek into English than either you or I. You, in response to my criticism of you referring to Jesus as approving of slavery (when I pointed out the difference between the word servant and slave) come back with one of the only English translations that translate doulos as slave. ALL THE REST (bar one or two exceptions) translate it as servant. I think that casts enough doubt for you to not refer to Jesus as approving of slavery thanks.

(1) Who do you think I am telling me what to do? Your slave?

(2) I don't go to church. It's too corrupt.

You had a crack at Evolved earlier for taking 41 mins to respond to you then you take 80 mins to respond to Evolved yourself. :think:

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, you need to listen to Tim Costello my christian friend, a bigot is a bigot ,a homophobe is a homophobe and an ex-drunken womeniser is a hypocrite. Everyone knows that Filou and his wife are the two biggest jerks in Australia.

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not religious, never have been and never will be.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
You had a crack at Evolved earlier for taking 41 mins to respond to you then you take 80 mins to respond to Evolved yourself. :think:
They're homophobic jerks mate. There's no place for it in this modern world.What would you do if you had a gay family member? Would you tell them they are going to burn in hell? Good luck with that.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco

Yes sorry, I was distracted debating Geepong supporters on my thread in the Bay. Timestamps will confirm. Anyway, of course, you're right I'm a stinkin', dirty hypocrite. Then again ..... technically I didn't have a crack or criticise the timeframe, I just said 'I was wondering why ...'.

Last edited:

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would that even pop into your head?

Follow it back ..I was talking about protecting vulnerable groups . Someone said that’s fine unless you are Falou... no idea what he was on about .. so maybe the person was talking about Falou’s ethnicity.??

Still don’t know what he was on about but Snakey is pretty unstable at best of times so I let it go.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
They're homophobic jerks mate. There's no place for it in this modern world.What would you do if you had a gay family member? Would you tell them they are going to burn in hell? Good luck with that.

I'm not religious, I already told you that, why would I tell them they're going to burn in hell?

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Define more religious freedoms, give us some examples?
Australia is the most religiously free country in the world, try living in a country where they put you in jail for practicing a religion. Filou is jerkoff peacocker and Alan Jones is a hypocritical prick.

Back