Who should coach Freo in 2020

Drapatch

Senior List
Jun 1, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need a coach who is in touch with the youth and will be respected at the same time. A coach, that is backed by the team and will follow unconditionally.

JLo - All i can remember is his weak swinging tackles, feel the same weakness as a coach, cant see the team respecting him

Sam Mitchell - God NO. The bloke is a smug knob and will not succeed as a coach. He was removed as captain of successful team with multiple strong leaders, you would need to be the king of knobs to be removed as captain. He'll have the same attitude and approach as a coach.

Don Pyke - Has some talent, done well with Adelaide. But they have a better list than us and he failed last year and the group looks lost again, prefer not.

Sumich - Seriously?

Scott - Let him pout and sook some where else

I would be offering one person an massive 5 year deal is Luke Hodge. Given he hasn't been an assistant but i think he has been in the game long enough and in some ways is playing assistant coach at Brisbane. Can you imagine the assistants that would want to come work for him, let alone the players?

The guys commands respect and brings a group together. Name him as a coach and I would like to see how many of the rumoured trade requests out of Freo are raised?

I'll try find the clip if I can, there's a moment in the hawthorn change rooms after a win in Tasmania and a couple of the younger guys are getting loud and telling the camera crew to get out of the huddle, Hodge turns and tells them to zip it and its not how hawthorn do things, the other players went white and stopped instantly.

Just watch this small video and see if he would not be good coach

Open cheque book, pay him what ever it costs, he will be a premiership coach.

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

He would make a great coach but wouldn't be able to talk for a year after 1 round

"stop bombing it into the fu(ken forward line FFS!"
"Learn to kick the ball fu(kstick"
"How do you miss a target 20m out"

The list goes on

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Nyhuis in place of Cerra the week before, carrying through to this week. We wouldn't have "played" Crowden on Shuey are two that immediately spring to mind.
The cupboard is pretty bare at Peel for mature bodies to come in. Its not like a new coach has Sutcliffe, Deboer, Pearce and Sheridan to go to to get immediate results.
The only difference would be tactics and position changes.
We picked our best available on the weekend and were smashed. The HF position has always been Lyons Achilles heel.
Cox being played as an aerial defensive forward to negate their big backs may have been an option. Having 3 smalls fully expecting the ball to come to ground may have worked?
I didn't expect us to win but I was definitely expecting a close game.
We have good players, they're just not being played in their best positions (IMO) and our tactics aren't considering the opposition skill set.
A little bit of flexibility in how we go about things would go a long way.

The cupboard is pretty bare at Peel for mature bodies to come in. Its not like a new coach has Sutcliffe, Deboer, Pearce and Sheridan to go to to get immediate results.
The only difference would be tactics and position changes.
We picked our best available on the weekend and were smashed. The HF position has always been Lyons Achilles heel.
Cox being played as an aerial defensive forward to negate their big backs may have been an option. Having 3 smalls fully expecting the ball to come to ground may have worked?
I didn't expect us to win but I was definitely expecting a close game.
We have good players, they're just not being played in their best positions (IMO) and our tactics aren't considering the opposition skill set.
A little bit of flexibility in how we go about things would go a long way.
We've had the option to tag a midfielder the last two games at home and we left that option on the table. Our current stoppage plan is for all four of our players in there to try and win the ground ball, ignoring their opponents. That's not how we were playing in the first half of the year.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We've had the option to tag a midfielder the last two games at home and we left that option on the table. Our current stoppage plan is for all four of our players in there to try and win the ground ball, ignoring their opponents. That's not how we were playing in the first half of the year.
I haven't noticed this. Will pay more attention this weekend.

Might explain why we are getting pumped. Maybe the tank is on? Need a high pick for Kelly?

I haven't noticed this. Will pay more attention this weekend.

Might explain why we are getting pumped. Maybe the tank is on? Need a high pick for Kelly?
Let's not use that word.

It certainly isn't in our interests to have a draft pick after Henry is bid on.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need a coach who is in touch with the youth and will be respected at the same time. A coach, that is backed by the team and will follow unconditionally.

JLo - All i can remember is his weak swinging tackles, feel the same weakness as a coach, cant see the team respecting him

Sam Mitchell - God NO. The bloke is a smug knob and will not succeed as a coach. He was removed as captain of successful team with multiple strong leaders, you would need to be the king of knobs to be removed as captain. He'll have the same attitude and approach as a coach.

Don Pyke - Has some talent, done well with Adelaide. But they have a better list than us and he failed last year and the group looks lost again, prefer not.

Sumich - Seriously?

I would be offering one person an massive 5 year deal is Luke Hodge. Given he hasn't been an assistant but i think he has been in the game long enough and in some ways is playing assistant coach at Brisbane. Can you imagine the assistants that would want to come work for him, let alone the players?

The guys commands respect and brings a group together. Name him as a coach and I would like to see how many of the rumoured trade requests out of Freo are raised?

I'll try find the clip if I can, there's a moment in the hawthorn change rooms after a win in Tasmania and a couple of the younger guys are getting loud and telling the camera crew to get out of the huddle, Hodge turns and tells them to zip it and its not how hawthorn do things, the other players went white and stopped instantly.

Great post and totally agree. He ticks every box for mine, but may not be available when the time comes for us to find a new head coach.

What are your thoughts about Scarlett and Carracella?

Last edited:

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great post and totally agree. He ticks every box for mine, and may not be available when the time comes for us to find a new head coach.

Will be a great coach eventually but also could go the same way as Crazy Vossy, I said the same
About Neesham, an apprenticeship is required for AFL.
They do their certificate of coaching, assistant roles, and not thrown in the deep end.
Freo is a special case, media training is imperative. WA won't give him the plaudits he is use
too and there are easier gigs than here.
Ross has been great in that regard, and it could still work here as long as he is not in charge of
everything. But could he work with an equal?
A master and apprentice.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle

Following Ross's comments over the weeks through the year bofore and after games I think gives a hint as to what has gone down. There had been a growing confidence in "our game standing up". That "our game" had been developed through the off season and early games with our key position players available etc. It had shown great promise in succeeding.

But when another coach/team works out a strategy to undo "our game" or "their game" shows up to be superior with their playing list it requires a capacity by our coaches and team to be able to counter with sound strategies. I think we have been well and truly caught out by being over confident in "our game" holding up and ignoring the need to plan counter defensive and offensive strategies in the way other sides move and use the ball.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
following on from that....if we do go for another coach I hope it is one who with a competent team of coaches that gel can have the capacity to turn games on their ear in our favour...cant think of too many great comebacks by our team over the years...that should tell us something.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC

Sumich - Seriously?

You have sold me. He was player\assistant coach at hawthorn.

Drapatch

Senior List
Jun 1, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great post and totally agree. He ticks every box for mine, but may not be available when the time comes for us to find a new head coach.

Scarlett seems like he will be good coach, only problem is i cant see Scarlett leaving geelong or Melbourne. Doesn't seem to be the type that will be motivated by money or ego. His passion is Geelong and seems very loyal, i think he will stay on at geelong.

Carracella would be a good coach, time under Hardwick and Thompson. Same with Kirk, good credentials to become a solid coach.

I think football has moved on from the old school coaches which are 30 years older. Its the age of the millennials and coach's need to be able to relate to them and motivate them at the same time.

Adapting with changes in game style and rules is a key criteria, I get the feeling the games and rules will continue to change and warp over the next few years as they try to produce a more entertaining product.

Clarko was the king of game styles and adapted and traded Hawthorn to multiple premierships. People like Dunstall played a part in navigating Hawthorn, i think we now have that with Bell (I've been impressed with him since he came on board).

Lyon's style is now applicable to the WAFL or colts where kids are willing to learn positioning and skills. We need a new age coach and someone that thinks outside the box and adapts. (Beveridge, Clarko, Hardwick) We need buy in and belief from the players and supporters. I hope to be wrong with Lyon but feel its slipping from him. If he gets us to 11 wins, its a good year from where we cam from, but its the belief and buy in to go above and beyond that gets you to the GF. He definitely had that from 2013-2015

I'd rather we risk everything to win a GF than make safe decisions and fall short with moderate success.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Will be a great coach eventually but also could go the same way as Crazy Vossy, I said the same
About Neesham, an apprenticeship is required for AFL.
They do their certificate of coaching, assistant roles, and not thrown in the deep end.
Freo is a special case, media training is imperative. WA won't give him the plaudits he is use
too and there are easier gigs than here.
Ross has been great in that regard, and it could still work here as long as he is not in charge of
everything. But could he work with an equal?
A master and apprentice.
Well said

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Lyon will be coach in 2020. Club would be crazy to listen to outside noise and should stick with the rebuild plan

I suspect we might be in for some good times(from a supporters perspective) from 2020 onwards if the club sticks to the plan it started in 2016

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why did kirk leave??
I recently heard he had a run in with lyon after a press conference. Lyon through a bottle of water at him.
Sumich went in to bat for Kirk.
The Sumich-Lyon relationship died.
Probable just all horse s**t.
The guy that told me is a south freo man also wants sumich to lead the club.

Suma said that he and Kirky had enough of his dictatorship and we’re going to walk into his office and let him know what they thought of him. Suma started the ball rolling and dished out a number on Ross. Kirky said he was moving back to Sydney for family reasons. Suma was sent to the bench for the remainder of the season and Kirky sat in the box. 🙊

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo will be lucky to land a senior coach. It’s going to be an assistant. Longmuir would be perfect for Freo. Has an impressive CV and said recently he’s never been more ready to take on a senior role. I heard that Caracella has been promised the Saints job, but money talks and with enough of it would be a great fit for Freo. We’re in similar bind to what Richmond was in 2016 before he changed the blueprint of their midfield & forward structure. Our defence is solid. Anything over the back 50 is a real issue.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo will be lucky to land a senior coach. It’s going to be an assistant. Longmuir would be perfect for Freo. Has an impressive CV and said recently he’s never been more ready to take on a senior role. I heard that Caracella has been promised the Saints job, but money talks and with enough of it would be a great fit for Freo. We’re in similar bind to what Richmond was in 2016 before he changed the blueprint of their midfield & forward structure. Our defence is solid. Anything over the back 50 is a real issue.

Saints will have a new coach by this time next week. We won’t be ready for at least 12 months. I doubt Carracella picks us over Saints especially if he has to wait 12 months.

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saints will have a new coach by this time next week. We won’t be ready for at least 12 months. I doubt Carracella picks us over Saints especially if he has to wait 12 months.

The saints will have a care taker coach next week (maybe) still gives Freo enough time to table a contract. Bell is the only person that can save this club.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
For the record, Freo won the first 3 derbies when both Lyon and Simpson were coaching ... when Freo were the better team.
Since then, West Coast/Simpson have won the next 9 ... when the Eagles have been ranked the better team.

Likewise with Hawthorn/Clarkson vs Fremantle/Lyon. They have played 10 times and Hawthorn have won 9 of them, but they were ranked the better team in all of those years (2012 onwards). And from 2007-2011, when Lyon coached St Kilda & Clarkson coached Hawthorn, they had 7 Games, 3wins, 1draw, 3losses with St Kilda being ranked the better team for just 2 of those games.

These sort of statistics are not unusual. If Fremantle (or Lyon coached teams) were regularly finishing above an opposition coach and still losing, then that would be supporting data to criticise system/game plan.
Funny you say that.

Under Connollys reign from 2002-7, Freo beat west coast most of the time.

it was a 1-1 spilt in 2002, 2003 and 2004. when both teams were even and trying to make finals.

They best us twice in 2005 I think. they made the GF, We narrowly missed out on finals.

I know when west coast won the flag in 2006, Freo beat them twice. We made the prelim.

I remember both 2006 derbies well. Hasleby got a winning goal with a minute to go. Judd got the best on ground on that day with 33 disposals. Which in my opinion was wrong as Josh Carr should of got it as he got 24 disposals and 3 goals. I remember that week too as we won our only game at tassie vs the saints by a point the week before and the controversy in that game that could of been a draw. The infamous Sirengate.

A few eagles fans on bigfooty at the net at the time would say we will never hear the end of it if freo dont make finals in 2006 becuase of sirengate.

My favourite one was 2006. Belted them by 57 points in the middle of that fantastic 9 game Winning streak. the carr brothers ganged up on Daniel Kerr and tried to take his head off!

The most piss poor excuse after the game why Eagles lost. My eagles mate told me told me some eagles were vomiting when they left the planes after their game vs Brisbane at the Gabba which was why they lost the 2nd derby of 2006.

We lost the 1st derby of 2007.

Then Mark Harvey took over mid 2007 and won that derby.

then came 2008 and 2009, freo and west coast were out of finals yet freo won all 4 derbies in that period.

We won both in 2010 and made finals west coast got bottom.

then in 2011, we lost both derbies eagles got a prelim, we finish 11th.

mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
He may of been mentioned before but really Like Jarrad Schofield . I know Port have him as assistant and perhaps Hinkley's successor if port continue to be mediocre. Record with Subi was outstanding and think he has a good footy IQ.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Funny you say that.

Under Connollys reign from 2002-7, Freo beat west coast most of the time.

it was a 1-1 spilt in 2002, 2003 and 2004. when both teams were even and trying to make finals.

They best us twice in 2005 I think. they made the GF, We narrowly missed out on finals.

I know when west coast won the flag in 2006, Freo beat them twice. We made the prelim.

I remember both 2006 derbies well. Hasleby got a winning goal with a minute to go. Judd got the best on ground on that day with 33 disposals. Which in my opinion was wrong as Josh Carr should of got it as he got 24 disposals and 3 goals. I remember that week too as we won our only game at tassie vs the saints by a point the week before and the controversy in that game that could of been a draw. The infamous Sirengate.

A few eagles fans on bigfooty at the net at the time would say we will never hear the end of it if freo dont make finals in 2006 becuase of sirengate.

My favourite one was 2006. Belted them by 57 points in the middle of that fantastic 9 game Winning streak. the carr brothers ganged up on Daniel Kerr and tried to take his head off!

The most piss poor excuse after the game why Eagles lost. My eagles mate told me told me some eagles were vomiting when they left the planes after their game vs Brisbane at the Gabba which was why they lost the 2nd derby of 2006.

We lost the 1st derby of 2007.

Then Mark Harvey took over mid 2007 and won that derby.

then came 2008 and 2009, freo and west coast were out of finals yet freo won all 4 derbies in that period.

We won both in 2010 and made finals west coast got bottom.

then in 2011, we lost both derbies eagles got a prelim, we finish 11th.

I have seen a fair bit of criticism directed at Lyon because of the 9 derby losses in a row.
I wonder how many of those posters are aware that Clarkson lost 11 games in a row to Geelong from 2009-13.

Back