• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I am very concerned with the clubs rhetoric in regards to our new coach, it smells of a club or selection panel too scared to make the hard decisions.

Putting a line through all potential coaches if they haven’t coached as yet because we got the last selection wrong, is like trading the number 1 pick because last time we ended p with Jack Watts.

Follow the process, same as last time, interview all candidates, free from bias, judge them all on their merits and select the best one. If that’s Teague, ok, if it’s Ratten, ok, if it’s someone else then I don’t mind.

I really hope we are doing this properly.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I was actually thinking the same this, and totally agree with you.

What my issue is, what is being referred to untried coaches? is it coaches who haven't coached at AFL level? If so, does that mean every coach, who hasnt coached an AFL previously requires "training wheels?" That's quite insulting to a number untried assistant coaches, or VFL/SANFL/WAFL/NEAFL coaches, as it suggests the club needs to hold their hand through the coaching process. Coaches need to start somewhere. To put things in perspective, the last coach, who had coached another AFL and lead their new team to a flag was Malthouse in 2010 then before that was Matthews in 2001-2003. So, I think if the club builds the support around the right candidate, irrespective if they've coached at AFL level, it should work.

I think Lloyd did question Juddy on whether Teague would classify as 'needing training wheels'.

Juddy's response wasn't completely direct, but did say something about (paraphrasing here) Teague being in control of the team as interim coach now not being the same as having actual senior coaching experience, with all the pressure and everything else that comes with it.

So it did seem Judd was suggesting that we are after someone who has previously been a senior coach of an AFL team before.

And i would be incredibly disappointed in Juddy and the club if so.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Lloyd did question Juddy on whether Teague would classify as 'needing training wheels'.

Juddy's response wasn't completely direct, but did say something about (paraphrasing here) Teague being in control of the team as interim coach now not being the same as having actual senior coaching experience, with all the pressure and everything else that comes with it.

So it did seem Judd was suggesting that we are after someone who has previously been a senior coach of an AFL team before.

And i would be incredibly disappointed in Juddy and the club if so.

Video footage here: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl...s-next-senior-coach/cjxugp6j400070hppdamhc205

Judd has mentioned not wanting a coach that needs training wheels a few times now...

The interest for me is whether Teague falls under that category. Lloyd asked about it and while he didn't answer it directly, his answer implies we want someone who has been a senior coach at AFL level before...

Percy2257

The Urgio to be Sergio
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I am very concerned with the clubs rhetoric in regards to our new coach, it smells of a club or selection panel too scared to make the hard decisions.

Putting a line through all potential coaches if they haven’t coached as yet because we got the last selection wrong, is like trading the number 1 pick because last time we ended p with Jack Watts.

Follow the process, same as last time, interview all candidates, free from bias, judge them all on their merits and select the best one. If that’s Teague, ok, if it’s Ratten, ok, if it’s someone else then I don’t mind.

I really hope we are doing this properly.
So do I but, like you, I’m not that confident about the selection panel. They are essentially the group that chose Bolts.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So do I but, like you, I’m not that confident about the selection panel. They are essentially the group that chose Bolts.

Liddle & Lloyd are new so would give new voice. Both seem to be doing a good job as well.

And i think while Bolton was a failure, he was the best out of the available options at the time. We were a pretty unattractive destination at the time with an old list, that's not the case anymore.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Isn’t he the next in line at St Kilda (poor bugger)
the interesting thing will be to see if richo doesn't coach out the season.

ratten would be the easy choice as caretaker in that scenario so if richo gets sacked and ratten doesn't take that role then that means he wants to come back to carlton.

Dravid's in

All Australian
May 10, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The longer it goes on the more I believe it will be Ratten. Just a feel

If I could get confirmation if the thumbs up was for Part a or Part b of the original post then I'd be more clearer on the possibility...

It's absolutely mind boggling that B. Scott is a leading candidate. I can't see any reason to appoint him.
Agreed...
The simple fact is this; unlike Clarkson, Lyon, Hinkley, Longmire, Beverage (please not Beverage), if Brad Scott was still coaching North, he wouldn’t be in the conversation.
We should be looking at the BEST available. Not just THE available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back