List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets rumours 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
'I will become a 6000-pound gorilla on this': Suns to ask for No.1 pick

After being up on the Gold Coast for the game I have to say I agree that they need more help than what they are getting. But I’m not sure what the answer is as I honestly see the cycle continuing of players wanting to leave and who can blame them. Think Lynch is as loyal a bloke you’d find and even he’d had enough. Watch Day and Martin do the same this year.

Lynch is right Draft picks are merely a band aid , fix the club from the ground up or Shanghai the franshise to Tassie though I do have my doubts down their too
It’s a revolving door in terms of player retention , why. You can’t corrupt the system with handouts and additional TPP, resenting that rival clubs are located in Melbourne and it’s a drawcard for footballers , realise your own strengths and build a brand

Clubs cannot allow this to happen! Perhaps give them a player retention allowance as they’ve certainly been drained of talent, but the draft simply cannot be further compromised. Academy choices are doing enough damage to equality as it is

The only concession I would support is greater access to local talent in order to build a core of players that aren’t tempted to return to vic

After being up on the Gold Coast for the game I have to say I agree that they need more help than what they are getting. But I’m not sure what the answer is as I honestly see the cycle continuing of players wanting to leave and who can blame them. Think Lynch is as loyal a bloke you’d find and even he’d had enough. Watch Day and Martin do the same this year.

I can't see the Suns ever becoming a sustainable club myself.

Not giving Southport that licence was the biggest blunder the AFL has made in recent years IMO. Southport had 20k members in 1995 (though mostly social members admittedly). But it's a genuine club with a long history and actual roots in the GC community. It has an identity, unlike the plastic Americanised Suns franchise. Blows my mind tbh.

I can't see the Suns ever becoming a sustainable club myself.

Not giving Southport that licence was the biggest blunder the AFL has made in recent years IMO. Southport had 20k members in 1995 (though mostly social members admittedly). But it's a genuine club with a long history and actual roots in the GC community. It has an identity, unlike the plastic Americanised Suns franchise. Blows my mind tbh.

THIS. I was born and grew up on the Gold Coast and have zero emotional attachment to that team. If they folded over and died tomorrow, i'd barely give it a second thought. But the Southport Sharks? They would have been my second favourite team and would have had a keen interest in them.
Who gives a s**t about the Suns? There is no soul or anything for locals to connect to. Plus what a s**t truck sounding name. Bleh
Go Sharks

Some really good posts about the Gold Coast issue here. They have had repeated access to prime draft picks and it has been shown that layering these premium picks over the infrastructure at the club have not been successful. When a club is in as bad a shape as Gold Coast are now any assistance should be targeted towards helping them compete, rather than setting up some super team of the future.

When Roos went into Melbourne this is exactly what he did, essentially trying to build a critical mass of competitive players, even at the expense of losing so very highly rated talent like Josh Kelly. In came Vince, Cross, Tyson, Lumumba. Out in short order went Sylvia, Mitch Clark, Toumpas, later Howe and others. The policy as far as they could control things was to replace flashy or higher rated players with proven competitive AFL footballers, not necessarily stars. And ultimately Grimes, Trengove, Watts, Frawley and others left, and in some cases they got good returns for them, in other cases they filled the void with good state league players and rookies etc that cost next to nothing. Harmes, Vandenberg, Wagner. And all the time, going to the draft with some nice picks. Sure they got Hogan thrown in but that wasn't what made them competitive. I believe it was their policy of going after experienced proven AFL competitive first 22 players, not top end talent that turned the corner for them.

OK the Demons are not having the best year in 2019 but they have an undeniably good list, played three and won two finals last year and their prospects remain good. This should serve as a model for clubs wallowing in long term failure. It was turned around from easy beats to finalists by the 5th year and they were competitive after about 2 years of the regime and returned a positive win/loss and percentage in the 4th year.

For whatever reason the Suns went after experienced players who could not get a game at other clubs last year and also got special access to state league players. I think they had carryover salary cap issues that will ease now. They have a good coach. They need to focus on finding a Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge or even a couple of them. Then some Tyson/Vince/Cross types who are tough, experienced, genuine AFL level players. From Richmond(only because we are familiar with our players) if I were the Suns I might go after players like Astbury, Edwards, Lambert, McIntosh for this purpose. Other clubs have these guys that you might get for a decent pay packet and maybe a pick in the 20's.

Then later once you have established a strong culture and true competitiveness it gets easier to lure and retain the top end talent.

So I strongly agree with he concessions GCS were given last year. And I think if they have a suitable cap environment this year they should be given a couple of picks after their second rounder to help them target these competitive experienced types but the picks have to be traded and for players at least 25yo. And also maybe a cap freebie for a player over 30 that another club is happy to shift - think Sam Mitchell, Hodge, that type of scenario. These conditions should also avert any retention issues on the concession players.

Trade HQ: Check out all the big list calls facing Richmond this off-season

Brendon Goddard, Herald Sun

This year will go down as an absolute rollercoaster for Richmond and that comes after doing everything right in the off-season.

By adding Tom Lynch to their forward line, they secured the best player on the market and dropped him into a side that had won 18 games the year before. But no one could have predicted that almost every key Tiger would miss extended time with injuries throughout the year.

It makes judging their list a tricky process. While some areas of need have clearly been shown up, it’s unlikely their depth will be tested so severely two years in a row.

Plus, it is certainly impressive that even with everything that has gone wrong, they are still in the top four mix. If they can stay healthy for the rest of the year, I’m confident they can go on another finals run.

One area of concern that I don’t think is going away is the second ruck slot.

With Shaun Grigg retiring, his partnership with Toby Nankervis is over. Ivan Soldo has been tried in the ruck and while he might get to that level eventually, I think he is a little bit undersized when it comes to going up against the monsters of the competition.

At 25, Nankervis is still in his prime so it isn’t like Richmond should be going out and trying to secure a star like Todd Goldstein.

I think it is more a case of being shrewd. Try to get a quality back-up at a good price, who can step up and play the No. 1 ruck role if called upon.

After their big Lynch signing, it is unlikely they would be a major player during the trade period again. However, I’ll be interested to see what happens with Brandon Ellis. Two months ago I would have said he was more than likely gone after looking down on confidence.

But he and Damien Hardwick appear to be back on the same page and I think he is an important player for the Tigers to try and keep. While he isn’t a superstar, this year has proved, you can never have too much depth.

JON RALPH BREAKS DOWN RICHMOND’S BIGGEST TRADE QUESTIONS

THREE TIGERS RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Brandon Ellis
Ellis put off contract talks early in the year and will likely assess rival offers from clubs needing pace. He has used the ball well this year and despite being dropped last year, has enough traits that rivals will be able to offer more opportunity that the Tigers. Then it comes down to how much he wants to stay.

Callum Moore
Played six games in 2018 as a tall leading forward but has battled an ankle injury this year. With Jack Riewoldt still likely to play on for some time and Tom Lynch on a long-term deal, would a rival try to poach him for a later pick?

Shai Bolton
Is just becoming the player Richmond hoped and signed on last year despite rival interest because he “loved the club”. No reason to think he won’t get opportunities but would Adelaide come hard at him given Eddie Betts is closer to the end of his career?

THREE PLAYERS TIGERS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Paddy Ryder
Out of favour at Port Adelaide, would the Tigers look at trying to squeeze Ryder into their mix? Despite his struggles this year, he still demands respect as a forward and can hold his own against most opposition ruckmen. He will be 32 at the start of next season but could be worth the risk.

Ryan Abbott
Currently behind Rhys Stanley, Darcy Fort and Zac Smith in the pecking order, the mature age ruckman could be looking around for more opportunity. He has shown he is clearly too good for VFL level and could be the perfect low risk back up for Nankervis.

Griffin Logue
Still without a contract for next year at the Dockers, plenty of rival clubs would love to drop Logue into their backline. With Alex Pearce’s injury, the former first round draft pick has shown he is capable of holding down a key defensive post. While Alex Rance is set to return next year, there is always room for another quality defender.

RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD
Score: 8/10

A club that had only won the premiership a year previous was able to secure the best free agent out there and for only about a million bucks a year.
Tom Lynch has been a riotous success if you consider he has come off a PCL injury, playing every game and having several huge games.
The critics have come for him but consider what he will do in the next five seasons when fully fit.

Even though he is only approaching full fitness, his worst games have still included a couple of telling moments in a team that has missed Jack Riewoldt.
The Tigers moved on the likes of Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis, forcing themselves to find some depth. Instead of playing those guys when the injuries hit they have unearthed the likes of Sydney Stack, Noah Balta and Ivan Soldo.

The Tigers also have high hopes for Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 20) and have seen the potential in bash-and-crash midfielder Jack Ross, who is only out of the side because of injury.

Some really good posts about the Gold Coast issue here. They have had repeated access to prime draft picks and it has been shown that layering these premium picks over the infrastructure at the club have not been successful. When a club is in as bad a shape as Gold Coast are now any assistance should be targeted towards helping them compete, rather than setting up some super team of the future.

When Roos went into Melbourne this is exactly what he did, essentially trying to build a critical mass of competitive players, even at the expense of losing so very highly rated talent like Josh Kelly. In came Vince, Cross, Tyson, Lumumba. Out in short order went Sylvia, Mitch Clark, Toumpas, later Howe and others. The policy as far as they could control things was to replace flashy or higher rated players with proven competitive AFL footballers, not necessarily stars. And ultimately Grimes, Trengove, Watts, Frawley and others left, and in some cases they got good returns for them, in other cases they filled the void with good state league players and rookies etc that cost next to nothing. Harmes, Vandenberg, Wagner. And all the time, going to the draft with some nice picks. Sure they got Hogan thrown in but that wasn't what made them competitive. I believe it was their policy of going after experienced proven AFL competitive first 22 players, not top end talent that turned the corner for them.

OK the Demons are not having the best year in 2019 but they have an undeniably good list, played three and won two finals last year and their prospects remain good. This should serve as a model for clubs wallowing in long term failure. It was turned around from easy beats to finalists by the 5th year and they were competitive after about 2 years of the regime and returned a positive win/loss and percentage in the 4th year.

For whatever reason the Suns went after experienced players who could not get a game at other clubs last year and also got special access to state league players. I think they had carryover salary cap issues that will ease now. They have a good coach. They need to focus on finding a Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge or even a couple of them. Then some Tyson/Vince/Cross types who are tough, experienced, genuine AFL level players. From Richmond(only because we are familiar with our players) if I were the Suns I might go after players like Astbury, Edwards, Lambert, McIntosh for this purpose. Other clubs have these guys that you might get for a decent pay packet and maybe a pick in the 20's.

Then later once you have established a strong culture and true competitiveness it gets easier to lure and retain the top end talent.

So I strongly agree with he concessions GCS were given last year. And I think if they have a suitable cap environment this year they should be given a couple of picks after their second rounder to help them target these competitive experienced types but the picks have to be traded and for players at least 25yo. And also maybe a cap freebie for a player over 30 that another club is happy to shift - think Sam Mitchell, Hodge, that type of scenario. These conditions should also avert any retention issues on the concession players.
Sadly for GC fans there will always be an inherent struggle when there’s a free market. What would players born and bred in Melbourne with ambitions to play on the Mecca , MCG not take advantage of opportunity to go home. What’s holding them back , and the answer needs to be more than money.
It’s no co incidence that no soccer, footy or NRL team has been successful , the glitter strip doesn’t exactly lend itself to being the next Manchester United. They’re a real worry

It about the meth. No sane club would of touched him but you may have been right as there were enough rumors floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We knew everything. It was Cousins MK2 - we had assurances from the player and his management of how certain things were to be handled moving forward, and it all turned to 5h1t, but we knew exactly what we were getting in to and took the gamble.
It was a wake up call, and i'm so glad things have changed now where even a bad attitude will see the club pass no matter the talent (see Bennell).

THIS. I was born and grew up on the Gold Coast and have zero emotional attachment to that team. If they folded over and died tomorrow, i'd barely give it a second thought. But the Southport Sharks? They would have been my second favourite team and would have had a keen interest in them.
Who gives a s**t about the Suns? There is no soul or anything for locals to connect to. Plus what a s**t truck sounding name. Bleh
Go Sharks

Even growing up in Brisbane we just expected that should SE QLD get another team it would be Southport. Everyone respected that club and as soon as it was known that it wouldn't be the Sharks joining the AFL I knew it would flop. Pee the Suns off to Tassie to alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston and bring the Sharks in already.

This year will go down as an absolute rollercoaster for Richmond and that comes after doing everything right in the off-season.

By adding Tom Lynch to their forward line, they secured the best player on the market and dropped him into a side that had won 18 games the year before. But no one could have predicted that almost every key Tiger would miss extended time with injuries throughout the year.

It makes judging their list a tricky process. While some areas of need have clearly been shown up, it’s unlikely their depth will be tested so severely two years in a row.

Plus, it is certainly impressive that even with everything that has gone wrong, they are still in the top four mix. If they can stay healthy for the rest of the year, I’m confident they can go on another finals run.

With Shaun Grigg retiring, his partnership with Toby Nankervis is over. Ivan Soldo has been tried in the ruck and while he might get to that level eventually, I think he is a little bit undersized when it comes to going up against the monsters of the competition.

At 25, Nankervis is still in his prime so it isn’t like Richmond should be going out and trying to secure a star like Todd Goldstein.

I think it is more a case of being shrewd. Try to get a quality back-up at a good price, who can step up and play the No. 1 ruck role if called upon.

After their big Lynch signing, it is unlikely they would be a major player during the trade period again. However, I’ll be interested to see what happens with Brandon Ellis. Two months ago I would have said he was more than likely gone after looking down on confidence.

But he and Damien Hardwick appear to be back on the same page and I think he is an important player for the Tigers to try and keep. While he isn’t a superstar, this year has proved, you can never have too much depth.

Brandon Ellis
Ellis put off contract talks early in the year and will likely assess rival offers from clubs needing pace. He has used the ball well this year and despite being dropped last year, has enough traits that rivals will be able to offer more opportunity that the Tigers. Then it comes down to how much he wants to stay.

Callum Moore
Played six games in 2018 as a tall leading forward but has battled an ankle injury this year. With Jack Riewoldt still likely to play on for some time and Tom Lynch on a long-term deal, would a rival try to poach him for a later pick?

Shai Bolton
Is just becoming the player Richmond hoped and signed on last year despite rival interest because he “loved the club”. No reason to think he won’t get opportunities but would Adelaide come hard at him given Eddie Betts is closer to the end of his career?

Paddy Ryder
Out of favour at Port Adelaide, would the Tigers look at trying to squeeze Ryder into their mix? Despite his struggles this year, he still demands respect as a forward and can hold his own against most opposition ruckmen. He will be 32 at the start of next season but could be worth the risk.

Ryan Abbott
Currently behind Rhys Stanley, Darcy Fort and Zac Smith in the pecking order, the mature age ruckman could be looking around for more opportunity. He has shown he is clearly too good for VFL level and could be the perfect low risk back up for Nankervis.

Griffin Logue
Still without a contract for next year at the Dockers, plenty of rival clubs would love to drop Logue into their backline. With Alex Pearce’s injury, the former first round draft pick has shown he is capable of holding down a key defensive post. While Alex Rance is set to return next year, there is always room for another quality defender.

A club that had only won the premiership a year previous was able to secure the best free agent out there and for only about a million bucks a year.
Tom Lynch has been a riotous success if you consider he has come off a PCL injury, playing every game and having several huge games.
The critics have come for him but consider what he will do in the next five seasons when fully fit.

Even though he is only approaching full fitness, his worst games have still included a couple of telling moments in a team that has missed Jack Riewoldt.
The Tigers moved on the likes of Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis, forcing themselves to find some depth. Instead of playing those guys when the injuries hit they have unearthed the likes of Sydney Stack, Noah Balta and Ivan Soldo.

The Tigers also have high hopes for Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 20) and have seen the potential in bash-and-crash midfielder Jack Ross, who is only out of the side because of injury.

Soldo undersized?

Hes 204cm and 106kgs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly for GC fans there will always be an inherent struggle when there’s a free market. What would players born and bred in Melbourne with ambitions to play on the Mecca , MCG not take advantage of opportunity to go home. What’s holding them back , and the answer needs to be more than money.
It’s no co incidence that no soccer, footy or NRL team has been successful , the glitter strip doesn’t exactly lend itself to being the next Manchester United. They’re a real worry

Gold Coast Suns have got their worries no doubt. And the history of other codes there has always been an ominous warning to the AFL about this project. But the AFL, having committed so much to the project is compelled to give it every chance to succeed.

There are Victorian players happily plying their trade in every AFL state, including for Gold Coast. And I am sure Gold Coast does have its attractions for certain players as well. They need to build the culture into one the players believe in. No doubt there are people at the club well aware of this. I am one who believes that almost all non performing organisations can be turned around by good leadership, management and good decision making.

Loading up on gun youngsters at the pointy end of the draft just serves to perpetuate the nursery for other clubs effect. They have plenty of talented young players, they don't need more right now. They barely have any players who have played in a finals team, and no players that have longish histories of playing in successful teams. This is what they desperately need. And this is why I think this is where any concessions should be targeted. If that doesn't work then overloading them with gun youngsters certainly won't.

Gold Coast themselves I believe should trade their first pick this year and convert it to a minimum of 2-3 picks between about 15 and 30. get some more concession picks in this range, then get the shopping trolley out for mature competitive AFL players from other clubs. It might be well possible to get 5 ready made players, including plenty of leadership, in this way.

Here are some players they might target with good contracts:

Crows: Tom Lynch

Lions: Mitch Robinson

Carlton: Ed Curnow

Collingwood: Levi Greenwood

Essendon: David Zaharakis

Fremantle: nil

Geelong: Cam Guthrie

GWS: Nick Haynes, Adam Kennedy

Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead, Ben Stratton, Liam Shiels

Melbourne: Nathan Jones, Neville Jetta

North Melbourne: Ben Cunnington, Scott Thompson

Port Adelaide: Brad Ebert, Tom Jonas

Richmond: Nick Vlastuin, Shane Edwards, David Astbury, Kane Lambert, Kamdyn McIntosh

St Kilda: Shane Savage, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster

Sydney: Dane Rampe

West Coast: nil

Western Bulldogs: Jackson Trengove

I am sure people within the industry could come up with a better list, and no doubt some of my list are totally unattainable for the Suns. But the right mixture of 4-5 of those players injected rd 1 next year would really boost a team like the Suns. And likely provide a lot of leadership at the same time. In a lot of cases I am sure $400-500k range contracts and picks in the range 15-30 would secure them if they could get the players interested.

Brandon Ellis

Callum Moore

Shai Bolton

Paddy Ryder

Ryan Abbott

Griffin Logue

Ralph's stuff is OK. Goddard seems to have no idea. Soldo is not undersized. We've got young ruck stocks coming out of our ears.

Ralph's stuff.
BEllis - yep. He'll be looked at by quite a few clubs and perhaps get offered serious $. If we lose him I'd hope for a decent pick in return (trade of FA)
Moore - yep no real place going forward and would free up space for us to get a junior KPF.
Bolton - Why Adelaide? (unless he knows something) Hope we keep him. But he should be worth a fair bit in a trade. Not sure if the smoke here has any fire under it. I suspect it's just that Shai is to talented to not be playing AFL, and given he's only just broken into the team commentators are making up stories.

Other than that, we might be after a mature back up ruck. Cause we know one would be useful over the next year or 2. Then CCJ comes on and perhaps Soldo steps up again. And of course Chol is a useful no.2 ruck to have. So we've got depth, but maybe would like maturity. Shrugs.

Rest is just blah, blah. SO we've got not much in the way of rumours around us this year.

Perhaps will trade some decent quality out to get space and picks. Maybe we can snag a good player by making some cap space. But right now my guess is that we have plenty of depth and will just keep building, unless something very tasty lands in our lap.

I have this feeling that Balme is entering new territory here when it comes to finalising our playing list for 2020. Everything seemed to be tracking by the book until our injury crisis led to the emergence of Stack, Bolton, Balta, Chol, Egg and Baker as serious contenders for weekly selection. Not to mention Marlion Pickett in the wings with Soldo proving to be a competent solid performer. Not one of these names is on serious money and everyone deserves to be retained on our list. There will be some hard conversations at player exit interviews later in the year with some established players being offered substantially reduced money to continue or invited to seek opportunities elsewhere. Fun times ahead.

Astbury has re-signed for 2

Saw a Facebook page suggesting the same

I was happy to let him go but after this year he’s shown how important he is structurally

Gold Coast Suns have got their worries no doubt. And the history of other codes there has always been an ominous warning to the AFL about this project. But the AFL, having committed so much to the project is compelled to give it every chance to succeed.

There are Victorian players happily plying their trade in every AFL state, including for Gold Coast. And I am sure Gold Coast does have its attractions for certain players as well. They need to build the culture into one the players believe in. No doubt there are people at the club well aware of this. I am one who believes that almost all non performing organisations can be turned around by good leadership, management and good decision making.

Loading up on gun youngsters at the pointy end of the draft just serves to perpetuate the nursery for other clubs effect. They have plenty of talented young players, they don't need more right now. They barely have any players who have played in a finals team, and no players that have longish histories of playing in successful teams. This is what they desperately need. And this is why I think this is where any concessions should be targeted. If that doesn't work then overloading them with gun youngsters certainly won't.

Gold Coast themselves I believe should trade their first pick this year and convert it to a minimum of 2-3 picks between about 15 and 30. get some more concession picks in this range, then get the shopping trolley out for mature competitive AFL players from other clubs. It might be well possible to get 5 ready made players, including plenty of leadership, in this way.

Here are some players they might target with good contracts:

Crows: Tom Lynch

Lions: Mitch Robinson

Carlton: Ed Curnow

Collingwood: Levi Greenwood

Essendon: David Zaharakis

Fremantle: nil

Geelong: Cam Guthrie

GWS: Nick Haynes, Adam Kennedy

Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead, Ben Stratton, Liam Shiels

Melbourne: Nathan Jones, Neville Jetta

North Melbourne: Ben Cunnington, Scott Thompson

Port Adelaide: Brad Ebert, Tom Jonas

Richmond: Nick Vlastuin, Shane Edwards, David Astbury, Kane Lambert, Kamdyn McIntosh

St Kilda: Shane Savage, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster

Sydney: Dane Rampe

West Coast: nil

Western Bulldogs: Jackson Trengove

I am sure people within the industry could come up with a better list, and no doubt some of my list are totally unattainable for the Suns. But the right mixture of 4-5 of those players injected rd 1 next year would really boost a team like the Suns. And likely provide a lot of leadership at the same time. In a lot of cases I am sure $400-500k range contracts and picks in the range 15-30 would secure them if they could get the players interested.
Blokes like Trengove are about the best kind of player to target. Good enough to fit into their 22, but more importantly is one of the best off-field leaders of any player on an AFL list. Fondly remembered by Port fans despite leaving through Free Agency, and is loved at the Dogs (is frustrating at times, but not a single person questions his character). I highly doubt the Dogs would let him go thanks to our shortage of KPDs and Rucks, but he's exactly the type they SHOULD be targeting.

I'll second the Nathan Jones suggestion, and add in Josh Kennedy from Sydney and Will Schofield from West Coast

Hopefully Astbury and Rance stay fit and healthy for another few years because at the moment backups are a bit thin.

These 2 are right up there with Barass/McGovern as s kpd combination and we probably won’t realise how important they are until they’re gone.
:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back