Discussion Who remembers the Doug Cox affair?

The Jack

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
The old man took me into the club at the time and we purchased a " I hate the Tigers" badge. Sat it proudly on my duffle coat.

On a side note that duffle coat had Mark 19 Scott on it at one stage. Should there be some kind of penalty for that.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Linton St

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
When Foschini came to the Saints i was in my mid teens. I liked him. Played some good games for us and loved a goal.

Went from the Swans
View attachment 309225

To the Courts
View attachment 309226

Then to the Mighty Saints
View attachment 309230
His shoulders were the worst I've ever known for a VFL/AFL player.
In his first year with South Melb/Sydney aged 17/18, he kicked 37 goals from 17 games.
Followed up with 42 from 21 games the next year..
We had high hopes for Hi Ho Silvio after his controversial switch to St.Kilda, & i even put 6 on the back of my jumper ( Naturally No 1 was on the back of my duffle coat).

Also got to know Silvio on a personal level, & to this day he's still a top guy & he loves the Saints!!

Doug Cox coached the reserves at my Club in Brisbane in the late-'90s, I was in seniors so never played directly under him but would always have a beer after games and at functions and discuss his time at Saints, really nice guy.

I was at that game at VFL Park when Foschini and Morwood played their first game, even as a youngster it felt like we'd finally had a win off-field after years of being screwed over. I loved Silvio, had is name/number on my duffle coat for his whole time with us.

I miss looking at people's duffle coats, why did that disappear?

Actually I've always wondered that myself , you always saw them at the footy and all of a sudden they were gone.

But I agree with you , after years of being on the bottom and treated like rubbish we actually stood up like the big boys and gave a Fock you to the vfl as it was back then . I remember I felt so proud for once, we showed them .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

His shoulders were the worst I've ever known for a VFL/AFL player.
In his first year with South Melb/Sydney aged 17/18, he kicked 37 goals from 17 games.
Followed up with 42 from 21 games the next year..
We had high hopes for Hi Ho Silvio after his controversial switch to St.Kilda, & i even put 6 on the back of my jumper ( Naturally No 1 was on the back of my duffle coat).

Also got to know Silvio on a personal level, & to this day he's still a top guy & he loves the Saints!!

:thumbsu:
Think his son was a good Soccer player and played a few games for Victory??

The old man took me into the club at the time and we purchased a " I hate the Tigers" badge. Sat it proudly on my duffle coat.

On a side note that duffle coat had Mark 19 Scott on it at one stage. Should there be some kind of penalty for that.

Mark Scott was a good player for us , with that I mean he did nothing for about five weeks then out of nowhere kicked nine goals straight. Those days when he kicked goals he kicked them from every angle , on his day he was a fantastic kick. Nothing wrong with having his name on your back.

Mark Scott was a good player for us , with that I mean he did nothing for about five weeks then out of nowhere kicked nine goals straight. Those days when he kicked goals he kicked them from every angle , on his day he was a fantastic kick. Nothing wrong with having his name on your back.

Scott had an amazing Reserves career that never quite developed into a great AFL (VFL at the time) career.
But was still a very handy forward for a few seasons.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Did you have one of those one-eyed saints patch?

Did you have one of those one-eyed saints patch?
images-5.jpg

Duffell coat wasnt complete without one mate:thumbsu:

Millsie73

Draftee
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doug Cox coached the reserves at my Club in Brisbane in the late-'90s, I was in seniors so never played directly under him but would always have a beer after games and at functions and discuss his time at Saints, really nice guy.

I was at that game at VFL Park when Foschini and Morwood played their first game, even as a youngster it felt like we'd finally had a win off-field after years of being screwed over. I loved Silvio, had is name/number on my duffle coat for his whole time with us.

I miss looking at people's duffle coats, why did that disappear?
Sorry to revive this old thread. My uncle is Paul Cox, who most likely was the reserves coach you’re talking about. He moved to Brisbane in the late 80s while Doug returned to Adelaide. Paul is Doug’s brother and he played under 19s for Richmond sometime in the early 70s.
Doug played for Essendon after playing for St Kilda and played in a reserves premiership. He also won the GF sprint one year.

Ahh the memories, i bought a house in Moorabbin in 1981 just near the ground, couldn't believe my luck, people would ask my wife where i was and she would give them one guess, over at the club as usual.

The boys used to run at night sometimes around the streets, i remember sitting on my front fence geeing them up, when a straggler came out of the dark huffing and puffing, it was Plugger. I said as he approached me, "pick up the pace Tony" his reply was to get right up in my face and tell me to "go and fornicate myself" and then that big smile followed, thank geebus for that he was huge.

Yep. Standard issue the old DC.

That and a beanie. If the sun was in your eyes, you'd shove your footy record up the beanie to make a visor.

And you also had a small fold out stool for half time.
Geez mate you just quoted my post from Feb 2017 LOL.
Can't wait till you finally respond to my
" Is Graeme Gellie going to be a good coach for us" post. :D

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Geez showing your age there. The Observer and Press.

Sporting Globe with ALf Potter from memory... Even The Truth had footy news with Harry Beitzel I think.

And who could forget, "The Truth"? I Remember Jack Dyer'S weekly column was called, "Dyer 'ere! ". It took one of my mates decades to finally get it. 😆

Harvey to Hayes

All Australian
Jun 8, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry to revive this old thread. My uncle is Paul Cox, who most likely was the reserves coach you’re talking about. He moved to Brisbane in the late 80s while Doug returned to Adelaide. Paul is Doug’s brother and he played under 19s for Richmond sometime in the early 70s.
Doug played for Essendon after playing for St Kilda and played in a reserves premiership. He also won the GF sprint one year.
Did Paul call himself Doug and like to recount his brother's stories of playing at St Kilda? What an odd thing to write...

Back