No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KB quits GuesSEN!

Thank the stars above him and the other goose is awful radio, I don’t have to listen to his false teeth clicking any longer !

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Nah, that’s bullshit...they have had more first rounders than we have had over the same period..

The club need to feed the AFL exactly the same bullshit they were fed last year, they need to stand up to it.

Do you think these campaigners would be talking about this and agreeing if we were still stinking it up as well?

Beast__Mode

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Easy to say “what’s one more kid going to do, they’ve had heaps of them, he’ll only leave after his first contract like the rest”. Another string bean kid helps them, how? By the time he’s any good they’ll have probably lost another five players and so it goes around.

So it’s a No to this option.

Then you could say, “give them the pick but make them trade it”. But if that’s the rule, and other clubs know it, GC won’t get fair value and then necessarily another club has received pick 1 at unfair value.

So, an even bigger NO to this, because we can’t have credible clubs getting such a leg up in a tight competition.

So, what’s left? Personally, I’d give them what both they and us should have received last year. An extra pick before this year’s finalists in the first round, and two state league players they can choose (or trade) before the draft. I’d also consider giving them short term salary cap relief - they are held over a barrel by agents to a greater degree than other clubs because agents play on the retention issues when dealing with them.

It’s all lipstick on a pig until they figure out a way to build a proper club environment. Honestly I’m not sure playing the victim helps them do this, it just reinforces to agents and players the hopelessness of the case and self perpetuates itself. GWS defended their rights and handouts, but never played the victim and they are far better for it today.

Most importantly, after near on a decade of massive upheaval in the talent pathway, I’d be extremely hesitant in getting in to that business again if I were the AFL. Ultimately, such disruption wins or loses other teams premierships. Hawthorn and Geelong profited from GWS and GCS, and some other club will profit from this situation if the AFL go too far.

So of course they’ll hand over pick one and staunch the amputated limb with a big shiny band aid, presented with suitable gravity at a very serious press conference.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Maybe Gold Coast should look within as to why they are such an embarassment to the league.

You don't have a culture, you're previous captains have been horrible leaders as far as commitment to the club (Ablett hissy fitting out the door, and the horrible shape May presented to Melbourne.)...and you consistently want handout after handout and expect the league to hand you every advantage to be competitive instead of doing it yourself.

Get stuffed. Turkey stuffing to keep Dew happy.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Either I'm behind the 8 ball or it is fresh of the press, but either way I'm shocked that KB has been removed from SEN effective immediately. Aplogies if already posted, and also apologies if in wrong thread.

and every second time an announcer opens his mouth (his, of course) another sponsor's name falls out........any chance to stuff a commercial brandname into a conversation..........beyond listenable..........which is why I no longer listen to GuesSEN..........

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
and every second time an announcer opens his mouth (his, of course) another sponsor's name falls out........any chance to stuff a commercial brandname into a conversation..........beyond listenable..........which is why I no longer listen to GuesSEN..........
This post brought to you by Shanghai Dumpling House

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
This news won't please the Adelaide Crows supporters!!

And here I was thinking Rankine to the Crows was already a done deal with the pick they got from us.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Great news for Gold Coast, a plastic club with no history.

Like I said in another thread, move em to tassie.

Hobart Devils

Do it

A Tassie club would be great wouldn’t it? At least I think it would

18 teams in the comp is already too much imo.
Bite your tongue, as an ex-pat Northern Tasmanian, how dare you suggest Hobart Devils...…. Tassie Devils is more logical and encompasses the entire state. North/South rivalry is undersold by non Tasmanians. Some devoted fans would boycott Hobart in the team name. Unless something has changed, the larger portion of the population still resides in the North.

Seriously though, a dedicated Tassie team would "easily" pull 20,000 per week, as opposed to Suns and GWS crowds.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Bite your tongue, as an ex-pat Northern Tasmanian, how dare you suggest Hobart Devils...…. Tassie Devils is more logical and encompasses the entire state. North/South rivalry is undersold by non Tasmanians. Some devoted fans would boycott Hobart in the team name. Unless something has changed, the larger portion of the population still resides in the North.

Seriously though, a dedicated Tassie team would "easily" pull 20,000 per week, as opposed to Suns and GWS crowds.

I think if the had their own team down there the would pull strong memberships and crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back