Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns should target Josh Kennedy from the Swans and Luke Breust from the Hawks. Two experienced players who come from arguably the best clubs of the past decade, they are both super professional and would be terrific leaders for the Suns younger players. They can both play at a high standard as well. Offer both 4 year deals on big coin. The AFL should step in and help them lure these guys. If they were able to add a couple of quality veterans then I wouldn't be against them getting a PP as well to really help them turn their list around.

I hope the Suns get some help. The sort that really actually helps. In our case it was Fagan, Noble and Hodge to drive standards on and off the field. If their help includes a PP I would be OK with it.

They need some support for Dew of the sort that builds confidence. Much of the rest is just having a young inexperienced list that they need to retain. This is really year one for Dew after all the changes there were at the end of last season.

Only way I see of helping the Suns in a meaningful way is if the AFL appointed a Suns equivalent of FagNob. Otherwise I just don't know.
AFL already have.

They brought in Tony Cochrane in 2014. Becoming Chairman in 2016.
Mark Evans was appointed CEO in 2017.
GM John Haines, head of recruiting Craig Cameron and Dew were all brought at the end of 2017.

Suns should target Josh Kennedy from the Swans and Luke Breust from the Hawks. Two experienced players who come from arguably the best clubs of the past decade, they are both super professional and would be terrific leaders for the Suns younger players. They can both play at a high standard as well. Offer both 4 year deals on big coin. The AFL should step in and help them lure these guys. If they were able to add a couple of quality veterans then I wouldn't be against them getting a PP as well to really help them turn their list around.
I know the Suns board mentioned Kennedy last night.

One of their posters mentioned if they get beginning of first round compo pick they should use their Lions draft pick and the pick they get from Jack Martin being traded out to trade in mature leaders.

Wonder if Swans and Hawks would take late first round picks for Kennedy and Bruest.

If I was the AFL I'd try poaching Simon Lloyd from the Cats as a starting point for the Suns David Noble equivalent as GM of football.

I also like lionshine s idea of J.Kennedy and Bruest and possibly Jarryd Roughead for 1 year on field and a couple off field.

I get this but why did Dew & Co push Jarrod Lyons out of the place - he was their best contested ball player and the perfect hardened body to support their young guns...just short sighted stupidity IMO.

I get this but why did Dew & Co push Jarrod Lyons out of the place - he was their best contested ball player and the perfect hardened body to support their young guns...just short sighted stupidity IMO.
Struggled to get from contest to contest apparently.
He did struggle from rounds 3 - 7 this year but since then has been fantastic and certainly doesn’t seem to be struggling with his fitness!

So they could get quality players like Horlin-Smith, Ellis and Murdoch who aways go hard and set the example for the rest of the list. I can't believe they've used all three of these players as the spare defender this year, baffling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like the tactical complexity of the game has increased a lot over the last last few years but we only get a small glimpse of that in media coverage. Lots of rusted on fans are still at the "just kick it" stage.

I feel like the tactical complexity of the game has increased a lot over the last last few years but we only get a small glimpse of that in media coverage. Lots of rusted on fans are still at the "just kick it" stage.

The replies to the tweet prove your point nicely.
  • People listing skillful players from previous decades, ignoring both that skillful players still exist and Chris wasn't saying they didn't exist back then.
  • People complaining about turnovers, ignoring that plays exactly into Chris's point.
  • People complaining about goal kicking, as if forwards now don't run two to three times further with leads up the wings and (in general) actually chase their opponents.

Just spitballing, but I wonder how annoyed the AFL is that we've started getting great again just as the scum are falling apart. It's only an hours drive up the road to see a good team, and while there would be a few rusted-on supporters I'd say the vast majority would probably be planning to jump ship around about now. Plus there's the fact that we look a much nicer destination than the cold toast, and suddenly their worries look a bit worse. We were very lucky that they stuffed things up while the tables were turned, otherwise they could have done us some severe damage.

Just spitballing, but I wonder how annoyed the AFL is that we've started getting great again just as the scum are falling apart. It's only an hours drive up the road to see a good team, and while there would be a few rusted-on supporters I'd say the vast majority would probably be planning to jump ship around about now. Plus there's the fact that we look a much nicer destination than the cold toast, and suddenly their worries look a bit worse. We were very lucky that they stuffed things up while the tables were turned, otherwise they could have done us some severe damage.
I know 2 families who jumped ship when the soulless Suns came into the competition... they are very very close to jumping back on the Lions bandwagon.

Does anyone know how Sam Mayes is going at Port?

I don’t recall seeing him in their side and wasn’t sure if he’s injured or whether he’s struggling like he was last year.

He always seemed like a really good lad.

Does anyone know how Sam Mayes is going at Port?

I don’t recall seeing him in their side and wasn’t sure if he’s injured or whether he’s struggling like he was last year.

He always seemed like a really good lad.

From what I understand he is well settled in Adelaide with his partner (she originally worked for the Lions I believe). He hasn’t made it out of SANFL but I don’t believe he is injured. Hopefully he can play enough good football to get a start for the Power before the season is over. He was always a likeable and pleasant player but quite reserved.

Sam has been named in the bests in quite a few games in the SANFL and been named in the mix for the seniors regularly as well.

No ill will whatsoever towards Sam, he's a 101 game player for us so I hope Sam gets on the job and we can then keep an eye out for father sons/daughters for us.

I know 2 families who jumped ship when the soulless Suns came into the competition... they are very very close to jumping back on the Lions bandwagon.

They're all welcome back. However...

scarlet-letter.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back