Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
This just popped up on FB;

Interesting that someone on here said Gibbs was basically only working with Pyke now, due to issues with an assistant...

He’s never been one if the elite players in the game. If he’s offside with assistant coaches he’s got my vote of support. There’s been talk of cliques, with Tex’s name consistently mentioned, as well. No real surprises really.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
As much as I think campo is a hack if Gibbs is the only player with an issue with him then in this case the problem isn't Campo.

Unless you’re on the right side of the incompetence, it’s unlikely that you’ll have a voice. No junior player wants it to be known they have a problem with a coach. Gibbs rolls in with a vastly different mindset than the kids that might be feeling similarly.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unless you’re on the right side of the incompetence, it’s unlikely that you’ll have a voice. No junior player wants it to be known they have a problem with a coach. Gibbs rolls in with a vastly different mindset than the kids that might be feeling similarly.

There's plenty of senior players who could have said something. Then again, they probably don't want to hurt their post football AFC job.

Please refer to original tweat and the s**tshow that has unfolded in front of our eyes this season
Feel free to come up with your own conclusions

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
Sorry. What do you mean tweat? Ta

Yes, the main rumour is true. It's the all the other extensions that have mostly been false.
He hasn't been abducted by aliens and replaced by jasper Pittard?

So the club is aware of his personal issues and understand he isn't in a great head space. The senior coach comes out and mentions that he needs a good solid block of around 4 weeks in the SANFL. The mid field assistant coach mentions the senior coach is dealing with him exclusively to ensure he is getting direct feedback and to avoid mixed messaging. And yet they continue to yo-yo him in and out of the side?

SMH.
The club has been put in a difficult position.. but imo has not handled it well either. The yo-yoing has done neither Gibbs nor the club any favours.

Needs a good month away from afl action.

Shambolic.

Not the first time we've had conflicting information from different coaches and players this year, either.
There has been deliberate messaging to avoid telling the real reasons, for good reason... but personally I could have come up with a better messaging.

Full story will eventually come out, it will make for interesting reading.

What I will be most interested in, is if the Club knew of his off-field issues before trading for him. Neither answer is good either.
Yes, but thought it had been fixed.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The club has been put in a difficult position.. but imo has not handled it well either. The yo-yoing has done neither Gibbs nor the club any favours.

Problem now is that we are entering the pointy end of the season. Gibbs is cooked between the ears and the only youngster we have got games into is Jones. Like other posters have mentioned, historically they'll back the veterans in now.

It's frustrating that they seem to be so completely risk averse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Still three players that would rather abandon a football career than play under the current regime.
If by current regime you mean Pyke, well no.

You can't put Jaensch on Pyke. He was having issues well before hand, drink driving when we were playing finals, coming back from injury... Pyke barely had his feet under the desk when Jaensch chucked it in.

Menzel, again no. He was delisted. Didn't give up the game for emotional reasons.

Hampton giving up for emotional reasons is the only one you can put on Pyke if that's your game, but again I suspect he knew he was about to be delisted as we all did and after that horror game there was no reason to drag it out.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
If by current regime you mean Pyke, well no.

You can't put Jaensch on Pyke. He was having issues well before hand, drink driving when we were playing finals, coming back from injury... Pyke barely had his feet under the desk when Jaensch chucked it in.

Menzel, again no. He was delisted. Didn't give up the game for emotional reasons.

Hampton giving up for emotional reasons is the only one you can put on Pyke if that's your game, but again I suspect he knew he was about to be delisted as we all did and after that horror game there was no reason to drag it out.

Hampton was struggling at GWS before he got to us, similar Menzel at Carlton. Both highly talented players, Jaensch too for that matter, who struggled with the professionalism required for the game.

Johnny Plummer

Draftee
Jul 7, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
He’s never been one if the elite players in the game. If he’s offside with assistant coaches he’s got my vote of support. There’s been talk of cliques, with Tex’s name consistently mentioned, as well. No real surprises really.
Tex is very opinionated.
Time to find some form instead.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is where I think we’ve struggled as a club with getting the most out of our senior, established players. We simply don’t have the balls to drop a player and demand they play consistently good footy at the lower level before they get a recall. We struggle to drop them in the first place, and when we do they’re generally rushed back in. The established players generally aren’t fearful of being dropped, there’s no selection pressure.

I think if you’re dropping a big name, established type for form reasons, generally I’d say they should be dropped for minimum 3, 2 if they’re really making a mockery of the SANFL.

But then in our minds, I don’t think dropping a player means the same to the coaching staff as it does everyone else. It’s not about dropping a player so he finds form, so he pulls his finger out, it’s not to send a message. That’s all about the future, when our selection committee sit down and chat, it’s all about that weekend, about rating who we think will play the best that weekend. There’s no thought to what will benefit us in 2, 6 or 12 weeks, or 12-24 months for that matter.

Even when we dropped Jenkins, he was still named on the emergencies every week. Whilst that period was a step in the right direction, we clearly weren’t comfortable with it.

Crowboto

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Francou, Bode off field

There's quite a few where it's been a square peg, round hole situation.

There's never going to be zero turnover of course but you wonder if there's a lack of flexibility in certain individuals at the club. Strong personalities who are unable to get the best out of people who are different to them. And favour those who are of similar mindset.
I think nearly every company i have worked for in this state have been dysfunctional and breeds a culture of nepotism. None of them have performed as well as they could. Why would an AFL club in this state be any different. They all have their heads shoved so far up each others arses they are blind. There is a reason why our talented youngsters dont come in and shine like they do at other clubs. Capt Tex, Rory and co. need to take a good hard look at themselves. They have achieved nothing. Don is a muppett who thinks he knows better. The club appears to have some sort of weird ass pecking order to accomodate all the huge egos of the senior playing group. We will go nowhere until a raft of changes are made and some heads that contain common sense hold the power.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Wait what ?? A player is offside with the coaches and he has your support ?? Talk about tail wagging the dog.

Tex is very opinionated.
Time to find some form instead.
Are you capable of doing 2 things?

What was wrong with the captain being critical of a poor performance?

What would Wines do? ;)

I'm no fan of Gibbs, but the fact the performance of Douglas has been deemed acceptable and he's still in the side bit Gibbs isn't is a huge double standard.

Even I'd have Gibbs in over Douglas currently.
The correct answer is neither!

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
This just popped up on FB;

Interesting that someone on here said Gibbs was basically only working with Pyke now, due to issues with an assistant...

A quick peak at that page's history reveals they have NFI what's going on. Cringe.

A quick peak at that page's history reveals they have NFI what's going on. Cringe.
That post didn't exactly scream of professionalism. Loved how they threw Tex's name in there because everyone at the Crows who isn't in the team or wants out is because of Big Bad Tex Hitler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back