Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he showed enough to be given another year but I'm just a random online know it all nuffie.

I agree, but by the same token it depends what we're looking at giving up by keeping him on. We're entering a period of (hopefully) limited list spots and Hinge has had two years on the list and barely broken into the team. If we end up in a situation where not re-contracting him means we have to take pick 55, I'd lean towards keeping him. If it's a top 30 pick I'd definitely be taking the pick given our track record with those recently. So I guess the breakeven is somewhere in the middle, and he's probably gone more likely than not.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I agree, but by the same token it depends what we're looking at giving up by keeping him on. We're entering a period of (hopefully) limited list spots and Hinge has had two years on the list and barely broken into the team. If we end up in a situation where not re-contracting him means we have to take pick 55, I'd lean towards keeping him. If it's a top 30 pick I'd definitely be taking the pick given our track record with those recently. So I guess the breakeven is somewhere in the middle, and he's probably gone more likely than not.
How many list spots we open up at the end of the season will depend on how highly we rate the draft and who is a realistic chance of being available at our selections, and if we have some trade ins looking likely to happen.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone know how long before Round 23, the AFL usually release the times for the draw? Thinking of going down for the weekend but makes it hard to confirm things when the game time isn’t locked in.

Last edited:
Anyone know how long before Round 23 the AFL usually release the times for the draw? Thinking of going down for the weekend but makes it hard to confirm things when the game time isn’t locked in.

End of this month last year.

Anyone know how long before Round 23 the AFL usually release the times for the draw? Thinking of going down for the weekend but makes it hard to confirm things when the game time isn’t locked in.

I'd imagine it would be either the Friday or sat night looking at the round with the pies vs Essendon the other. I'd say it will be a prime time game. Only two games in melb that weekend so I think they will be in the big timeslots. They're shaping as two of the more interesting games of the round too if current form holds reasonably steady.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Hinge is quite a skillful player and a good size he just seemed a bit slow in his thinking and actions in the 1s which probably comes from years in the NEAFL....to me given an extended go he could be our next Patful.

Noah Answerth not good enough for you?:) On 2 games, I would not be unhappy if Mitch is with us next year.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I think you can just about 'lock' in Saturday night. I'm usually right about this stuff. ;)

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't take Answerth every year!
The problem with keeping Hinge is that he would need to be upgraded on to the senior list along with Oscar,which means if we want to pick up 4 or 5 players in the draft and another player or two via trades we would have to delist or trade 5 or 6 from our senior list. Pretty hard to find that many players that we would want to get rid of. Tough job for the list managers.

I think you can just about 'lock' in Saturday night. I'm usually right about this stuff. ;)
Honestly could be the Friday night, two sides potentially battling for a top 4 position, the rest of the round doesn't look as spicy.

Friday or Saturday night prime-time and free to air is almost 100% you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with keeping Hinge is that he would need to be upgraded on to the senior list along with Oscar,which means if we want to pick up 4 or 5 players in the draft and another player or two via trades we would have to delist or trade 5 or 6 from our senior list. Pretty hard to find that many players that we would want to get rid of. Tough job for the list managers.

I don't know if we need to take that many draftees. As others have highlighted we're still the third youngest list in the comp, our medicos giving us a boon by not having to play younger guys. We probably need a few guys a bit more developed rather than some more kids and additionally we're likely to lose a few of our depth options this year just by virtue of not being able to give them the opportunities to play AFL they could get elsewhere. We're looking at one definite spot with Hodgey retiring, Cutler virtually guaranteed to explore options, Walker consigned to depth or go, Squizzy very likely to get offers elsewhere and there's 4 spots open already. There's still likely to be some hard conversations but if there's any year that a guy on the list can get another chance because keeping him as depth represents better value than taking a late draftee then it's this year.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I'd imagine it would be either the Friday or sat night looking at the round with the pies vs Essendon the other. I'd say it will be a prime time game. Only two games in melb that weekend so I think they will be in the big timeslots. They're shaping as two of the more interesting games of the round too if current form holds reasonably steady.
Given we’re everyone’s second team now and being roundly applauded for our exciting style of play etc, would it be inconceivable that we’re given a Friday night?

Given we’re everyone’s second team now and being roundly applauded for our exciting style of play etc, would it be inconceivable that we’re given a Friday night?

Not outside the realms of possibility. But if the other game involves the Pies, they will get the Friday night. I also think it is more likely that if we get to week 2 of the finals, especially if it was to be a home final that it would be a Saturday night, so keeps the timing even. Hard to know for sure until you know who is playing who, but we are much more likely the Saturday night.

I think our timeslot for round 23 will be interesting v the Tigers. Could very well be winner takes 4th spot.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
If the AFL are going to go with the bye round before the finals as a permanent thing there is no reason to delay the fixture times for the last round, everybody gets 2 weeks break anyway. Just do the whole schedule at the start of the year like they do for every other round.

It’s more about maximising revenue under the veil of “fair fixturing”.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Also surely in 2020 we get a few Friday night games if the AFL is supposedly about rewarding teams that do well. 1 at Gabba would be brilliant as well.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodgey want a 5th flag, my tip is if we win it this year he goes out on a high with 5 flags and 3 Norm Smith's in his back pocket.
Hodgey would like to play till he drops is my observation. Most people would give up after Cameron cleaned him up on Sunday but he just grimaced and pretended it hadn't happened . Right now he hasn't really got the pace or the spring to fully compete at this level but he compromises beautifully and makes up for it in so many other ways that if he wanted to play on you'd have to say yes.

The great thing about our team this year is our consistency . Just about every week you know what you're going to get. And I think he brings that level of commitment to the team so that the younger guys have no option but to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back