Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

A comprehensive win again will only lock him more in you'd think.

Especially if get * after.

I'm worried the Blues and Saints might be looking at him at that stage.

Yep there lies the problem. With Shaw showing he is capable of bringing the best out of a team and Carlton, St Kilda and probably Dockers all in the market for a coach, dragging this out may create problems. I think Shaw is happy at North, but he would be a fool not to accept a senior coach position if it was offered elsewhere and I don't believe he is a fool. Tread carefully, we could hang out hat on Longmire to have him take a bigger last minute offer from Sydney and lose out on what's under our nose.

Shaw has coached the NMFC to 4 wins out of 5 games this season. Scotts coached the NMFC to 3 wins out of 10 games this season. I spoke to Albert Einstein earlier today and he provided the following mathematical formula. Shaw > Scotts. I have to agree. :stern look

I'm sold on Shaw. Kingy would call him a 'visitor' but not me. My heart pounds when I hear good footy voices say how intimidating we are. How committed we are. How tough we are. In five games he's put together a 'team personality' that aligns perfectly with what we want our club to represent. But it's not just a hot gospeler who just gets his boys havin' a crack. He systematically picked Collingwood apart. And, faced with a challenge yesterday from a side we should be beating, turned the side around effectively to have us winning sparing the whip.

Is he in the honeymoon period? Yes. Is there some level of 'coach bounce'? Probably. Is the role of interim coach truly reflective of a senior job? No. Are there aspects of the job he hasn't been tested on yet? Yes. Will he need significant support in other footy dept roles? Probably.

But this bloke can coach. He'll get a senior job somewhere. It's been a long time since I've been as excited to watch North play as I am now. Yesterday wasn't a great win but Saturday will be amazing. We might lose. But the 'irrelevant' club of 6 weeks ago is buzzing and playing a style of football I'm proud of.

We don't have to sign him now, after Saturday, or before the end of the year. But Rhyce Shaw is has us playing a style of football that everyone else wants to play and is making us proud. Let's give him a go.

Last edited:
Shaw has coached the NMFC to 4 wins out of 5 games this season. Scotts coached the NMFC to 3 wins out of 10 games this season. I spoke to Albert Einstein earlier today and he provided the following mathematical formula. Shaw > Scotts. I have to agree. :stern look
After doing my own research, I must say that this theory is correct.

Coming out of the Good Friday game against * earlier in the year, I wrote a post along the lines of "Why a bit of my North heart broke today." It was probably a bit reactionary but it was what I felt at the time. Three months later and I go into a * game more pumped than ever. Shaws 2019 = hope. Scotts 2019 = hope lost.

Coming out of the Good Friday game against * earlier in the year, I wrote a post along the lines of "Why a bit of my North heart broke today." It was probably a bit reactionary but it was what I felt at the time. Three months later and I go into a * game more pumped than ever. Shaws 2019 = hope. Scotts 2019 = hope lost.

Dyed in the wool north people leaving that game early in absolute disgust.

It was compounding hurt.

Shaw has brought a breath of fresh air with him.

Who knows how long we can sustain it. It's here and it's now and we are a very hard side and it is awesome.

I want us play ourselves into a position where Shaw is the man. 4 wins and a vastly different outlook. We're gotta be almost there. 3 more wins I reckon. 2 if we knock of another top 4 side, this time away.

Footy is good again when it wa seemingly so far from anything.

Good Friday 2019 in reflection may have been very good. It was the day that the Brad Scott era was indisputably over. And it's not an Anti-Scott thing for me. For years I said that I'd love to see another bloke coach this list just...to see. It's 5 weeks v 9.5 years so it's not a fair comparison, but when Scott had us handballing up our own backsides at Werribee in JLT1 against the Saints, we were done. He was done. Good Friday underlined it. Thanks Brad, but there's nothing left, how do we end this. He had a lot of good days as a coach but a lot of bad ones. Losing streaks, losses to spuds, unlosable games lost. But it's not the 4/5 that has won me, it's the WAY we play. Like all good coaches, Rhyce will one day go a month without a win, lose a game against a bottom side, cough up a 6 goal lead, but if I expect to play like we have in the last month every week, I'm a happy supporter.

The funny thing for me is the presence of John Longmire. The 80s, like the 2010s, was a decade of hope trying to prevail among mediocrity. At the end of the 80s came John Longmire. A young talent, debuted just after his 17th birthday, had bags of 12 and 14 and a B&F and Coleman before he was 20. "Team of the 90s" hype was based on him, we loved him, but by the time we delivered in 1996 he was injured, usurped by his understudy and not needed. He returned, was overlooked for another GF, finally played in a premiership, but as a bit player and was retired before his 30th birthday. Now at the end on the 2010s, we again look towards Longmire but maybe he's not needed. Again maybe usurped by his understudy.

Last edited:
I felt so broken that game against the scum was horrible.. even had a massive argument with my mate cuz i went completely nuts at our s**t performance. Redemption time and Captain shaw controlling the ship

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I felt so broken that game against the scum was horrible.. even had a massive argument with my mate cuz i went completely nuts at our s**t performance. Redemption time and Captain shaw controlling the ship

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Funny you mentioned the word "captain" in your post. On Good Friday 2019, the captain of the NMFC went a whole game with 6 possessions. In the last month he has shown the leadership we expect from someone in his role. Needs to step up on Saturday.

Funny you mentioned the word "captain" in your post. On Good Friday 2019, the captain of the NMFC went a whole game with 6 possessions. In the last month he has shown the leadership we expect from someone in his role. Needs to step up on Saturday.
I think he absolutely will too. Been in great form for the last few weeks, and his quotes from his ABC interview post game on the weekend made it clear that Good Friday is in the back of the players' minds. I also love too that he phrased his goal next week as 'having a crack at them.' I think that's exactly what he'll be doing. Not that this is a good thing, but I wouldn't be at all be surprised to see him cited by the MRO next weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sold on Shaw. Kingy would call him a 'visitor' but not me. My heart pounds when I hear good footy voices say how intimidating we are. How committed we are. How tough we are. In five games he's put together a 'team personality' that aligns perfectly with what we want our club to represent. But it's not just a hot gospeler who just gets his boys havin' a crack. He systematically picked Collingwood apart. And, faced with a challenged yesterday from a side we should be beating, turned the side around effectively to have us winning sparing the whip.

Is he in the honeymoon period? Yes. Is there some level of 'coach bounce'? Probably. Is the role of interim coach truly reflective of a senior job? No. Are there aspects of the job he hasn't been tested on yet? Yes. Will he need significant support in other footy dept roles? Probably.

But this bloke can coach. He'll get a senior job somewhere. It's been a long time since I've been as excited to watch North play as I am now. Yesterday wasn't a great win but Saturday will be amazing. We might lose. But the 'irrelevant' club of 6 weeks ago is buzzing and playing a style of football I'm proud of.

We don't have to sign him now, after Saturday, or before the end of the year. But Rhyce Shaw is has us playing a style of football that everyone else wants to play and is making us proud. Let's give him a go.

44F29CCD-E515-4327-8C9A-D47165E76E92.gif

Also, I'm not sold that our new style isn't 'sustainable' due to the high level of physicality. There will be days where the physicality is slightly less, but the notion that you just can't keep playing with this level of brutality is just crap.

Rugby players do it week in week out. Combat sports competitors do it several times a week. I'm sure our blokes can bash guys up who don't want to dish it back for a few hours every weekend.

It's a matter of convincing the players that this is the new normal that is difficult. Shaw seems to have done so.

Also, I'm not sold that our new style isn't 'sustainable' due to the high level of physicality. There will be days where the physicality is slightly less, but the notion that you just can't keep playing with this level of brutality is just crap.

Rugby players do it week in week out. Combat sports competitors do it several times a week. I'm sure our blokes can bash guys up who don't want to dish it back for a few hours every weekend.

It's a matter of convincing the players that this is the new normal that is difficult. Shaw seems to have done so.
I know where you're coming from, but what seperates footy from those sports is the physicality on top of running 10+ kms every weekend. It's the combination of the two that is the most draining, and a lot of the players themselves say after a pre season that you can do all the running you want, but nothing it takes it out of you more than the running and constant contact that comes in a game.

It’s all about the players buying in and at the moment they are because
A) They love Shaw and are playing for him .
B) The effort they are giving is producing wins .
As long both keep happening , this style of footy is absolutely sustainable.
It worked for Lyon at StKilda for many years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back