Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Who played well for the Blues against the Dees in Round 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to point out the difference between this year and last.

Last year we averaged 61 points per game for and 103 points per game against.

This year we averaged 73 points per game for and 89 points per game against. So our defence and forwards are both 2 goals per game better off.

Only going to get better from here.

Slow starts does not equal lack of effort. Melbourne were constantly shrugging us and able to get away a next possession all the first half. Another pre season or two and tackles stick, bodies hold their ground.
The running capacity that this group has will not go away as they develop some “man strength”.
Soon we will be the ones owning the ball inside and running the game out.

It’s a long game, we are tracking very well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great observation.
I couldn't agree more and hope that proof will be in our 2020 season form.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hear ya Robin. Although I think those guys are out more because they flat out can’t run.

Maybe, I couldn't say what their running capacities are like, I wouldn't have thought they were bad, all I know is they don't attack the ball real hard and when the opposition get in they way they just don't go in low and hard like the others do and hit with impact. It's that impact that allows a player to win a free kick and break their arms free in a tackle. Even Silvagni has gone in there and given us that.

This part of the game is a big issue for us, we're just not a hard hitting team. Murphy has spent a bit of time not going hard but he's lifted recently, Ed goes hard, Cripps goes hard and it will be really good to have him back, Walsh goes hard and Jack is pretty hard at it. I think that's our midfield group right there. The velocity and desire to go low and hard and hit the man and the footy from Fisher, SPS and Dow has been low. One thing I will give Teague, he's sorted this out.

Even around the ground, Kennedy has come in and he's hit the footy hard and it's made things happen a few times. It's been a joy to watch because you get into serious games, it gets tough, the intensity goes up and players start hitting hard and if we build a team that can't do that then we're going to end up with a team that can with the soft games but can't beat the teams up the top and in the big games like what Ratten had to deal with.

They are out of the center because they don't physically compete hard, they don't hit the contested footy with velocity and haven't been putting their bodies on the line. Too many times I see from these guys, there's a moment you need to run hard at the ball, head over it and take a tackle and the issue is shirked or they do it at half pace and it's an easy tackle for the opposition when it could be a free kick to us or a possession for us. At some point these young guys need to draw a line in the sand and start playing tough footy or we're not going anywhere. Even Stocker showed signs that he's not going to shirk the issue and go hard when he has to, a few times he did things and took a hard tackle I just thought we might have one here.

Just an area of the game where we need to lift as a team and individual players.

He just looks like he is doing it easy when he has the ball that makes people think he is cruising.

His effort is fine, its his kicking that is annoying me, goes for these dinky 15m kicks when with his skills he should be trying to bite off a bit more and hurt opposition. Last qtr against Melbourne and tries to hit a 10m kick and goes straight to Melbourne was bewildering.

Pretty hard to get anything done offesively when 4 of our 6 defenders are all bad kicks and turning it over consistently. weiters is a good kick and simmo is ok but not elite. they others would be considered poor
how many turnovers did newmand and plowman have in the first qtr?
Plowman is pathetic by foot. Having good skills isnt just about the physical execution of the skill but also the mental ability to make the correct decision.. maybe he has a role as a lock down defender but we need to get some class around him (doc, willo, stocker & SPS) and have designated kickers

I don't think Plowman is that bad by foot, but agree his decision making is very average and cause the turnovers. The daisy-cutter he kicked to JSOS showed he can have great footskills. A lot of the time his errors are lack of awareness (e.g needs to kick it lower or a bullet because someone is closing in) or tries to do too much. Same for Marchbank, its like they don't have peripheral vision sometimes.

AFL Team Of The Week

Well done JSOS :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Another who has had his doubters is Jack Silvagni, but he's showing his versatility, both in the middle and up forward.

6613-TOTW-2019-R16-IC.jpg

The most turnovers i can recall our back 6 making and resulted in lots of goals to Melbourne...some absolute shockers. Cut those down and we win easily. Hopefully it was a one off, we're not usually that bad.

Positives
  • The individual form of JSOS & Casboult...both have been maligned over the journey but were our best 2 players and putting together great seasons. Think we need to keep Casboult now.
  • Kennedy & Setterfield showing that they will be key players to our side in the years to come as players who can rotate mid/forward.
  • Dow & Setterfield have both improved their set shot kicking...both of their kicking actions look good now. Dow has kicked 2 in last 2 weeks and Setters kicked all 3 of his set shots vs Melbourne.
  • We kicked 100 points again despite not having McKay, Curnow & Cunners...not to mention Cripps & Doc. That's impressive. We have now kicked 100 points 3 times this year after not doing it for 3 years.
  • We again showed we can score quickly, meaning we are an offensive threat to opposition teams and shows the team at least have a fighting mindset and don't easily throw in the towel.
If losing the likes of Cripps/McKay/Curnow for a few games was what was required to 'unearth' JSOS/Kennedy/Setterfield where they really showed they can be best 22 players for years to come then it may have been a blessing in disguise, even if it costs us some wins.

I don't think Plowman is that bad by foot, but agree his decision making is very average and cause the turnovers. The daisy-cutter he kicked to JSOS showed he can have great footskills. A lot of the time his errors are lack of awareness (e.g needs to kick it lower or a bullet because someone is closing in) or tries to do too much. Same for Marchbank, its like they don't have peripheral vision sometimes.
I get what u are saying but that “daisy cutter” is the exception for him, not the norm. Yes he gets “crap jobs” playing on tough opponents but I’m afraid as a defender that is his job! Atm he is a conduit to goals for oppo teams either by poor defensive efforts or turnovers. His best is pretty good but he has a lot to sort out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow starts does not equal lack of effort. Melbourne were constantly shrugging us and able to get away a next possession all the first half. Another pre season or two and tackles stick, bodies hold their ground.
The running capacity that this group has will not go away as they develop some “man strength”.

Well said. 14 Melbourne players aged 23 to 27. We had 5.

They won’t be so easy to shrug off soon.

Whilst I agree with most of that - until we get rid of the players who constantly turn the ball over then we’ll never take the next step.

We would have been well in the game in the first half if we hadn’t torched the ball so often, and most of those “torchers” were in the age bracket that have that “man strength”.

Whilst I agree with most of that - until we get rid of the players who constantly turn the ball over then we’ll never take the next step.

We would have been well in the game in the first half if we hadn’t torched the ball so often, and most of those “torchers” were in the age bracket that have that “man strength”.
Yes the boys were brushed off but those howlers from Murphy, Plowman, Simmo, Jones were killers.

Probably been said but congratulations to all Carlton supporters for the absolutely great crowd of 55,000 + for the early Sunday time slot. Fantastic crowd and a real feather in the cap for our club and supporter base.

School hols and a Sunday as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been a problem for a loooong time.
I think that Teague goes to the problem when he talks about concentration needing to be much better.
Not sure any other coach of ours has actually adressed it this way.
Headspace.

Re-watched the game

1st Qtr - Our hands, disposal by hand and foot was putrid. Dow in the open kicking to a leading McGovern was poor, ball slingshots to the other end an Demons convert. If he is to remain in the side it can't be as a high HF, a deep leading pocket player would suit better. Walsh's attack on the ball was beyond his years. Levi's kicking has continued to improve.McGovern from 20 metres out, needs to convert from those shots. Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 4 goals

2nd Qtr - Again our decision making and disposal was poor, many times when players were out, we couldn't hit them. Levi's continued to be good by foot, Jack was also clean again and our best player for the half, followed by Weitering how controlled the aerial contests. Again, Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 3 goals

Not sure how we were so close at half time, our workrate to run defensively was poor, amazingly Demons outnumbered us in the forward half when they spread

3rd Qtr - Awareness and composure was again poor, panicking around stoppages with one handball then a kick rather than releasing the ball through a series of handballs, again this stems from players not being on the move to get in the clear for the next handball receive. Levi again kicking straight. Who would have thought we would be calling for 2 Jack's, one forward and one on the ball. Setterfield is starting to move more freely, especially sideways, his kicking will start to improve dramatically. Of the 7 goals Demons kicked only 1 was directly from an umpire decision to McDonald when Jones planted his foot in his lower back in a marking contest, but failed to touch the ball, free kick was accurate

4th Qtr - All of a sudden we are a different side. Now 2 or more handballs from congestion to a player on the outer, kicking with more penetration to leading targets, 2 way running, spread and turning around a 38 point deficit to hit the lead. Then when the game is there to be won, needing composure in pressure moments, we cough the ball up. Walsh shoots a ball out by hand back into play that hits no one, while SPS was clean hiting Newman, he too fumbles, SPS again and hits Simmo by hand who stupidly tries to hit a short target inside rather than either releasing to the outside by hand or foot. The rest is history, even though McGovern could have squared the scores with a freak attempt

This game was lost in the first 3 quarters, poor intent and attack on the ball and player, apart from players such as Kruezer, SPS, Jack, Weitering and the best of them in Walsh. Our 2 way running, especially defensively cost us. What was also glaring is how many times we were pushed off the ball, or not able to stick tackles. All this could be attributed to most of our younger players needing another preseason.

Jack was clearly our best, when many around him fumbled or lacked composure, Jack seemed to buck that trend.

Kruezer while not outstanding was vital. SPS worked his way back into the game and guys like Kennedy, Setterfield are building nicely. Levi stays on the list, even as a mere backup for injury next year and get rid of Lobbe and Phillips, target a 23-26 year old ruck/forward. Newman is a good kick, but he is biting off too much in critical periods. Dow either plays as a hard leading forward pocket if he is to remain forward, rather than a high HF. Perhaps needs to spend some time each quarter back on the ball.

As for the umpires, not sure what game many of you were watching, even people stating that Demons kicked 12 goals from there 15. I only counted 1 to McDonald and IMHO it was a correct call.

Last edited:
Re-watched the game

1st Qtr - Our hands, disposal by hand and foot was putrid. Dow in the open kicking to a leading McGovern was poor, ball slingshots to the other end an Demons convert. If he is to remain in the side it can't be as a high HF, a deep leading pocket player would suit better. Walsh's attack on the ball was beyond his years. Levi's kicking has continued to improve.McGovern from 20 metres out, needs to convert from those shots. Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 4 goals

2nd Qtr - Again our decision making and disposal was poor, many times when players were out, we couldn't hit them. Levi's continued to be good by foot, Jack was also clean again and our best player for the half, followed by Weitering how controlled the aerial contests. Again, Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 3 goals

Not sure how we were so close at half time, our workrate to run defensively was poor, amazingly Demons outnumbered us in the forward half when they spread

3rd Qtr - Awareness and composure was again poor, panicking around stoppages with one handball then a kick rather than releasing the ball through a series of handballs, again this stems from players not being on the move to get in the clear for the next handball receive. Levi again kicking straight. Who would have thought we would be calling for 2 Jack's, one forward and one on the ball. Setterfield is starting to move more freely, especially sideways, his kicking will start to improve dramatically. Of the 7 goals Demons kicked only 1 was directly from an umpire decision to McDonald when Jones planted his foot in his lower back in a marking contest, but failed to touch the ball, free kick was accurate

4th Qtr - All of a sudden we are a different side. Now 2 or more handballs from congestion to a player on the outer, kicking with more penetration to leading targets, 2 way running, spread and turning around a 38 point deficit to hit the lead. Then when the game is there to be won, needing composure in pressure moments, we cough the ball up. Walsh shoots a ball out by hand back into play that hits no one, while SPS was clean hiting Newman, he too fumbles, SPS again and hits Simmo by hand who stupidly tries to hit a short target inside rather than either releasing to the outside by hand or foot. The rest is history, even though McGovern could have squared the scores with a freak attempt

This game was lost in the first 3 quarters, poor intent and attack on the ball and player, apart from players such as Kruezer, SPS, Jack, Weitering and the best of them in Walsh. Our 2 way running, especially defensively cost us. What was also glaring is how many times we were pushed off the ball, or not able to stick tackles. All this could be attributed to most of our younger players needing another preseason.

Jack was clearly our best, when many around him fumbled or lacked composure, Jack seemed to buck that trend.

Kruezer while not outstanding was vital. SPS worked his way back into the game and guys like Kennedy, Setterfield are building nicely. Levi stays on the list, even as a mere backup for injury next year and get rid of Lobbe and Phillips, target a 23-26 year old ruck/forward. Newman is a good kick, but he is biting off too much in critical periods. Dow either plays as a hard leading forward pocket if he is to remain forward, rather than a high HF. Perhaps needs to spend some time each quarter back on the ball.

As for the umpires, not sure what game many of you were watching, even people stating that Demons kicked 12 goals from there 15. I only counted 1 to McDonald and IMHO it was a correct call.
Good summary but bit harsh to highlight Dow missing McGovern but not mention him hitting the much harder kick to Gibbons in the last (or slotting the goal in the first - I couldn't believe McGovern missed his shot and then Dow kicked his - it was a strange day).
On Setterfield I really like the way he is building but his dropped chest mark (possibly could ave got the free but take the mark and you don't need it) and his fumble of SPS' handball after JSOS' great contest with Hibberd are the type's of things he needs to get out of his game.

Re-watched the game

I don't have a busy life but why would you watch the game again? Surely got better things to do?

Good on you if you love it that much but always surprises me people rewatch games so much

Good summary but bit harsh to highlight Dow missing McGovern but not mention him hitting the much harder kick to Gibbons in the last (or slotting the goal in the first - I couldn't believe McGovern missed his shot and then Dow kicked his - it was a strange day).
On Setterfield I really like the way he is building but his dropped chest mark (possibly could ave got the free but take the mark and you don't need it) and his fumble of SPS' handball after JSOS' great contest with Hibberd are the type's of things he needs to get out of his game.

Might seem harsh on Dow, but it wasn't a difficult kick from any player being that clear.

I think they either have to play him as a very deep forward pocket with some time on the ball, or back around the contest

I don't have a busy life but why would you watch the game again? Surely got better things to do?

Good on you if you love it that much but always surprises me people rewatch games so much

You miss things first time around as a supporter watching your team play, evident by the posts of many directly after a game, especially this week with the umpire bashing

Back