Dogs to remember the 1989 fightback

I've always felt the credit she got was a bit over the top. My understanding is that a group of well heeled supporters devised a plan to challenge in the courts and they needed a figure to name on the court action. Irene was close by at the time.

Often the media portray her as saving the club single handed. No doubt she put in a lot of effort during the fight back and deserves credit, as do many many many others.

I hadn't noticed people giving her more credit than she is due.
I guess that can happen with some people or the media distorting things but I would not like to see the reverse happening and people belittling the part she actually played in the fightback. Even being a figurehead probably was of significant value to the cause. And as I understand she did risk losing her house if things had gone wrong.
But yes, 'many many others' put in a big effort and all deserve credit.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m conflicted a little, while what the supporters did in 1989 was courageous and showed Bulldog fight and tenacity and has my immense respect and gratitude. I wasn’t there at Whitten Oval, but I donated money to the cause and I was as angry as the next person at the proposal.

I always look at other clubs like Carlton who disdainfully refer to us as tin rattlers, but noted when Carlton was in financial trouble their supporters did nothing to help, certainly not rattling cans for the club.

However every time Gordon speaks, he brings it up. “Who was there? he always asks. For those people who were’t there it’s 30 years now, that clique ness can be alienating. Am I lesser of a supporter because I wasn’t at Whitten Oval that day? Does my three memberships going back to our wooden spoon year, my attendance at interstate games, and constant financial support and loyalty mean nothing, because I wasn’t there?

Because you were not there does not devalue you as a supporter. The fightback rally was a 2 week effort, the day at Whitten Oval was the start and the most visual. As you say you donated to the cause.

Just like if you were unable to get to the "G" on grand final day does not make you any lesser of a supporter all you need to be is a paid up member that regularly goes to games.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hadn't noticed people giving her more credit than she is due.
I guess that can happen with some people or the media distorting things but I would not like to see the reverse happening and people belittling the part she actually played in the fightback. Even being a figurehead probably was of significant value to the cause. And as I understand she did risk losing her house if things had gone wrong.
But yes, 'many many others' put in a big effort and all deserve credit.
i am certainly not belittling her, more having a crack over how its been portrayed.

It certainly was a great time to be a football supporter in melbourne. The number of people from other clubs that spent time and money to help us still staggers me.

Because you were not there does not devalue you as a supporter. The fightback rally was a 2 week effort, the day at Whitten Oval was the start and the most visual. As you say you donated to the cause.

Just like if you were unable to get to the "G" on grand final day does not make you any lesser of a supporter all you need to be is a paid up member that regularly goes to games.

That might be your view OD, and thank you for that, but I don’t feel that from Gordon, and I have spoken to other members who use this as a point of determining whether you are a real supporter or not. Sort of Footscray v Western Bulldogs supporters. Anyway just a small point really.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That might be your view OD, and thank you for that, but I don’t feel that from Gordon, and I have spoken to other members who use this as a point of determining whether you are a real supporter or not. Sort of Footscray v Western Bulldogs supporters. Anyway just a small point really.
I dont feel that way at all. I think there would be an understandable sense of accomplishment and togetherness from those that were there.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is fantastic that they are celebrating the fightback anniversary. Those that were there will feel old knowing that it is 3 decades ago but it is burned into our memories. I’ll never forget that time when we actually lost our club and then snatched it back from the abyss. I have good friends that are old Fitzroy supporters and they tell me everyday that they long for their club back and even though they follow Brisbane it is not the same and doesn’t feel like their club anymore.
That Bulldogs spirit is something to cherish and celebrate.
Woof

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont feel that way at all. I think there would be an understandable sense of accomplishment and togetherness from those that were there.

Everyone supports in their own way, be it vocally, financially or from a distance and a lot of that is defined by time or money constraints.

Where u actually available to help in 89? I did my little bit back then but it doesn’t make me feel anymore of a supporter than anyone that wasn’t there. And let’s be honest I’d bet half the people that day they helped were not even close to the place in anyway.

There were a hell of a lot of fans that just accepted we were gone and didn’t life a finger and I understand thy also. It broke a lot of people’s hearts and some have never returned even after we were saved.

NO ONE should ever challenge someone elses support or love for the club and it’s the main thing is this joint that helps me define who is and isn’t an utter tw@t.

Gotta love this:

1560759096157.png

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m conflicted a little, while what the supporters did in 1989 was courageous and showed Bulldog fight and tenacity and has my immense respect and gratitude. I wasn’t there at Whitten Oval, but I donated money to the cause and I was as angry as the next person at the proposal.

I always look at other clubs like Carlton who disdainfully refer to us as tin rattlers, but noted when Carlton was in financial trouble their supporters did nothing to help, certainly not rattling cans for the club.

However every time Gordon speaks, he brings it up. “Who was there? he always asks. For those people who were’t there it’s 30 years now, that clique ness can be alienating. Am I lesser of a supporter because I wasn’t at Whitten Oval that day? Does my three memberships going back to our wooden spoon year, my attendance at interstate games, and constant financial support and loyalty mean nothing, because I wasn’t there?
Gordon addresses this at the end of the podcast.
Stresses you're no less Western Bulldog if you weren't there that day.

Wonder why you cant buy the stuff online. Maybe they're waiting until after the game
That's what I was wondering in case I don't make it to the game. It's over $40 return by Uber to the Whitten Oval from where I live.

When I was living back in Chicagoland, my brother once ordered some stuff from the Bulldogs shop online and the overseas postage cost more than what he had bought me.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
... His words were we had two ladies to choose from but Irene seemed to represent Footscray....

The other woman decided not to go on with it, can't blame her. Someone, it might have been the other woman, suggested Irene. She agreed and the rest is history. It was in the Social Club. It was the night that the merger became public, the beer was free, the VFL paid for it, probably saw it as a wake.

That's what I was wondering in case I don't make it to the game. It's over $40 return by Uber to the Whitten Oval from where I live.

When I was living back in Chicagoland, my brother once ordered some stuff from the Bulldogs shop online and the overseas postage cost more than what he had bought me.
Let me know if I can get you anything

sprinklersareon

Draftee
Jun 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t remember the long sleeves having the hoops, I remember them just being all blue
The 1997 onwards 'Western Bulldogs' long sleeve jumper had plain blue sleeves. Prior to this, the long sleeved 'Footscray Bulldogs' guernsey had the red and white bands.

The white 'borders' on the Fightback guernsey are too thin when compared to the original IMO. Probably won't bother most but it doesn't look quite right to me...

Are you picking him up Fossie 32 :) Pity you dont still have your old Ford Falcon with the original UP YOURS OAKLEY sticker on the bumper bar to pick him up :)
Perhaps I can find the old "Dump Collinson" handmade sticker I had on my food bag back during the Football Club/Social Club war back in 1977(I had to look it up it was so long ago.), my first year as a member. I don't know how the heck I took a side and can't even remember what it was all about. Good times.

Back