Review Round 16 vs Adelaide - The Showdown Win!

Remove this Banner Ad

I gave it a like for geni-Talia. Was a better climax than I expected.
Speaking of Jenny Talia, while waiting to enter AO from the Southern Plaza on Saturday they were showing the MAC ad with Jacobs about the risks of being distracted while driving. I wonder if Jenny and his cat have ever seen it.

On this board I reckon 99% would be stiff after a gf win

(Lots of children born June the next year
named Robbie, Xavier, Charlie....)
Are you saying that the proportion of males with erectile disfunction in the general population is as low as 1% ?

Enjoying a showdown win is multi-faceted. First this week there was the review of the game. reliving the moments without the stress of the unknown. Then before coming onto this board I casually peruse the opposition board's game-day and review thread. I usually refrain from posting and view with curiosity the general mood of the opposing team. I then come back to this board to share in the revelry of a win. This is generally standard practice for all wins and usually only takes about 20 minutes s I just read a couple of posts and move on.

This review has taken me almost all day. They are bitter over there. The realization (by some, not all) that they may not be as good as they thought they were. Stooping to name calling dredging up our past low-lights to make themselves feel better. I hope we don't get that crazy. It's like a person who panics and just needs a slap to be calmed down. If I ever sound like some of them on that board, somebody slap me. Or at least ban me for a few weeks until I come to my senses. But the melt over there is hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Clurey and R Gray in the team of the week? Burton, Lycett, Westhoff, Ebert all stiff.
Campbell Brown had Rory O'Brian in his team of the week over Lycett. What a muppet.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the replay and I remembered cringing and shouting at the tele at Dwayne Russell's rambling diatribe at the 22:50 mark of Q4, so I wrote it down:

"You got to take 'em any way you can get them in this state. All of the momentum, winning 8 of the last 10 Showdowns. Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."

For God's sake, I don't even understand his point. Is this how we are perceived now, the poor little suburban club that occasionally dares to ruffle the hair of the big boys? I long for the day when the promises that were made when we entered into the AFL are realized. The promise of a ruthless, determined, single minded drive to win. I hope this is the start.
Thanks Dwayne, really helpful you idiot

Enjoying a showdown win is multi-faceted. First this week there was the review of the game. reliving the moments without the stress of the unknown. Then before coming onto this board I casually peruse the opposition board's game-day and review thread. I usually refrain from posting and view with curiosity the general mood of the opposing team. I then come back to this board to share in the revelry of a win. This is generally standard practice for all wins and usually only takes about 20 minutes s I just read a couple of posts and move on.

This review has taken me almost all day. They are bitter over there. The realization (by some, not all) that they may not be as good as they thought they were. Stooping to name calling dredging up our past low-lights to make themselves feel better. I hope we don't get that crazy. It's like a person who panics and just needs a slap to be calmed down. If I ever sound like some of them on that board, somebody slap me. Or at least ban me for a few weeks until I come to my senses. But the melt over there is hilarious.
Just keep making wine from their tears...

Just finished watching the replay and I remembered cringing and shouting at the tele at Dwayne Russell's rambling diatribe at the 22:50 mark of Q4, so I wrote it down:

"You got to take 'em any way you can get them in this state. All of the momentum, winning 8 of the last 10 Showdowns. Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."

For God's sake, I don't even understand his point. Is this how we are perceived now, the poor little suburban club that occasionally dares to ruffle the hair of the big boys? I long for the day when the promises that were made when we entered into the AFL are realized. The promise of a ruthless, determined, single minded drive to win. I hope this is the start.
Reading it a second time, I actually liked it. If he were more emphatic over our dominance in the game and our flag chances, I would have loved it. He raised the Crolls, then pulled out the ladder from under them...

We kicked 12 of the last 13 goals !!
That has happened in 86'42" of football. In this time frame we scored 12.10:82 against 1.6:12.

In the previous 35'59", the score was 4.8:32 to 3.1:19 for them.
----
P.S.:
The match had three parts - a very short, a short, and a long:

Q1) It started equal - Port 2.0:12; WL 1.1:8
Q1/Q2) WL had advantage - Port 1.1:8; WL 3.7:25
Q2-Q4) Port took control - Port 12.10:82; WL 1.6:12

Actually, the match had 4 unequal parts:

1) Even Start (Q1)
Port 2.0:12 - WL 1.1:8
2) Early Crows Superiority (Q1/Q2)
Port 1.1:8 - WL 3.7:25
3) Back to Even (Q2/Q3)
Port 3.1:19 WL 1.4:10
4) Port Massacre (Q3/Q4)
Port 9.9:63 - WL 0.2:2 (Q3/Q4)

Last edited:

Yeah I had a look too, it was interesting. Some think the crows simply kicked bad early, nothing more, others are more astute and see the crows are in more trouble than the early settlers. Neil pyke. We really put them to the sword, this should signal a new era of dominance. I can't see em beating us for a long time, lycett is the alpha dog in town. We finally ripped their vaunted zone to pieces, we tried it in other showdowns but we kept stuffing up possessions then blind kicking it to a wall of crows. I thought the players were really brave to keep running it through the middle in waves, it was like ports blitzkrieg against the crows maginot line.

It was good to see our players getting stuck into the Crows on Saturday. I felt that was one part of our game that let us down in past showdowns. The Crows were better at getting into our faces.

Lycett was particularly good. After he kicked that ripper goal in the third, he started to celebrate then saw Matt Crouch nearby. Ran straight towards him, and shoved him hard in back. Matt had this stunned look on his face, and didn't even bother to remonstrate. Loved it.

Last edited:
.... I thought the players were really brave to keep running it through the middle in waves, it was like ports blitzkrieg against the crows maginot line.
One of the most pleasing things from Saturday night was that in the second half we didn't do a Sichelschnitt and go around the Camry Crows' Maginot Line via the low countries, we just burst straight through it.

There was a period in the last quarter where the Camry Crows were hemmed in against the Channel and just couldn't break out as our players tackled and smothered them into submission. And instead of coming to their rescue the 19th man was running away in droves.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back