2019 Trade thread

I like Jamie Elliott although with him and Linc McCarthy they play very similar roles.

I think Darcy Parish is still OOC this year so he'd be the one I'd be after, don't see him moving though.

Others OOC and worth a nibble- Mason Redman, Nakia Cockatoo, Jack Martin, Oskar Baker, Mabior Chol, Liam Baker, Darcy Cameron, Bailey Dale, Lukas Webb.

Baker I wouldn't mind. Cockatoo I would be highly interested in IF we had faith we could get that body right. Martin would be a big yes for me but there's reputedly a lot of other suitors.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I wouldn't be keen on losing Connor Ballenden, he is an elite around the ground kick for a big man and seems pretty reliable with his set shots as well, can play back forward and ruck.

The knock I have on him is that he seems a tad timid in the contest, marking/crashing packs, not quite as bad as Schache in that area of the game though.

I read there is rumour we're losing a key forward to a Vic club.

This keeps popping up on here but I'm believing it less and less. The one to lose at this point would be McStay but I'm in the 'he'll re-sign soon' park.

I wouldn't be keen on losing Connor Ballenden, he is an elite around the ground kick for a big man and seems pretty reliable with his set shots as well, can play back forward and ruck.

The knock I have on him is that he seems a tad timid in the contest, marking/crashing packs, not quite as bad as Schache in that area of the game though.

I guess Schache re-signed and was traded a few months later but that was extenuating circumstances. Why would Ballenden re-sign and then request a trade a few months later?

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.

The quicker we get to 13 wins the quicker Fagan & his team can look at giving guys like him a run. I'd love to see us "manage" a few players & get a look at some of the kids the Lions have been developing over the last 2 1/2 years.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The quicker we get to 13 wins the quicker Fagan & his team can look at giving guys like him a run. I'd love to see us "manage" a few players & get a look at some of the kids the Lions have been developing over the last 2 1/2 years.
Yer would be good but I don't think it will happen as purely a rest situation particularly when you have a bye the week before finals.

If there is a touch and go injury though I'm sure they'll err on the side of caution.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe bitten twice shy but Jack Stevens would be one to look with a very thorough background check before. If it really is mental health then getting out of the limelight and also the sun would help. I would also like to look at Zac Jones and think that both would add to our side. As a draft person I would have no issues using our first couple to acquire via trade as it says more about this draft than anything. Have watched Darcy Parish closely and he has impressed but dealing with Dodoro you might as well give your first born as well.

I just can't fathom this thinking at all tbh. Of we won the next 3 and got to 13 I can't imagine we'd be tempting fate and saying job done. We'd be pushing for top 4 as hard as we could. I'd rather is push for more wins than is just playing a kid so they get a run.

Now of it's a legitimate injury or issue sure but otherwise no. You only need to look at melb this year to know there's no guarantee, and given its been over a decade since we play finals, when you get a chance to play finals you ring the neck out of it as hard as you can.

If we lose a young guy or two because of that so be it, happens to most teams who are up there.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ha, I had the same thought today, but didn't think to include Allen as well.

I was thinking the Gold Coast pick for Jarrod Cameron. When you look at the small and medium forwards in this years draft, Cameron is worth the Gold Coast pick.

But what do we need Jarrod for? We already have a squeeze on small forward. Midfield depth and wingers are our pressing needs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like Jamie Elliott although with him and Linc McCarthy they play very similar roles.

I think Darcy Parish is still OOC this year so he'd be the one I'd be after, don't see him moving though.

Others OOC and worth a nibble- Mason Redman, Nakia Cockatoo, Jack Martin, Oskar Baker, Mabior Chol, Liam Baker, Darcy Cameron, Bailey Dale, Lukas Webb.

Not sold on Parish, and not overwhelmed by the others either. Bradley Hill absolutely if we could prise him out of Freo. A grade talent now or off to the draft we go.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
But what do we need Jarrod for? We already have a squeeze on small forward. Midfield depth and wingers are our pressing needs.

Where’s the squeeze on at small forward? We’ve taken to converting midfielders in to small forwards.

Keays, Christensen and Taylor. None of them are natural small forwards.

In the reserves we’ve moved Cedric Cox and Keidean Coleman up there to try out.

If Charlie or McCarthy go down, we don’t have a genuine small to replace them.

Anyway I was just commenting to another poster that I had the same thoughts as him.

I know we need mids, wingers and back flankers.

But until an actual believable rumour comes to light, all we can do is spitball and throw up names.

As yet, apart from Parish, I haven’t heard anyone else suggest a player I like.

And we were discussing draft picks and the draft as well across multiple threads.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not sold on Parish, and not overwhelmed by the others either. Bradley Hill absolutely if we could prise him out of Freo. A grade talent now or off to the draft we go.

As I’ve mentioned in the draft thread, it’s not looking like a good or deep draft this year, and I’m really not liking most of the kids projected around our first few picks.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Yer would be good but I don't think it will happen as purely a rest situation particularly when you have a bye the week before finals.

If there is a touch and go injury though I'm sure they'll err on the side of caution.

I just can't fathom this thinking at all tbh. Of we won the next 3 and got to 13 I can't imagine we'd be tempting fate and saying job done. We'd be pushing for top 4 as hard as we could. I'd rather is push for more wins than is just playing a kid so they get a run.

Now of it's a legitimate injury or issue sure but otherwise no. You only need to look at melb this year to know there's no guarantee, and given its been over a decade since we play finals, when you get a chance to play finals you ring the neck out of it as hard as you can.

If we lose a young guy or two because of that so be it, happens to most teams who are up there.

Far from tempting fate & saying job done, 13 wins asap gives the Coach an opportunity. He can find out if it's possible to further strengthen the side. Even a chance to play Harris Andrews a full game as a forward or Mith Robinson more time in defence 😉

I'm of the opinion Fagan will give a couple of young guys a (or another) go as soon as he's bagged 13 wins. We'll have to wait & see.

As I’ve mentioned in the draft thread, it’s not looking like a good or deep draft this year, and I’m really not liking most of the kids projected around our first few picks.

Geez it's not a particularly good sign for next year's if thats the case given not a single under age player made AA

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon that's rolled out 4 out of every 5 drafts.
Every draft is both a super draft and a spud draft at various stages during the leadup to it.
As someone who is a keen observer of the draft I wait until I watch a number of games before identifying players of interest. This years games skill wise were a concern and yes, there are going to be some good players come out of this draft but the difference is that were not any players who stood out and set themselves apart. I haven’t heard any notion of it being either a super draft or spud draft in draft threads however have had these conversations with briztoon. The only person who to be careful to listen to is Sheahan, every player is a star!
Geez it's not a particularly good sign for next year's if thats the case given not a single under age player made AA
Agree, this is a concern with next years crop and even though it shouldn’t be pegged yet you do like to see a couple of underage players stand out however there weren’t many if at all to be noted.

Edit: therefore the use of our top order picks this year to trade I am very open to.

Schrödinger's Draft

I was initially against the idea of drafting boxes in which a draftee was either dead or alive, thinking it just another TV gimmick... but the thought of Carlton trading for GWS's unopened box after two years turned me around on it.

I was initially against the idea of drafting boxes in which a draftee was either dead or alive, thinking it just another TV gimmick... but the thought of Carlton trading for GWS's unopened box after two years turned me around on it.
Thre Draft is like a box of chocolates.... well you know the rest.

Back