Toast Kern Mother ******* Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlucky

2015 AFL season, would've made finals but for the Walsh Showdown. Most years record would make finals.
We were 6-9 and the season was gone when we started playing better. We beat the Hawks and Fremantle Peel Thunder who put the cue in the rack in Rd's 21 and 23 as they were playing finals. Too little too late.

2016 AFL season, Ryder and Monfries out for year, Lobbe out for bulk of year.
We were incompetent not to plan for the worst case scenario re Ryder (and Monfries) and knew Lobbe apart from 2014 always picked up a 4-8 week injury.

Lobbe was hopeless for 5 weeks before being dropped to the B's and then picked up a PCL injury. It was all the other injuries that ended up costing us. White played 20 minutes of game one for the season, Schulz did his back in Rd 2 and was out for a dozen weeks and then struggled to play 4 or 5 more games at the end of the year, Carlile broke his wrist in Rd 2 and then 8 to 10 weeks later came back via SANFL and did his PCL, Jonas brain fade 6 week suspension and then picks up a hamstring injury whilst on suspension, Hombsch missed 12 games with a hammy then quad then hip surgery. Howard does an ACL in Perth mid season. O'Shea ends up doing a hip injury. Jacko forced to ruck and we play our SANFL defence in the 2nd half of the year.

2017 AFL season, reached Finals and would've progressed but for poor kicking and a ducking free.
Incompetent finals selection policy to play Impey on McGovern instead of Trengove and gave McGovern full run of the back lines. Expect 3 gamer Marshall to help Dixon beat McGovern, Barass and McKenzie.

2018 AFL season, derailed by consecutive close losses against premier and Crows either of which could've gone the other way through umpire interpretation. Cleaned out Wingard and Polec. Record would usually make finals.
More incompetent selections and dumb game plan of bomb it to Charlie saw us lose games we should never have lost. Yes bad luck with Ryder, Houston and Dixon getting injured all in 3rd quarter against WCE, but s**t drafting and development not to have a proper 2nd KPF in the squad to cover bad luck situations.

The thing about luck is that it will eventually go your way.
I don't have 20 years to wait for luck to show up. We need to take luck out of the equation.

Unlucky
  • 2013 AFL season, took a shambles of a club to the Semi Finals.
  • 2014 AFL season, took the club to within a kick of a Grand Final.
  • 2015 AFL season, would've made finals but for the Walsh Showdown. Most years record would make finals.
  • 2016 AFL season, Ryder and Monfries out for year, Lobbe out for bulk of year.
  • 2017 AFL season, reached Finals and would've progressed but for poor kicking and a ducking free.
  • 2018 AFL season, derailed by consecutive close losses against premier and Crows either of which could've gone the other way through umpire interpretation. Cleaned out Wingard and Polec. Record would usually make finals.
  • The thing about luck is that it will eventually go your way.
During this time
  • Lost assistant coaches.
  • Maintained a percentage above 100% every season.
  • Rebuilt a list.
  • Attracted talent like never before in the clubs history.
This year
  • Wins against Geelong, Adelaide and West Coast with one of the youngest lists in the league.
What happens if he leaves?
  • He takes players with him.
What we should be doing?
  • Putting pressure on David Koch for damaging our clubs brand.

Neat way to present a tidy bias.

I’m sorry REH but everytime I see someone complaining that we “didn’t plan for Ryder’s suspension” I die a bit inside.

There was literally nothing we can have done in that off-season. Nothing.

We should have drafted better years before, and had someone better than Redden or Harvey running around sure, but you keep perpetuating this myth that we could have plucked an AFL standard ruck from the ether. That’s simply false. Why on earth would the club have refused, unless we were planning on being able to take the ex GWS guy who ended up at Essendon thanks to the AFL refusing to allow us a top up player.

I do think we have been massively unlucky over the Hinkley years, but that doesn’t mean we were good enough if we hadn’t been unlucky.

Last year I think we were genuinely a good side, as well as 2015. 16 and 17 were not good years.

I do think we have been massively unlucky over the Hinkley years, but that doesn’t mean we were good enough if we hadn’t been unlucky.

Last year I think we were genuinely a good side, as well as 2015. 16 and 17 were not good years.

Good sides don't miss finals after being 11-4, end of story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon’s 2012 was pretty spectacular. They went 8-1 and then 3-10 (finished 11th).
Closest thing I remember is North Melb in 2016 went 9-0 (or 10-1) and finished 8th on percentage. Then lost by 10 goals in the Elim final.

Even average sides hadn't.

In true PA fashion, last year's collapse was the greatest of all time, it hadn't happened before

Its happened before

I’m sorry REH but everytime I see someone complaining that we “didn’t plan for Ryder’s suspension” I die a bit inside.

We should have drafted better years before, and had someone better than Redden or Harvey running around sure, but you keep perpetuating this myth that we could have plucked an AFL standard ruck from the ether. That’s simply false. Why on earth would the club have refused, unless we were planning on being able to take the ex GWS guy who ended up at Essendon thanks to the AFL refusing to allow us a top up player.

Not to mention that at that point we still had Lobbe on the list who just one year earlier had single-handedly carried our ruck division as the #1 ruck. The club couldn't have seen his dumpster fire of a 2016 coming.

Not to mention that at that point we still had Lobbe on the list who just one year earlier had single-handedly carried our ruck division as the #1 ruck. The club couldn't have seen his dumpster fire of a 2016 coming.
Yeah they could, or at least not absolutely relied on him keeping form. We even talked about it in the ruck strategy thread that just got bumped.

Yeah they could, or at least not absolutely relied on him keeping form. We even talked about it in the ruck strategy thread that just got bumped.

Eh. I still maintain Trengove did a better job for us that year than any state league/fringe player depth ruck would have done.

Eh. I still maintain Trengove did a better job for us that year than any state league/fringe player depth ruck would have done.
Sure, but in a year of no finals its a bit of a moot point. I’m just sayin it was pretty clear Lobbe had peaked, we shouldn’t have expected clear skies for him from then on, and that its not just something visible in hindsight but at the time.

Sure, but in a year of no finals its a bit of a moot point. I’m just sayin it was pretty clear Lobbe had peaked, we shouldn’t have expected clear skies for him from then on, and that its not just something visible in hindsight but at the time.

2015 proved that Lobbe was ineffective when not playing as #1 ruck. But in 2016 we were looking at playing him as the #1 ruck again, and the most recent evidence at the time was 2014 in which he did play well in that role.

When we lost Ryder, it wasn't an unreasonable opinion that Lobbe as the #1 ruck would be able to come out and play like 2014 again. Obviously it didn't turn out that way, but it wasn't an unreasonable opinion at the time. And I say that as somebody who was one of the strongest proponents for trading Lobbe in the 2015 offseason.

There is plenty we could have done. Only the non thinking give up.

In October 2015 we sit down and ask what if Ryder gets 2 years - ASADA had already appealed to CAS? What if Lobbe also picks up an injury like he has in the past for every year apart from 2014? What is our insurance policy/policies??

We then should have taken out an insurance policy, you know like WCE did when they offered a 300+ game Petrie a rookie contract at the end of 2016 after Nick Nat did his knee in the last game in 2016 and was going to miss all of 2017.

They already had Lycett, Jonathon Giles and young forward/ruck Fraser McInnes. So not only did they get insurance in Petrie they double insured and got Nathan Vardy for the main list. Who were their ruckmen come finals 2017?? Lycett and Giles? No it was Vardy and Petrie. Lycett got injured in 2017 and only played 1 game - he had a history of injuries. Did they use their CHB Jeremy McGovern to ruck for 16-18 games?

So either by a trade, or by the national draft, or by the preseason draft, or by the rookie draft, we could have picked up an insurance ruckman to be an insurance ruckman just like a Petrie, who was on a 1 year deal. Sure he would have got paid more than a standard rookie, but he got a 1 year deal. They cut him at the end of 2017.

So we lacked the intellectual horse power to do what if scenarios. That's why we weren't going to win in 2016 without Ryder. You don't need to make a $6mil a year profit like WCE, to think and be smart rather than just hope for the best.

But no we didn't think, we didn't plan. We stupidly said it wont happen and if it does, the AFL are good blokes and will help us out, despite drafting Ryder knowing the cloud over his head.

I agree with Schulzy. Trengove did as well as any backup ruckman we might have had would have done. He was the match winner on a few occasions and held his own in most other games.

Combine it with the ruck drought across the junior system, I wouldnt have changed a thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back