List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone "mid-aged" leaving.
So age 23-27, non-WA, best 22.

Nup. No idea.
Nelson, Redden, Cole, Gaff, Vardy would be the possibilities. Not really convinced any of those would want out though. Redden would make the most sense if Kelly is coming in. Cole and Nelson are a bit unlucky with the number of games they are getting.

We can all move on from Tim Kelly. He is not coming to West Coast. Hes buying a house in Geelong soon or after the season. :)

Lets talk about Stephen Coniglio.

We can all move on from Tim Kelly. He is not coming to West Coast. Hes buying a house in Geelong soon or after the season. :)

Lets talk about Stephen Coniglio.

Heard he was buying a house in baldivis close to anytime fitness

...I’ll add it to the list.

Shame, I was really hoping to pair Kelly with Patrick Cripps who, of course, returned home last season. Kelly and Cripps feeding it to guaranteed draft pick Ian Hill and Jarrod “The Next Wayne Carey” Brander would have been class.

I've come to the belief that players should always be free agents when they're out of contract after their first 6 years or at ages 24+

Even if Kelly doesn't get to us this season. It's silly that a player in at his age and place in the game can't choose where he plays. Get drafted late to a team and serve your rookie deal, then choose where you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've come to the belief that players should always be free agents when they're out of contract after their first 6 years or at ages 24+

Even if Kelly doesn't get to us this season. It's silly that a player in at his age and place in the game can't choose where he plays. Get drafted late to a team and serve your rookie deal, then choose where you go.
Would you have said the same thing about Judd?

I'm of completley opposite thinking. I think players should go wherever they're traded to. They get paid well enough to do so.

I'm of completley opposite thinking. I think players should go wherever they're traded to. They get paid well enough to do so.

I'm of the belief that they should remove drafting & trading and allow clubs to sign whoever they want. The salary cap keeps the competition relatively even. GC are proof that the drafting & trading regime doesn't work if the club can't offer its players a reason to stay.

It would also provide clubs with a lot of incentive to develop young local talent.

Or both. Can’t really have one without the other as it gives too much power to either side. Perhaps a similar rule for trades, anyone above 23 or 24 has the right to be a free agent at the end of their contract but can also be traded at any point in their contract without consent (would save 19/20 year olds being thrown around the country as they try to get their lives together). Then open up the trade period similar to NBAs offseason where trades are able to be “agreed” before being made official at the beginning of the period, so that the players that are traded unwillingly have time to get their bearings about a potential move. Possibly move the official period back to November with the draft to open up some time.

Listening to Gaff on the podcast he mentions he has plenty of time to decide if he goes back to Melbourne or stay in Perth. Sounds like he signed a long term contract to me! Also mentions playing a lot of games at the one club would mean a lot to him.
I think he's gone this off season, Simmo made the mistake of inviting Blaine to his last get together. Also heard he made the fairy bread with wholemeal instead of white. Can't really blame Gaff.

This is pretty close to what happens now. There's very few levers clubs have available to retain players.

I think players should go wherever they're traded to. They get paid well enough to do so.
That's the thing. The AFL's player movement rules are like a 1980s North American pro-league, whereas the player association wants them to have 2010s facilities at their disposal.

The league doesn't have the management nous, or want to fix this up; they're still playing VFL nearly 30 years after the fact.

This is pretty close to what happens now. There's very few levers clubs have available to retain players.

That's the thing. The AFL's player movement rules are like a 1980s North American pro-league, whereas the player association wants them to have 2010s facilities at their disposal.

The league doesn't have the management nous, or want to fix this up; they're still playing VFL nearly 30 years after the fact.

AFL player movement is a bit of a laugh really.

The PA want all the good things that other sports have but none of the drawbacks. No club initiated trades, no public salaries, no max contract lengths/values, no earning criteria for contracts etc.

I'm fine with free agency, players really shouldn't be bound by clubs when out of contract. But in a system where players are drafted at 18 and developed at AFL level losing them at 24 for nothing is a bit of a kick in the nuts to the clubs. But hey the clubs are the ones that draft kids and not 20, 21, 22 year olds.

What the AFL should introduce is contracts being traded. None of this 'I signed for 5 years at $500k and now I can get $800k so I want out' nonsense. You want to move clubs, that club trades for the balance of your contract and when that is up you revert to being an uncontracted player/FA. They should also introduce max criteria. McGovern (26, 3 x AA) and Gaff (26, 2 x AA, B&F) should be eligible for 6 year, $6m deals - for example. To leave as FAs they should be eligible for something lesser, say 5 years x $900k. Tom Boyd (19, 9 games) should not be eligible for a 6 year, $6m deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back