Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not fussed about losing Tasmania tbh. Always annoying forking out $$$ for a reserved seat only to sit in it 6 times a year. Games in Tassie have always been s**t to watch as well

Realistically we should be able to land a huge sponsor to make up for losing the government as a sponsor. One of biggest clubs in Australia, strong team, strong personalities, etc..

vomit
seriously vomit
international flights
non football market
way more expensive to go see them play
something st kilda already tried

Lol... sorry to offend you.

For 3 games a year to expose 4 AFL brands to a place that is closer to the eastern states than West coast travel & in return advertise NZ tourism & products; there is a very large market that the AFL, NZ & state governments should be interested in for a 3 year deal.
If at the end of the 3 years there wasn’t 10,000 people regularly attending, based on a Aurora stadium attendance, & there wasn’t any real interest in NZ membership for Hawthorn, Brisbane, Gold Coast or the Giants then you could easily pull out.
What is the difference to a GC start up club trying to get members in a non afl state?
What is the average attendance to a Nsw or Qld team that is not Sydney Swans?
I think that the cost to explore the market seriously is far less of a risk with AFL & NZ money than the money generated from a successful venture.

Hawthorn can cash in on this & play more games at the MCG as an advantage in the process for premierships.
How is that not a win win situation on a 3 year projection while chasing more premierships in our future window that has been estimated for the last 2-3 years to start 2019-20 & beyond? 6CC87D40-7E77-4F63-8122-9876176E0CE4.jpeg EAB47F85-0DA5-4801-8993-CD1D53E54AD0.jpeg B18A8FA2-6E74-4025-9430-8EAC77160E8D.jpeg EA17FB98-21DC-4F06-8267-57E1C61FD265.jpeg

Lol... sorry to offend you.

For 3 games a year to expose 4 AFL brands to a place that is closer to the eastern states than West coast travel & in return advertise NZ tourism & products; there is a very large market that the AFL, NZ & state governments should be interested in for a 3 year deal.
If at the end of the 3 years there wasn’t 10,000 people regularly attending, based on a Aurora stadium attendance, & there wasn’t any real interest in NZ membership for Hawthorn, Brisbane, Gold Coast or the Giants then you could easily pull out.
What is the difference to a GC start up club trying to get members in a non afl state?
What is the average attendance to a Nsw or Qld team that is not Sydney Swans?
I think that the cost to explore the market seriously is far less of a risk with AFL & NZ money than the money generated from a successful venture.

Hawthorn can cash in on this & play more games at the MCG as an advantage in the process for premierships.
How is that not a win win situation on a 3 year projection while chasing more premierships in our future window that has been estimated for the last 2-3 years to start 2019-20 & beyond?View attachment 644551View attachment 644552View attachment 644553View attachment 644554
I'm not offended but lets replace Tassie with Auckland is about as dumb as it gets.

I know what the flights are like I was in Auckland last month and I'm going to be in Wellington next month.

Don't forget to international check in lead times, going through customs at both ends and the fact that Auckland is comparable to Sydney for costs, go look up hotel prices.

You're talking about making 3 home games less accessible to actual fans and members, not more. You're talking about increasing travel times for the players, making the disruption worse and doing to for access to a market that doesn't care about footy.

One thing Waverley and Dingley have in common is that neither are served well by public transport.
Pretty irrelevant for the main stakeholders, being the players, coaches and admin staff. None of them are going to be catching buses or trains to work.

It may be an infrequent issue for the odd supporter who wants to attend training. Once Dingley is built, i'm sure the bus network will expand.

I'm not offended but lets replace Tassie with Auckland is about as dumb as it gets.

I know what the flights are like I was in Auckland last month and I'm going to be in Wellington next month.

Don't forget to international check in lead times, going through customs at both ends and the fact that Auckland is comparable to Sydney for costs, go look up hotel prices.

You're talking about making 3 home games less accessible to actual fans and members, not more. You're talking about increasing travel times for the players, making the disruption worse and doing to for access to a market that doesn't care about footy.

Ok Gralin....

So 9 games over 3 seasons in Auckland isn’t worth it to crack an international market for 4 clubs & expand football in the northern states with regular appearances & Hawthorn assistance to also increase a membership base for Hawthorn & the other AFL clubs.

Your view seems very Melbourne “bubble” supporter driven & rather selfish to be honest.
Plenty of teams have outside of Melbourne games as a part of their fixture & in a somewhat saturated market in the “people who care” areas why flog a dead horse or stuff that pig that’s already full.
I go to games in Sydney all the time to watch the Hawks, Swans & Giants even when Hawthorn aren’t playing; as well as traveling to Qld quite a lot to visit family where we also go to the footy if given the chance.

I was going to games in Tassie when Fitzroy were regulars at North Hobart oval & have seen plenty of Tasmanian growth & the stories behind the Hawks in Tasmania relationship.
If it’s time to go then why not pioneer again?
You say people care... in tassie nobody gave a stuff about the Devils in the VFL & I can just about guarantee an afl club in Tasmania full time will be a white elephant & be a similar failure as GC as a full time club propped up under the AFL wing.

And you actually referenced the Saints... I thought you more one eyed than that but I fear that that eye is fixed firmly on yourself seeing another 3 games rather than the thousands that don’t get to see enough of their teams around the country as is is.

Pretty irrelevant for the main stakeholders, being the players, coaches and admin staff. None of them are going to be catching buses or trains to work.

It may be an infrequent issue for the odd supporter who wants to attend training. Once Dingley is built, i'm sure the bus network will expand.
I was more referring to the fact that someone else in the thread was suggesting building a boutique stadium at Dingley

Ok Gralin....

So 9 games over 3 seasons in Auckland isn’t worth it to crack an international market for 4 clubs & expand football in the northern states with regular appearances & Hawthorn assistance to also increase a membership base for Hawthorn & the other AFL clubs.

Your view seems very Melbourne “bubble” supporter driven & rather selfish to be honest.
Plenty of teams have outside of Melbourne games as a part of their fixture & in a somewhat saturated market in the “people who care” areas why flog a dead horse or stuff that pig that’s already full.
I go to games in Sydney all the time to watch the Hawks, Swans & Giants even when Hawthorn aren’t playing; as well as traveling to Qld quite a lot to visit family where we also go to the footy if given the chance.

I was going to games in Tassie when Fitzroy were regulars at North Hobart oval & have seen plenty of Tasmanian growth & the stories behind the Hawks in Tasmania relationship.
If it’s time to go then why not pioneer again?
You say people care... in tassie nobody gave a stuff about the Devils in the VFL & I can just about guarantee an afl club in Tasmania full time will be a white elephant & be a similar failure as GC as a full time club propped up under the AFL wing.

And you actually referenced the Saints... I thought you more one eyed than that but I fear that that eye is fixed firmly on yourself seeing another 3 games rather than the thousands that don’t get to see enough of their teams around the country as is is.
Why do you keep talking about the benefit for four clubs and the AFL?
How is that a selling point to Hawks supporters for why we should want the club to sell home games to another country?

Your Saints comment also makes no sense to me. I referenced the Saints because they already tried selling games to Auckland and we all saw how well that worked out.

A stadium at Dingley is very short-sighted.

At best, we’d build it for 40,000. Less than half our membership base.

We want to be dragging 50,000+ to games in the future & in 10 years, maybe 60,000+; not locking 10,000 - 20,000 members out...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an interesting theory that less is more

If you knew that there was only one Collingwood v Carlton match every year then does it get a bigger crowd, more corporate sales and high ratings than either of the two Collingwood v Carlton matches that often happen (repeat for Hawks v Cats / showdown etc and every rivalry out there)

So if you have 190 rather than 198 games (not much difference) but less of the rivalry matches does that make them bigger?
No.
Was Easter Monday bigger the year we only played the Cats once? No. More is more when it comes to TV rights.

I was more referring to the fact that someone else in the thread was suggesting building a boutique stadium at Dingley
A stadium at Dingley is nothing more than a pipedream for wishful supporters in any case. We invested a lot of time to investigate the training facilities of successful, large clubs overseas and are now attempting a similar facility for our club. Personally, I didn't think we'd do anything as grandiose as the European soccer clubs but I was more than surprised to find we were seriously attempting a similar setup. Dream big. Make the dream happen. That's what we do.

For some time now the economics show our net sponsorship income, improved stadium rights (AFL owning Marvel) and increased membership revenue (in particular Vic based members) the club would be better off financially to play all our games in Melbourne. Whenever the Tassie deal is up for negotiation the figures are crunched - play in Tassie vs return to Melbourne, the math says play in Melbourne.
However, Kennett in particular has romanced the Tassie relationship like no other, having a state as your major sponsor is unique in our game. He preaches regularly about the Hawks not standing still, we make things happen, we do things differently. Tassie offers all of these pillars like few other sponsorship relations can.
No way will the Hawks simply roll over and have the AFL tickle our tummy with niceties around what a good job we’ve done delivering AFL to the Tassie footy community for 20 years. Kennett will want a nice big juicy exit fee cheque from the AFL by way of compensation.
Who knows, that may be partially an amount to get the Kennedy Centre over the line .
Kennett, love him or hate him he is a master negotiator and will deliver.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nailed it. From a business perspective Tasmania protected us from a poor deal at Etihad. Certainly we have done well from it and I expect we will be compensated for being forced out of an arrangement where we have sewn seeds in membership. Naturally we will loose members to an indigenous Tasmanian team and as long as that is accounted for financially then we are well poised to secure our future in Melbourne.

No need to sell games. 11 home games in Melbourne please.

Didn’t Kennett already refuse a pay out unilaterally?

Anyway why stress about making so much profit when it’s just handed out to other clubs? Rack em up I say

Let’s focus on the words club and members and truly look after them not maximise them for profit.

Do the first. And the second takes care of itself

Last edited:
I'm expecting a very low crowd game for the game against Fremantle,if Tasmania doesn't get its own team in the future and we stay with Hawks and north in Tasmania, it's going to look pretty bad for tasmania when the crowds continue to decline.

I'm expecting a very low crowd game for the game against Fremantle,if Tasmania doesn't get its own team in the future and we stay with Hawks and north in Tasmania, it's going to look pretty bad for tasmania when the crowds continue to decline.
Tassie will get their own team

Hawks will be out in 2022

they'll put a 3rd team in perth/adelaide or Queensland.
How can you be certain Tasmania will get a team,I think if we don't get a team,it's no use keeping Hawks and North here with the crowds continuing to decline,how will look when we are getting lots of crowds under 10000 in the future.

they'll put a 3rd team in perth/adelaide or Queensland.

Yeah that does sound like AFL logic. Instead of taking a team from a market where no sporting team has ever flourished and put it into a captive market that would embrace it 100% - persist with the struggling franchise that is a money succubus and then put a team in Cairns as well.

I kind of feel like a tassy team would have the exact same struggles as gold coast, where no players actually want to live in Tasmania(for the most part) which severely limits their options and pretty much stamps out any hope of premiership success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back