Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone do much gymnastics ring work? They're damn difficult but good fun, cheap and can be set up anywhere really.

Anyone do much gymnastics ring work? They're damn difficult but good fun, cheap and can be set up anywhere really.
GF has a TRX which is a similar thing.

chest flys
inverted rows
triceps extension
dips

Chin ups are a challenge because the contraption doesn't go as high as you need it.

I like to sit on the ground, pop my feet up on the ottoman with legs out straight, and do pull ups like a gentleman with the remote control in my lap. :cool:

The only problem with home workout set ups is the simpler they are the more creative you have to get to stay motivated.

Kids these days won't lift a finger unless they have the latest whizz bang squat racks and expensive bars. I have never needed much to get a good workout.

Alls I'd need to get a good workout at home is a skipping rope, a horizontal beam I can do Rocky chin ups off.... and one of these bad boys.

pic-1hp541.jpg

Taken the week off from the gym due to illness. I sound like ******* peternorth

Eaten very well. Burgers Fri, Burgers Sat, Pizza Sun, Kebab Mon, KFC Tue, Pizza Thu...scales sitting lower than the same time last week.

This gym game is good

By resting and eating all that goodness your body will be shocked once you return like an adonis to the gym. Your body is under duress and as you pump iron your body will build more muscle mass. Thats my theory.

By resting and eating all that goodness your body will be shocked once you return like an adonis to the gym. Your body is under duress and as you pump iron your body will build more muscle mass. Thats my theory.
******* hope so. I am going tomorrow and intend to kill myself with iron

We do a fair bit at CrossFit. Ring dips, ring rows, ring push ups, muscle ups etc.

Hey guys,

First time posting here (I think)

Some of my friends think I'm shredded, which I love to hear but it is wrong. I can certainly pull off the look when I wear certain clothing. But I'm hiding a pretty sizable beer belly. I've decided it's time to get serious and get shredded for real.

It seems like a 'mini cut' is the best way to go. Yep 4-5 weeks of hardcore work ahead of me.

I am going to combine intermittent fasting (16/8 11.30am - 7.30pm) with 3x normal split in the gym and add 2x HIIT - one with kettlebells and one on the cross trainer. The fasting part is easy to me as I kinda have been doing it already (just need to swap a latte for an americano).

Calorie deficit based on research and my own composition will be around 500-700 mark. Yep, a mini cut is shorter and more intense than a regular cut so bigger deficit required.

Has anyone here done the mini cut before and have any tips? Maybe some pointers? Is 3 sessions and 2 HIIT too much? Also, wiithout wanting to sound like an alcoholic, cutting the booze out for a month entirely is the hardest step to me. What's the best way to drink in moderation? I guess calorie wise - a Jack diet coke or two every now and then won't hurt. But I also read that alcohol kinda jumps the queue when it enters your body and could hamper the fat burning process. Better just to be a boring campaigner for a month and drink soft drink when I'm meeting friends or will a few drinks be generally OK?

Also, wiithout wanting to sound like an alcoholic, cutting the booze out for a month entirely is the hardest step to me. What's the best way to drink in moderation? I guess calorie wise - a Jack diet coke or two every now and then won't hurt. But I also read that alcohol kinda jumps the queue when it enters your body and could hamper the fat burning process. Better just to be a boring campaigner for a month and drink soft drink when I'm meeting friends or will a few drinks be generally OK?
i reckon you're better off having a neat bourbon (or with a splash of water if want to mellow the taste) rather than having soft drink...that includes the diet stuff. if you're going to put a weird concoction of unhealthy crap into your body you might as well get a buzz from it.

Calorie deficit, not total calories.
Will be up around 1800-1900 total.

That makes more sense lol.
Completely misread it first time around.

Do you actually have reasonable muscle mass atm or more skinny fat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes more sense lol.
Completely misread it first time around.

Do you actually have reasonable muscle mass atm or more skinny fat?
Reasonably happy with my muscle mass, more of a skinny toned Jack Watts physique than a bulky Petracca type. Just need to lose the fat and minimise muscle loss. 700 deficits might be pushing it.

Reasonably happy with my muscle mass, more of a skinny toned Jack Watts physique than a bulky Petracca type. Just need to lose the fat and minimise muscle loss. 700 deficits might be pushing it.

My advice, the easiest calories you burn are the ones you don't eat. Also you can't spot reduce fat.

My advice, the easiest calories you burn are the ones you don't eat. Also you can't spot reduce fat.
Yeah it's pretty crazy eating something like a KitKat then realising you'd need to spend 10 Minutes on the treadmill to burn it off.

I know you can't spot reduce fat, I've seen people say this or that exercise are good for burning belly fat. I think that's completely false. But a lot of my fat goes to my belly, partly genetics partly diet, so when my body starts burning fat, well it should be able to beeline to the sources pretty easily.

I am currently 185cm and 71kg and have hovered around that weight all my adult life and still have a little bit of belly fat, you can't see it though unless I'm leaning forward touching the toes, nearly impossible to get rid of it all IMO unless you are fanatical with your diet and exercise.

Yeah it's pretty crazy eating something like a KitKat then realising you'd need to spend 10 Minutes on the treadmill to burn it off.

I know you can't spot reduce fat, I've seen people say this or that exercise are good for burning belly fat. I think that's completely false. But a lot of my fat goes to my belly, partly genetics partly diet, so when my body starts burning fat, well it should be able to beeline to the sources pretty easily.

Your body and everyone else’s is full of fat to varying levels. And you are always burning/storing fat, the net balance will be determined by how much you eat....which I understand you get it. But your body will drop fat from non essential areas first, arms, chest etc, around the belly is more essential for our bodies it made sense when we lived in caves to keep fat around our stomach. Just because you have excess in one area doesn’t mean that’s where the body will preference burning body fat from.

Update: HIIT sprints (6x flat 40m sprints then 6x hill sprints ~20m moderate incline) is bloody difficult for a rookie. Looked easy on paper even for a HIIT virgin but I nearly died after the 6th hill. I get why people do it - it was 10-15 minutes at the park max. Not sure whether to go again next Sunday and try to up the ante or stick to an hour long brisk walking along the Yarra with Spotify going.

Update: HIIT sprints (6x flat 40m sprints then 6x hill sprints ~20m moderate incline) is bloody difficult for a rookie. Looked easy on paper even for a HIIT virgin but I nearly died after the 6th hill. I get why people do it - it was 10-15 minutes at the park max. Not sure whether to go again next Sunday and try to up the ante or stick to an hour long brisk walking along the Yarra with Spotify going.
thats an awesome workout :thumbsu:
if you enjoyed it then keep going. no need to up the ante yet. keep repeating it until it feels a bit more comfortable (it will never be easy because its always an all out effort regardless of how fast you get), then maybe cut the rest a fraction or add a rep but do it gradually.

forget the brisk hour long walk. personally i'd do a 10 minute jog warm up and the same for cool down but really easy, always aerobic. that gets you to half an hour.

My heart goes out to you.

Gym has been great. Really smashing it atm. Leg day today, so i am going to have some FUNNNN

Want to go tonight. See what happens. Hard to explain, well easy to, but people generally dont believe it. ANyway, pump iron guys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back