List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Did anyone see in the paper today where Jay Clark said Gold Coast was a long shot but still a chance of getting Clayton Oliver in this year's trade period? Surely it isn't that hard to find 3 players from this team that other teams want (The other 2 being Brayshaw for Langdon and trading out ANB)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
You can’t. It would be possible to keep a 1st but it wouldn’t be 3 that’s for sure.
What about if we sell some Wagner potatoes to Gold Coast? Cmon man - someone must still be susceptible to the multiple potatoes for one artichoke methodology?

Wow. Are you inferring we might be doing a Carlton/Adelaide sort of deal.?

Not necessarily us. Think I mentioned on here the other day, the swans want pick points for academy players.

Word going around is that there are good players in this draft but players that fit our needs might be going later in the top 10-30. Potential for a Salem/Tyson type deal or a player and downgrade. Swans are also desperate to free cap space. Papley, Florent, Hewitt, Dawson types will need decent pay increases to keep them.

What about if we sell some Wagner potatoes to Gold Coast? Cmon man - someone must still be susceptible to the multiple potatoes for one artichoke methodology?

We’re the only ones riding that train wreck.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not necessarily us. Think I mentioned on here the other day, the swans want pick points for academy players.

Word going around is that there are good players in this draft but players that fit our needs might be going later in the top 10-30. Potential for a Salem/Tyson type deal or a player and downgrade. Swans are also desperate to free cap space. Papley, Florent, Hewitt, Dawson types will need decent pay increases to keep them.
I've been thinking we could do a pick swap for more options in the 1st Rnd. So I've been hoping that we get a top 3 pick to do this. I think there would be many clubs willing to trade to us, for our early pick. From the Hawks and up the ladder, to clubs that haven't recruited any elite talents for a while.

We need an injection of more talent for a longer stay when we climb the ladder. Too many NQR's amongst our list.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've been thinking we could do a pick swap for more options in the 1st Rnd. So I've been hoping that we get a top 3 pick to do this. I think there would be many clubs willing to trade to us, for our early pick. From the Hawks and up the ladder, to clubs that haven't recruited any elite talents for a while.

We need an injection of more talent for a longer stay when we climb the ladder. Too many NQR's amongst our list.
We have a heap of bargaining chips. The obvious two with a ceiling are Brayshaw and Petracca. If it means getting Brad Hill, a 25 year old outside midfielder with pace and great ball use, I am up for it.

The top 5 pick could and will be a major drawcard. Basically we have to get this one right, because we are a few tweaks away from having the right players and becoming a very good side again.

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we get pick 3 I’d consider swap that with GWS they have 2 first round picks as they have an academy kid which could go top 5 they might jump at it so they get someone before anybody nominates him. Then use 1 pick on Langdon take other to draft.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

Great for our culture to hope to finish 3rd last it did wonders for us last time we hoped to finish last. Id rather we win most our games on the way home while finding out about a few players. Rather than hoping to lose most our games for the sake of an extra player who might not work out anyway. Give me going into next year beating a few top teams any day

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we get pick 3 I’d consider swap that with GWS they have 2 first round picks as they have an academy kid which could go top 5 they might jump at it so they get someone before anybody nominates him. Then use 1 pick on Langdon take other to draft.
surely Langdons not worth a first rounder? maybe a very late first, but no more than that.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
We have a heap of bargaining chips. The obvious two with a ceiling are Brayshaw and Petracca. If it means getting Brad Hill, a 25 year old outside midfielder with pace and great ball use, I am up for it.

The top 5 pick could and will be a major drawcard
. Basically we have to get this one right, because we are a few tweaks away from having the right players and becoming a very good side again.
Your right.

But another way might be to use our future 1st Rnd Pick for Brad Hill.?

Keep our 2019 top 3 pick for LAsh, or maybe Serong.?

And trade to upgrade our 2nd Rnd Pick into the 1st Rnd. Maybe bracket our future 2nd Rnd pick and this years 2nd Rnd pick together, and trade to a willing buyer for a pick around P-15ish.? Maybe GWS or GCSuns might consider.? + maybe a sweetener ?

If we traded future Rnd 1 pick for B Hill. Theres a wing/outside spot catered for.
An early selection of say LAsh, who could be a dashing back flanker who pinpoints the ball. Could be the replacement for Hibbo, looking ahead, and with this occurring, could see Salem go back onto the centreline in future.

And possibly another pick to use this year, around P15.?

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great for our culture to hope to finish 3rd last it did wonders for us last time we hoped to finish last. Id rather we win most our games on the way home while finding out about a few players. Rather than hoping to lose most our games for the sake of an extra player who might not work out anyway. Give me going into next year beating a few top teams any day

I'm not at the club coaching or helping the players.. so my hopes since we've shot ourselves in the foot this year, are just that. Mine.
Not the clubs, so my solo hopes will not effect the players, Rocky.

And unlike you, I presume you think our list is just Dandy.? I think our list is full of holes (especially projecting forward a couple of years time), and needs fresh injection of talent, Pref' top end talent.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not at the club coaching or helping the players.. so my hopes since we've shot ourselves in the foot this year, are just that. Mine.
Not the clubs, so my solo hopes will not effect the players, Rocky.

And unlike you, I presume you think our list is just Dandy.? I think our list is full of holes (especially projecting forward a couple of years time), and needs fresh injection of talent, Pref' top end talent.
And if you get what you hope for thatd be s**t house for the club. May as well tank for the next 5 years for top end talent you reckon we need so desperately. Dandy? I was 1 of the only campaigners to have us missing the 8 in the pre season poll cause of the holes we have which isnt 18year olds. Draft picks are rubbish its hit and miss especially at a club with the worst development in the league. Id rather wins over how high a pick we can get from losing. We hardly need to rush out getting 18yr olds as we are still a young team and id say we lack experienced heads.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
And if you get what you hope for thatd be s**t house for the club. May as well tank for the next 5 years for top end talent you reckon we need so desperately. Dandy? I was 1 of the only campaigners to have us missing the 8 in the pre season poll cause of the holes we have which isnt 18year olds. Draft picks are rubbish its hit and miss especially at a club with the worst development in the league. Id rather wins over how high a pick we can get from losing. We hardly need to rush out getting 18yr olds as we are still a young team and id say we lack experienced heads.
I don't share your pessimism. Pick well and early, and make the kids earn their games and keep them honest.

Melbourne failed its initial rebuild under Bailey, because of the numpties running the show. and their thinking of which types to go for, and how to develop these kids.
They tried to develop them as thorough outsiders, which didn't have to do any of the hard things, like tackling bigger bodies, etc, and they were drowned in un-earnt games being thrown their way.

Just about the wrong way to do things on every single count.
D graders, the lot of them.

Last edited:

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Has Frosty signed up yet? if he wanted to go what do ya reckon we'd get for him? Hope he has or does sign up love me some Frost ball and should be in his prime over the next few years

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Has Frosty signed up yet? if he wanted to go what do ya reckon we'd get for him? Hope he has or does sign up love me some Frost ball and should be in his prime over the next few years
Depends which pick the club who wants him has. Anywhere from 15-30

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I picked us for 7-8 and got rubbished from my demons supporter mates. Turns out even I was optimistic. Morons were talking us up for the flag.

Back