List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
K... would he really be right fro you with the way your are being coached? ie hard contested football.. You guys have had several players who have oozed class and skill etc... and most younger than Gibbs and not all have worked for you. When he played Geelong two weeks ago he looked like he didnt want to run hard. Mentally shot ? Could he reinvigerate himself at another club? Perhaps..but I suspect it would only be a West Coast or GWS ..where they are winning and he could just glide around. Imo.. he would just take games off your future kids.

Get the extra pick of the AFL .. take 1 and 2 .. and continue to bed down most of your good kids while finding a couple of mature that fit a bit beter than Gibbs ... just my opinion. (Sure if he did come and returned to his best form he would help you)

For what its worth .. I dont think the GC should be asking for a 1 off Priority Pick... they should be pushing for a change to the drafting system for all the bottom sides.. As it stands there is 1 pick..ie the p1 kid at the start of the draft between the bottom side and the Premiers and from then on P18..P19 etc.. is almost identical.
As we know one kid can fail , get injured , leave whatever... the system does not help sides that has had an extended period out of finals. Whether its GC or Brisbane or Bulldogs or Fremantle or whoever. If a side has not had finals participation in 5 years (for eg.) then I feel that club should get another pick before the finalists ..and keep getting picks each year till they make finals. I have reservations about the draft .. , its far from the be all and end all but if we are going to have it lets look at a system that give bottoms sides a better chance to rise up.

And I dont think you should have to draft locals either while you are out of finals.. just pre-list them..

What do you think of WA kid Robertson.. ?
A thoughtful reply which is great.

My biggest complaint from us this year, is the lack of depth through the middle and also we lack people who can use the ball well. The likes of Swallow, Miles, Miller, Brodie, McPherson are they are hard in and under players but they aren't great kicks. We servery lack outside players who can hit a target by foot. Weller, Hanley, Lukosius and Martin are probably the only 4 I would trust to hit a target by foot on a lead under pressure these days. We are crying out for players who can play on the outside and can hit a target, probably the reason we are 'reportedly' targeting Hill for the wing. Admittedly since I posted my thoughts I have cooled on the idea a little, but if we got assurances about his work rate and any other baggage and we got him cheap I would give it consideration.

I like that idea for the draft FWIW, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon unfortunately, pressure from the other AFL clubs to leave it as is will be too high.

Honestly, haven't been keeping a super close eye on the draft this year, so I don't know much about any draftees coming out outside the 'big 2'.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
OK the BF Phantom draft starts tomorrow.

I will be picking Matt Rowell at 1 for GC.

My question is, what position/type of player do you want for your second pick?

I really don't want to pick two inside mids with your first two picks, but if that is what you want, let me know.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like them succeeding is better than any difference in draft pick for us. Bigger picture stuff. That one draft pick won't turn us around really given our history.

Stronger Queensland teams make for better AFL and the growth in the state as well.
This person gets it. It's the same reason why I want Gold Coast to succeed too. Both of us succeeding will help the game in Queensland enormously.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
A thoughtful reply which is great.

My biggest complaint from us this year, is the lack of depth through the middle and also we lack people who can use the ball well. The likes of Swallow, Miles, Miller, Brodie, McPherson are they are hard in and under players but they aren't great kicks. We servery lack outside players who can hit a target by foot. Weller, Hanley, Lukosius and Martin are probably the only 4 I would trust to hit a target by foot on a lead under pressure these days. We are crying out for players who can play on the outside and can hit a target, probably the reason we are 'reportedly' targeting Hill for the wing. Admittedly since I posted my thoughts I have cooled on the idea a little, but if we got assurances about his work rate and any other baggage and we got him cheap I would give it consideration.

I like that idea for the draft FWIW, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon unfortunately, pressure from the other AFL clubs to leave it as is will be too high.

Honestly, haven't been keeping a super close eye on the draft this year, so I don't know much about any draftees coming out outside the 'big 2'.

The pressure thing ..which im sure is seen as Vic thing ..really could be swayed a bit if the emphasis is not on you being a special case just this year... but a update to the draft that has lost some of its equalisation power due to the introduction of FA. This type of thing has been discussed before commentors like DKing , GHealy would get behind it with the right spin imo There is little debate over sides taking too long to refresh and rebalance..its a fact... and while once the draft was seen as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ..now other changes such as FA and players strength in trade demands etc have made it less in a rebuild model ... yet its still the best chance to get talent that has nothing to do with the players choice. FA talent is obviously harder to get for clubs not in contention.

On the draft..
Id say Roberston would be ideal for the Dew demands.. Id like him at Geelong.. perhaps a JS type replacement long term. He won the Larke , was Capt of WA and is a tougher def minded mind than some other thought to be higher.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
OK the BF Phantom draft starts tomorrow.

I will be picking Matt Rowell at 1 for GC.

My question is, what position/type of player do you want for your second pick?

I really don't want to pick two inside mids with your first two picks, but if that is what you want, let me know.

Given what we drafted last year was high upside guys that need a bit of maturation I would be happy to forgo a bit of upside for greater initial production.

If McAsey or Gould were there I would be happy with the value at that spot otherwise I would be looking for an additional midfielder either who is ready to play or who could be put on the outside that uses it well.

Ready to go: Serong, Schoenberg, Robertson
Outside: Stephens, O'Neill, Sharp

Could even talk me into Dylan Williams to pair up with Rowell

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
We've been saying that on the Lions page all season.

The sooner there's a proper reserves completion, at least on the East Coast, the better.

The NEAFL is a joke for us this season. Our young players aren't being challenged enough, and there are questions if they'll be ready to step up to AFL level when the time comes.
Your (Lions ) big problem is that the top 3 academy kids (outside of Coleman) haven’t got to play much senior footy ( think 4 games between them) due to your strong side and may not get the opportunities to play as much senior footy as the Gold Coast , Sydney and GWS kids in the last few games of the season which could hurt them draft day

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Some word on our board that Greenwood might be a Gold Coast Sun next year..I don't know if it is at all accurate, but he would be a good addition to your midfield
I see that..... very interesting, massively rate him. I had a massive crush on his Mum, Andree Marquis, back in my school days in Hobart. She was a gun swimmer and basketballer and a stunning girl. Her family had a heated indoor pool and swim school which in Hobart in the 1970's was very flash.

Her Dad was Trunky Marquis who played, I think, in 3 Premierships for MFC and ended up being the local talent scout for Melbourne as we were in their zone in Hobart. He scouted our school team one day and picked our captain Michael Reynolds who went on to play for Melbourne but I wasn't good enough (was Vice Captain), they invited me to train with them and see how it went but I went on with another sport professionally instead. Would have loved the chance to get a Form 4 back then but wasn't good enough.

The saddest part is Hugh's Mum lost her battle with breast cancer in 2017, very, very sad. If you get a chance check the profile they did on Hugh about his Mum and the journey to her passing, its on Fox and is really good, shows how highly rated his character is as a person. He would be massive for us.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see that..... very interesting, massively rate him. I had a massive crush on his Mum, Andree Marquis, back in my school days in Hobart. She was a gun swimmer and basketballer and a stunning girl. Her family had a heated indoor pool and swim school which in Hobart in the 1970's was very flash.

Her Dad was Trunky Marquis who played, I think, in 3 Premierships for MFC and ended up being the local talent scout for Melbourne as we were in their zone in Hobart. He scouted our school team one day and picked our captain Michael Reynolds who went on to play for Melbourne but I wasn't good enough (was Vice Captain), they invited me to train with them and see how it went but I went on with another sport professionally instead. Would have loved the chance to get a Form 4 back then but wasn't good enough.

The saddest part is Hugh's Mum lost her battle with breast cancer in 2017, very, very sad. If you get a chance check the profile they did on Hugh about his Mum and the journey to her passing, its on Fox and is really good, shows how highly rated his character is as a person. He would be massive for us.
Appreciate the comments. I can tell you that he is well liked amongst the supporter base and he is a guy that if he leaves to get a good long term deal, there won't be many of us that begrudge him that and I would wish him well if our club does not offer him what he needs. As for Gold Coast, what you would get is probably exactly the sort of player needed - a big strong bodied mid that can go forward and kick goals. he is also a very good contested mark and would no doubt help the younger mids in your team. If GC can land a few players like that, then it won't be too long before a climb up the ladder begins

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Appreciate the comments. I can tell you that he is well liked amongst the supporter base and he is a guy that if he leaves to get a good long term deal, there won't be many of us that begrudge him that and I would wish him well if our club does not offer him what he needs. As for Gold Coast, what you would get is probably exactly the sort of player needed - a big strong bodied mid that can go forward and kick goals. he is also a very good contested mark and would no doubt help the younger mids in your team. If GC can land a few players like that, then it won't be too long before a climb up the ladder begins
He does a lot of things very, very well and would add some real starch to our midfield

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would think being from Hobart and then studying in the US for college there wouldn't be a go home factor for him

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Given what we drafted last year was high upside guys that need a bit of maturation I would be happy to forgo a bit of upside for greater initial production.

If McAsey or Gould were there I would be happy with the value at that spot otherwise I would be looking for an additional midfielder either who is ready to play or who could be put on the outside that uses it well.

Ready to go: Serong, Schoenberg, Robertson
Outside: Stephens, O'Neill, Sharp

Could even talk me into Dylan Williams to pair up with Rowell
I would take Serong in a heartbeat, but he won’t be there.

Robertson and Schoenberg are second round talents. Robertson can find the football A LOT, but he’s a poor user when under pressure, and he’s not a great kick.

Stephens I’m 50/50 on. Was talked up a lot before the U18 Championships, but really didn’t live up to expectations until the last game against the Allies.

O’Neill has been the kid I’ve had in mind. I rate him.

Trust me you don’t want Sharp. He is very outside, very talented and athletically gifted. But he’s very lazy, won’t defend or run defensively and copped a couple of big serves on the bench from WA coach Peter Sumich. He was dropped for the last game against Vic C, then brought back in at the last minute.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I would take Serong in a heartbeat, but he won’t be there.

Robertson and Schoenberg are second round talents. Robertson can find the football A LOT, but he’s a poor user when under pressure, and he’s not a great kick.

Stephens I’m 50/50 on. Was talked up a lot before the U18 Championships, but really didn’t live up to expectations until the last game against the Allies.

O’Neill has been the kid I’ve had in mind. I rate him.

Trust me you don’t want Sharp. He is very outside, very talented and athletically gifted. But he’s very lazy, won’t defend or run defensively and copped a couple of big serves on the bench from WA coach Peter Sumich. He was dropped for the last game against Vic C, then brought back in at the last minute.

Agree on Sharp - appears to be the definition of a show pony.

Doesn't have a hair out of place and loves getting the baby oil out to show off his guns

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks for well informed posts re: Hugh. I've rated him from the word go, but are you in a position to answer this query.
Why does he get the least amount of game time of all the players. This year (11games) the most he's had is 82% with the majority in the mid 70's ......3/4 of a game as such.
And last year when he played 22 games it wasn't any better....is it his fitness or is it something else.

I think at 27yo , he'd be a great get for us, but the lack of game time is a concern for me.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks for well informed posts re: Hugh. I've rated him from the word go, but are you in a position to answer this query.
Why does he get the least amount of game time of all the players. This year (11games) the most he's had is 82% with the majority in the mid 70's ......3/4 of a game as such.
And last year when he played 22 games it wasn't any better....is it his fitness or is it something else.

I think at 27yo , he'd be a great get for us, but the lack of game time is a concern for me.
He had an interrupted preseason I believe this year and I think it was the same last year..he was also late to the game having come from another sporting background. I suspect another contributing factor is that with both crouches and sloane and until recently gibbs and what was a fairly set forward line, he is also a bit of a victim of circumstance at our club. Like all players that you get to see do some really good things, we still see some real potential with Hugh, although with Cam Ellis Yolman also being in good form, we have 2 players similar on our list. As I noted, I don't know how much truth there is to the rumors from a few posters on our board, but I think Hugh is above the level of Horlin smith and a few others recently taken so he would improve your midfield I think if it turns out to be true

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He had an interrupted preseason I believe this year and I think it was the same last year..he was also late to the game having come from another sporting background. I suspect another contributing factor is that with both crouches and sloane and until recently gibbs and what was a fairly set forward line, he is also a bit of a victim of circumstance at our club. Like all players that you get to see do some really good things, we still see some real potential with Hugh, although with Cam Ellis Yolman also being in good form, we have 2 players similar on our list. As I noted, I don't know how much truth there is to the rumors from a few posters on our board, but I think Hugh is above the level of Horlin smith and a few others recently taken so he would improve your midfield I think if it turns out to be true

I have no doubt about that re:GHS

Back