Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t know if there’s anybody in footy who gives less to the media. Certainly no senior coach.

It’s a balance they’ve got wrong. I mean, if that’s the approach he’s going to take, ok, but they should get more info direct to members in videos etc. That’s why we have a club “media” dept. But even that stuff has no real insight whatsoever.

They need to improve it, the membership deserve a bit.
Frustrating when we lose and want answers though.

Isn't it?
No. No it isn't. I'm pretty sure Carlton are not all of a sudden successful now.

What do you think "letting the boys play with more freedom" means?
It's called a dead cat bounce and it doesn't last. 'Okay boys just go out there and have fun' isn't a sustainable game plan if it's one at all.

Didn't we change in a week before the Geelong game last year and then blame it all on Neeld?
That was a superfluous someone who was found to be doing nothing but obfuscating the message being removed from the group iirc. Not a change in the gameplan per se.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep. Reckon I was a good chance of having listened to every press conference given by a coach from 2011.

Cant remember the last 1 I listened to this year.

Got sick of listening to incoherent bulls**t delivered so dead pan it doesnt even seem like a deflection.
You just wanna shake him.

“John! John! Are you in there?!!!!”

Dogs, North and Lions are surging because they have healthy list. Bit of luck and we could have been 9-6, 10-5. Without Daniher and Smith and forward decimated.

Dogs, North and Lions are surging because they have healthy list. Bit of luck and we could have been 9-6, 10-5. Without Daniher and Smith and forward decimated.
Most clubs have an injury list of 7-10 players this time of year, including key players out. I don't know that we can really blame injuries for our poor start to the year.

Most clubs have an injury list of 7-10 players this time of year, including key players out. I don't know that we can really blame injuries for our poor start to the year.

Well those three clubs haven’t had too many key out. We had Daniher first few weeks, Hooker first few, Smith’s been struggling all season.

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This bloke clearly enjoyed today’s result.

RDW5bKA.jpg

This bloke clearly enjoyed today’s result.

RDW5bKA.jpg
First we COUNTED THEM OUT.

Then we RUFFLED THEIR HAIR.

Then we WAVED AT THEM.

Then...we...

SMILED AT THEM.

******* rats.

First we COUNTED THEM OUT.

Then we RUFFLED THEIR HAIR.

Then we WAVED AT THEM.

Then...we...

SMILED AT THEM.

******* rats.
And then we won

Didn't know you were a Robbie Williams fan :think:

Some credit is due here for a bit of good coaching.
  • The courage to hold firm with Zac Clarke and get him to lift.
  • The forwards who were taking Pittard forward, isolating him in one on ones and negating his run.
  • The other Clarke to hold Cunnington and limit his clearances.
  • Trying to get Fantasia up onto a wing when he wasn't impacting.
  • (not new) but getting Stringer into the middle at key moments.
A bit of experience shining through perhaps, even when injuries were against us.

Moving on Paul Corrigan will be a blessing
Need a fwd coach to fix our structures and I reckon there's an upgrade on Skipworth available as well
Becomes even more important if Woosha decides to spend all his minutes on the bench

His name is often brought up but Skipworths results are actually decent. He was in charge of the forwardline when we became a high scoring attack, that has gone away this year since he's been moved out of that area (also lost some pieces) and our midfield have really stepped up this year.

His name is often brought up but Skipworths results are actually decent. He was in charge of the forwardline when we became a high scoring attack, that has gone away this year since he's been moved out of that area (also lost some pieces) and our midfield have really stepped up this year.
Skipworth's performance has been below average for the majority of his tenure and he's been here for 10 years. Needs to be moved on

Skipworth's performance has been below average for the majority of his tenure and he's been here for 10 years. Needs to be moved on

Not entirely sure that's true. Has been noticeable improvement in each line he has been involved in and has stayed employed through multiple regimes so is performing his role well enough to remain employed.

You yourself praised the way the forward line worked whilst criticising Skipworth before it was pointed out to you he was in charge of it, I remember that thread.
Our midfield has also become a strength this year as opposed to the weakness it has been in previous years and our forward craft has fallen off a cliff.

His name is thrown up every single year by supporters. Can you explain the "below average" comment? What are you basing it on?

Not entirely sure that's true. Has been noticeable improvement in each line he has been involved in and has stayed employed through multiple regimes so is performing his role well enough to remain employed.

You yourself praised the way the forward line worked whilst criticising Skipworth before it was pointed out to you he was in charge of it, I remember that thread.
Our midfield has also become a strength this year as opposed to the weakness it has been in previous years and our forward craft has fallen off a cliff.

His name is thrown up every single year by supporters. Can you explain the "below average" comment? What are you basing it on?

Classic Ethan.

He was an average VFL coach, who oddly also helped out in the midfield. He went to our forward line and had one good year, but then moved to midfield where we've been as inconsistent as ever, he just seems to hang around and we continue to produce the same results.

We've been mediocre for how long and we've had these assistant coaches for how long? Something's gotta give.

Back