Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. My call on who I believe will NOT be on our list in 2020.

Lobbe
Simpson
Thomas
LeBois
Lang
Fasolo
Kerr

Then it’s tough. I think there will be approx 8 changes

3-4 recruits and 3-5 draftees of which most will be mature players.

Personally I don’t care if Simmo & Thomas play on. I’m just assessing the list and what I think will happen. Time will tell

We have a new coach yet to be announced, who may want to have some say in the comings and goings.
Some players would well have their papers stamped already and no-one would bat an eyelid.......and some haven't, nor should have just yet.

Plenty to play out and I wouldn't apportion too much weight on what someones opinions may be for now.

For me I think should be gone off the main list

Lobbe, Phillips, Simpson, Pickett, Fasolo, Lang, Garlett and Kerr.
8 changes.

If we have an incredible offseason and bring in say 4 best 22 players than we still have four spots to fill. If we bring in four players it’s hard to imagine us having any picks before 50 in the draft. So four spots open for the draft for players taken most likely at 50 plus. Maybe promote a rookie. Still looks completely unnecessary to push Thomas out and replace him with a player who has probably a 10% chance of playing more games than he would in the future for the club.

Giving Daisy the flick is really disappointing. One of the few who has a go every single week.
Where's this coming from? Has someone on BF posted this? Has it come from the club? or daisy? I haven't heard.

Would be pure madness to cut Daisy. He's had a very good couple of years and playing some really consistent footy.

Most important for me is who we bring in. Our young list desperately needs that mid 20s support.

My hopes (some of)

Running defender: Ed Langdon Brandon Ellis Harry Cunningham Mason Blakey

Outside Run: Brad Hill Jack Martin

Midfield support: Stephen Coniglio Luke Dunstan

Small Forward: Tom Papley
Callum AhChee

Ruck: Darcy Cameron Max Lynch

Then I really hope we get a couple of very talented State League level players

Not having a go at Finbar but he looks to be a minimum of two years away from being ready to play a game in the 1s. I know all draftees are given a two year contract but I find it hard to reconcile that Fin could stay on the list ahead of someone like Fasolo let alone a player like Daisy, when he barely gets a game in the VFL.

He may surprise me but I have strong memories of Caleb Tiller and Anthony Raso.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not having a go at Finbar but he looks to be a minimum of two years away from being ready to play a game in the 1s. I know all draftees are given a two year contract but I find it hard to reconcile that Fin could stay on the list ahead of someone like Fasolo let alone a player like Daisy, when he barely gets a game in the VFL.

He may surprise me but I have strong memories of Caleb Tiller and Anthony Raso.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. He’s shown little bits but hasn’t done a lot. I just can’t believe SOS would select him and then delist in one year knowing he would take time when they drafted him

Has good pace, 183cm 75kg Bendigo Pioneers, has a bag of four against Fremantle played 7games this year for 11goals but only averages 8 disposals per game, shown some small glimpses but would be down the pecking order of chasing players particularly for that small forward spot ..
Sounds like we would be relocating to Bendigo at this rate. If you suggest Brander and Daniels, then I'm calling you out as the Mayor of Bendigo.
Paddy Dow, Lochie O’Brien, Angus Schumacher (all CFC), Jarrod Brander (West Coast), Brent Daniels (GWS GIANTS) and Kane Farrell (Port Adelaide) all Bendigo Pioneers 2017.

Ridiculous to think Thomas would not play again next season. He's currently our best small defender and his body appears fine.

We have some real issues in regards to small defenders coming up. Simpson will unlikely go much longer. Docherty may or may not come good and after two years out might not take to it as strong as we hope, coming through is Schumacher but there are more questions as to whether he will be on the list next year than Thomas. Williamson, who knows, hasn't been able to get going for two years.

We need Thomas to hang on while we try and fix this upcoming small defender problem we have hanging over our head so we can focus on more pressing needs like building the midfield up and landing a good small forward.

There's no way we are offloading a form player who plays a role we don't have security or depth in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. He’s shown little bits but hasn’t done a lot. I just can’t believe SOS would select him and then delist in one year knowing he would take time when they drafted him
Agreed.

Serious question..has he performed any worse than Ben? Not that I’ve seen many games vfl games but the ones i have they’ve been pretty much on par.

Agreed.

Serious question..has he performed any worse than Ben? Not that I’ve seen many games vfl games but the ones i have they’ve been pretty much on par.

Both have shown little bits but nothing consistent. They both look raw prospects to me so patience is needed with both. Too early to make a call on either IMO

Lobbe
Simpson
Thomas
LeBois
Lang
Fasolo
Kerr

Personally I don’t care if Simmo & Thomas play on. I’m just assessing the list and what I think will happen. Time will tell
Agree with your changes but I think we’ve got serious issues if Polson is still on our list next year. Reckon he’s a good VAFA player at best.

Yep, I also don't think we're in the Hawthorn position of being able to just toss quality footballers because they're north of 30. It would be silly to cut him solely because of that. Not sure who would take his spot right now.
I’d ditch Fasolo before Daisy

Lobbe
Simpson
Thomas
LeBois
Lang
Fasolo
Kerr

We also have the extra spot when Pickett was retired.

The worst thing that can happen to a listen is being forcedto play duds like Lang. Ed Curnow is nowhere near the end. Kreuzer doesn’t have one year left. No way. They will stagger leaving nicely enough as it is. Simmo this year.Dale and Murph next year. Ed and Kreuzer the year after. No reason at all to delist Thomas prematurely. You’re not being logical Soap. You’ve complained all year about our lack of depth and a guy who clearly can play next year is suddenly not needed. Makes zero sense. I have confidence theywill see the light and give him another deal.
I love Kruez to death, but the reality of the situation is that he has spent the majority of the last two season off the ground due to injury. This is a recurring pattern over the course of his career.

Do we keep him on our list? Sure, given our terrible ruck depth, but that is the only thing that may be saving him, in the short to medium term. You cannot expect to stay around, even when he's able to contribute what he can when he gets out there, if the majority of your time is spent off the ground.

We have also added Gibbons Cottrell & Deluca for inj Doc & Pickett and retired Bugg. I think we still have to reduce by 1 spot anyway?
No idea on whether we have to reduce 1 spot or not. It certainly will be interesting how we treat rookies such as gibbons etc. keep as rookies or upgrade. Keeping as rookies you would think would give us greater flexibility on selections to the senior list..where Pickett was.

Next year we have

Murphy - 33 years old
Kruezer - 31
Curnow - 31
Casboult - 30
Jones - 29

Daisy will be 33
Simpson will be 36

Worst thing that can happen to a list is they all go in one year. Murphy Kruezer & Curnow may only have one more year.

It so important now that these exits are staggered. Can't have them all leaving at once.

Cripps will be 25
Docherty - 27
Newman - 27
Plowman - 26
McGovern - 26
Gibbons - 25

Our first lot of draftees in the rebuild (2015 draft) will be around 23 years old
The next years players need to play

At worst we will bring in around 5 players about 25 years old

If all this happens we will have a much better balanced list in 2020 and that will make a massive difference to our overall performance. Big Picture
I reckon many are looking only at Daisy, Murph and Simmo as your older brigade and moving on one each year rather than looking at it as 6 players which are 30+. You need to move on 2 per year over 3 years instead.
What you need to look at is the player's output and what they're paid. Daisy is on something around the AFL average for a senior player, and is playing well for us.

Depending on the contract structure for a 1 year deal given he may play more footy in the VFL next year, I'd be looking to retain him, and ensure that he's getting his coaching accreditation.

We have also added Gibbons Cottrell & Deluca for inj Doc & Pickett and retired Bugg. I think we still have to reduce by 1 spot anyway?
We had an open list spot after the rookie draft; unlike Pickett, Docherty has been on the senior list this entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back