Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Sure there is more than one way to skin a cat and Richmond developed a plan when they lost Ben Griffiths last year with concussion issues and decided to go small forward line and only 1 ruck and got away with BS of playing Grigg or another 185cm player as a second ruck.

17 clubs stupidly, in 2017 played into Richmond's hand and the same this year, until Grundy and to a lesser extent Cox last week said we aren't going to let Richmond get away with this BS.

I have written before that when Ryder is being dominate and with his leap, he should do a Babe Ruth, point where he is going to hit the ball at centre bounce, send Robbie or one of our other mids 10-15m forward of the centre circle and belt the ball straight down his throat and test out if a defender goes and stands the mid or plays russian roulette and stays back so its 2 v 3 at ground level inside the centre circle.

But Paddy jumps high, gets his hands to the ball first and does these little deft taps backwards or slightly forward, and if our mids get it first, usually they are set upon by the oppo and especially by Richmond mids, as its so easy to read what he is going to do. Paddy very very very rarely mixes it up at centre bounces.

Watch last years grand final and when Jacobs was up against Grigg, instead of belting the ball forward 20-30m to break things up, he went a nice little tap to Crouch, or Sloane, or Dougas etc and the Richmond mids were all over the crows player like a fat kid is on to a finger bun. There was no thinking, no trying to change things, no trying to upset Richmond's plans. Like a crowbot Jacobs was programmed to do the same thing over and over and over. But so were many other ruckmen the 3-4 months leading up to the 2017 GF.

Grundy in the PF was obviously instructed, when Grigg rucks, smash the bloody ball forward, so that if he doesn't jump its not 3 onto 4 on the ground. He did it a dozen times and most times Collingwood took the ball away as the ball was moving forward towards their goal and they were set up for it. But more importantly he had a mind set so that if he out jumped Nankervis to also do it and not let those manic Richmond mids an easy attack on the collingwood mids.

It has been hard for me to watch and believe so many head coaches who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and assistants a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year, plus all the video and football analysts clubs employ and they missed the bleeding obvious for well over 12 months and let Richmond get away with such a BS strategy. Well it was bleeding obvious to me anyway.
Holy *, had completely forgotten Ben Griffiths even existed.

Turns out he did this- first I'd heard of it

http://m.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-01-11/ben-griffiths-retirement

Holy ****, had completely forgotten Ben Griffiths even existed.

Turns out he did this- first I'd heard of it

http://m.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-01-11/ben-griffiths-retirement

My sister's friend and professional mentor, is either Ben Griffith's mum's 1st cousin or aunt. I can't remember the relationship but after the China game last year, I spent a month on the GC doing work for my sister and I had a good chat to her friend about Ben and she said back in June last year he probably will never play AFL again might not even play much VFL. Richmond either gave him a one year contract or he had one year to go but he wasn't delisted and was on their 2018 list.

My sister's friend is a leading academic in law has been a prof at 2 or 3 uni's over her career. She talked about what he might do post footy re study. In January this year he got a full scholarship to play and study for the USC Trojans as a kicker. USC is where LA's business, legal, medical etc elites go to, so it isn't a bad alternative to being at a AFL footy club and maybe not playing again because of the concussion issues . Who knows where he will end up if he does well, given the way US college/uni alumni's work.

I cant cut an paste big slabs of Buckenerra's take on our overall list management, trading and drafting strategy so I will cut and past what he reckons is the best thing we have done. Looks like we finally got one bit of our ruck strategy right since getting hold of Ryder 4 years ago.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/1ee27a78318bc8870da93711802aef2f
The Power made a key off-season move to improve its list by securing premiership ruckman Scott Lycett for West Coast but unfortunately lost both Wingard (Hawthorn) and Polec. Many will look at that and think Port Adelaide were one of the big losers of the trade/free agency period but I think they did very well considering the circumstances.

The club got a fantastic deal in for Wingard, there’s no doubt Hawthorn paid overs to get him, which is a big win. Ryan Burton is a future star and to get pick Nos.15 and 35 in addition in a very strong draft, puts the club in a great position to secure some of the best kids in the land.

I want to focus more, though on the addition of Lycett. Ryder will be 31 by the time the 2019 starts and has a bit of an injury history, so how much longer can he play to the level we expect and too, keep his career going? The addition of Lycett gives Port not only a great back-up and more flexibility up forward, but an instant replacement for their star ruckman when Ryder does retire.

The addition of Lycett will also greatly benefit Dixon. He can now focus solely on playing full forward, rather than pinch-hitting in the ruck when required. Lycett will also spend time forward and give the mix inside 50 a completely different look with two talls as genuine marking targets and guys who can bring the ball to ground for the likes of Robbie and Sam Gray and even Motlop, while Watts/Todd Marshall are the lead-up option.

Securing Lycett was a huge win for Port.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/1ee27a78318bc8870da93711802aef2f

Davies reckons we want to keep all 5 of the ruckman for next year. Either spin or they have finally worked out it's good to stockpile a few - because injuries happen plus you can trade them away once they demand more opportunities.

Port Adelaide has declared it wants to keep its plethora of unsigned ruckmen but concedes “some of those decisions will be taken out of our hands’’. After signing star young guns, last year’s first-round draft picks Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma, to two-year contract extensions, along with promising defender Joel Garner and injured midfielder/forward Jake Patmore, the Power will turn its attention to trying to striking new deals with veteran All-Australian Paddy Ryder and youngsters Peter Ladhams, Sam Hayes and Billy Frampton, who are all attracting attention from rivals.

With West Coast premiership ruckman Scott Lycett taking over the No. 1 ruck duties in his first year at Port and starring, former Bomber Ryder, 31, has been dropped to the SANFL and Ladhams, 21, Hayes, 20, and Frampton, 22, who also can play as a key forward, are stuck in the SANFL. All bar Hayes fall out of contract at the end of the season and have AFL suitors. “That is something that we’ve got to manage into the future,’’ Davies said.

“We're happy with our ruck depth at the moment and don’t think we’ve got too many. We think five is the right number. “We’re happy with their development and thinking all have been given good opportunities at AFL or SANFL level. “But there comes a time in every player's career where he needs to look at what he wants to achieve and whether he’s willing to be in an SANFL team or wants to play at AFL level. “We understand that players have an opportunity to make whatever decision they want.’’

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So really it’s Ladhams, Frampton and Ryder. Can’t see Hayes trying to move whilst under contract, after coming of an ACL and whilst so highly rated by the club. We probably lose one and that sets the decision in regard to the others. I think this is more hyperbole from the club and getting ahead of any speculation to set the tone and ensure clubs pay full value if they do want one of these boys. Can see Frampton and Ryder leaving.

Ladhams has shown plenty and is clearly the number 2. Hopefully recognises he is next in line and will get games. His ability to play forward and provide plenty around the ground should have him in the frame as a ruck/forward so may be able to partner Lycett.

Ryder is still our best tap ruck but doesn’t offer enough around the ground or up front. Happy for him to go or remain as a back up on less money.

Frampton is more forward than ruck. Probably surpassed by Howard and Ladhams. Maybe Marshall too.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Davies reckons we want to keep all 5 of the ruckman for next year. Either spin or they have finally worked out it's good to stockpile a few - because injuries happen plus you can trade them away once they demand more opportunities.

Port Adelaide has declared it wants to keep its plethora of unsigned ruckmen but concedes “some of those decisions will be taken out of our hands’’. After signing star young guns, last year’s first-round draft picks Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma, to two-year contract extensions, along with promising defender Joel Garner and injured midfielder/forward Jake Patmore, the Power will turn its attention to trying to striking new deals with veteran All-Australian Paddy Ryder and youngsters Peter Ladhams, Sam Hayes and Billy Frampton, who are all attracting attention from rivals.

With West Coast premiership ruckman Scott Lycett taking over the No. 1 ruck duties in his first year at Port and starring, former Bomber Ryder, 31, has been dropped to the SANFL and Ladhams, 21, Hayes, 20, and Frampton, 22, who also can play as a key forward, are stuck in the SANFL. All bar Hayes fall out of contract at the end of the season and have AFL suitors. “That is something that we’ve got to manage into the future,’’ Davies said.

“We're happy with our ruck depth at the moment and don’t think we’ve got too many. We think five is the right number. “We’re happy with their development and thinking all have been given good opportunities at AFL or SANFL level. “But there comes a time in every player's career where he needs to look at what he wants to achieve and whether he’s willing to be in an SANFL team or wants to play at AFL level. “We understand that players have an opportunity to make whatever decision they want.’’

I read this as...

"We are happy to let Ryder go but will say that all the ruckmen are required so we don't ruin his trade value".

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Find it hard to see Ryder on our list next year.

Agree, unless he can force his way back into the side and we go deep into September with that 2 ruck setup.

Lycett is a gun. Ladhams and Hayes are developing really well, with Frampton not bad as a forward who can ruck. Ryder is unfortunately probably in the gun given the state of our list. We can't lose Ladhams because we keep Ryder at this point unless Ryder finds form as a forward in a big way.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah if Ryder discovers no-one else is willing to offer more than a year I think it's fairly feasible he remains. While we've reached the point where Ladhams should be ahead of him in the pecking order, he can still well be a good asset to have in the ranks. I think it's been acknowledged that Frampton will be developed as a full time forward and while yes he is a promising talent, coming off a serious knee injury I wouldn't be counting any chickens with Hayes before they hatch.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Billy has options by the sounds of things. I suspect we lose Paddy and Billy unless Billy nails a spot in the side before the end of the year.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i want to know exactly what is wrong with Ryder, if its a case of his body not being able to handle the work load then its time to cut him free, we are in a good position right now with Lycett, Ladham and Hayes all being match ready by the start of 2020. Personally id rather concentrate of keeping Frampton than Ryder as i think he's a bigger hole to fill from a list point of view than Ryder is at the moment

It'd be silly for Ryder to stay here to be honest. Plenty of clubs where he'd be a walk-up start as #1 ruck.

I reckon he'd be a walk up start at Adelaide, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, St Kilda, Sydney and the Bulldogs. But Adelaide, Fremantle, St Kilda and the Bulldogs are putting time into promising young rucks so probably wouldn't go for Paddy. So Essendon (lol) and Geelong would be his best chances.

The two Sydney clubs are wildcards. If Mumford goes on, he's no chance at GWS. But if he doesn't, big chance. And who knows what's happening with Naismith and Sinclair at Sydney, it's hard to read the Swans at the best of times.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon he'd be a walk up start at Adelaide, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, St Kilda, Sydney and the Bulldogs. But Adelaide, Fremantle, St Kilda and the Bulldogs are putting time into promising young rucks so probably wouldn't go for Paddy. So Essendon (lol) and Geelong would be his best chances.

The two Sydney clubs are wildcards. If Mumford goes on, he's no chance at GWS. But if he doesn't, big chance. And who knows what's happening with Naismith and Sinclair at Sydney, it's hard to read the Swans at the best of times.
Recent reports are saying Adelaide have shown interest in Ladhams.

i want to know exactly what is wrong with Ryder, if its a case of his body not being able to handle the work load then its time to cut him free, we are in a good position right now with Lycett, Ladham and Hayes all being match ready by the start of 2020. Personally id rather concentrate of keeping Frampton than Ryder as i think he's a bigger hole to fill from a list point of view than Ryder is at the moment
It's simply his body is not up to being the No.1 ruck anymore. He's also an awful forward. So we should move him on.

Back