Roast Cochrane: GC Suns want priority pick from AFL commission!

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
‘I am a very, very, very, very difficult man to say no to’

Who is this Cochrane guy? The school bully? Go and get stuffed you belligerent gorilla.
I liked Cochrane better when he was schooling Koch

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Slightly different as they were the first clubs in their state not a superfluous second team.

The 3 key factors are the People involved, the Process used to govern the club and the overall Product.

The AFL can influence all 3 areas, just like they did with Sydney and Brisbane.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am emailing the club to demand as a long standing gold member that I want our management to be petitioning the AFL with every available resource to not allow them to give GC a front end priority pick ie pick 1. It has to be pointed out in no uncertain terms that it makes an absolute mockery of live trading to do it. The AFL have to get away from compromising the draft and come up with alternative means of helping the Suns. If our club does not get on the front foot and do this and the AFL award GC that pick, I am cutting up my membership and I know others that feel the same way

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am emailing the club to demand as a long standing gold member that I want our management to be petitioning the AFL with every available resource to not allow them to give GC a front end priority pick ie pick 1. It has to be pointed out in no uncertain terms that it makes an absolute mockery of live trading to do it. The AFL have to get away from compromising the draft and come up with alternative means of helping the Suns. If our club does not get on the front foot and do this and the AFL award GC that pick, I am cutting up my membership and I know others that feel the same way

That's great but its far from the AFC's call, the AFL commission will decide on this and them alone, which by the way was elected by the clubs

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's great but its far from the AFC's call, the AFL commission will decide on this and them alone, which by the way was elected by the clubs
I know that, but I want to hear that our club has done an Eddie McGuire and gone full bore at the AFL with all they have got to try and influence their decision. If the AFL award the PP and I find out our club sat on its arse and did nothing to try and alter the AFL position before the decision, then I stick by my post above

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know that, but I want to hear that our club has done an Eddie McGuire and gone full bore at the AFL with all they have got to try and influence their decision. If the AFL award the PP and I find out our club sat on its arse and did nothing to try and alter the AFL position before the decision, then I stick by my post above

If the club do, it wont be publisized they have, its not a good look on the AFL and they wont allow it

The commission is in charge as given that right by the clubs, unfortunately most clubs realise they must have two teams in QLD to perform or else the comp will not grow, its a bad situation for the AFC bad timing infact

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the club do, it wont be publisized they have, its not a good look on the AFL and they wont allow it

The commission is in charge as given that right by the clubs, unfortunately most clubs realise they must have two teams in QLD to perform or else the comp will not grow, its a bad situation for the AFC bad timing infact
again, i agree with you, but the club should be going hard at the AFL to not compromise the draft and the whole concept of live trading and suggesting there are many other avenues to help in terms of salary cap relief to attract players there, increased marketing and back of house allowances to attract the best coaches and to help retain drafted kids longer term. These options don't compromise the integrity of the draft nor do they dissuade clubs like ours from entering into live pick swap arrangements as you know that where your pick lands, it stays. And that goes for all clubs for live trading

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
again, i agree with you, but the club should be going hard at the AFL to not compromise the draft and the whole concept of live trading and suggesting there are many other avenues to help in terms of salary cap relief to attract players there, increased marketing and back of house allowances to attract the best coaches and to help retain drafted kids longer term. These options don't compromise the integrity of the draft nor do they dissuade clubs like ours from entering into live pick swap arrangements as you know that where your pick lands, it stays. And that goes for all clubs for live trading

Totally agree

But even if the club complain you will never know if they did, it will not be advised

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan

All true but we need to be on the front foot and not wait until it happens. Then from a position of weakness try and reverse an AFL decision. We never win anything with the AFL.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
'I will become a 6000-pound gorilla on this': Cochrane

He called himself a gorilla
I think a gorilla gets up to like, 300 kgs max? So like 600 pounds-ish?

Imagine a gorilla 10x as big as the normal ones. That's scary s**t, we're going to need a tall building and some biplanes to sort this out.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think a gorilla gets up to like, 300 kgs max? So like 600 pounds-ish?

Imagine a gorilla 10x as big as the normal ones. That's scary s**t, we're going to need a tall building and some biplanes to sort this out.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No chance of this happening

GC need money, people and facilities. Nothing wrong with the list
Exactly right.

Unfortunately for them Brisbane have shown clubs the blueprint. The AFL may help them grab some good off field personnel though.

At least we won't be impacted

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
[Controversial opinion]
Hamish should go, as good as he is.

He said he would have finished up if we'd won the flag. Stayed on because he wanted to win a flag with this group. Unfinished business.

The type of mindset that has been around the club following 2005/06, 2012 and now 2017. Those 'so close' golden years that we're forever trying to recapture. Want to do it right this time but never do.

Why did he want to finish up in the first place? Has that reason disappeared?

I wonder if moving to Melbourne was the middle ground?

And he might find a club that actually picks his players. Must be frustrating.
[/controversial opinion]

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2008
East Falafel Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
[Controversial opinion]
Hamish should go, as good as he is.

He said he would have finished up if we'd won the flag. Stayed on because he wanted to win a flag with this group. Unfinished business.

The type of mindset that has been around the club following 2005/06, 2012 and now 2017. Those 'so close' golden years that we're forever trying to recapture. Want to do it right this time but never do.

Why did he want to finish up in the first place? Has that reason disappeared?

I wonder if moving Melbourne was the middle ground?

And he might find a club that actually picks his players. Must be frustrating.
[/controversial opinion]
He's waited a long time for a top 2 pick!!!

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
So really, if they want the #1 pick so bad - the best thing we could do is lose to them this weekend so they move above Carlton, we get Pick #1, and then trade it to them for Lukosious and Rankine?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So really, if they want the #1 pick so bad - the best thing we could do is lose to them this weekend so they move above Carlton, we get Pick #1, and then trade it to them for Lukosious and Rankine?
Rankine has re-signed for 2

Back