News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucked that we got forced into that three way with Richmond and West Coast. I wish they could have got Troy Simmonds to come to us directly.
Leigh Fisher was still playing for us in 2008.
McQualter was actually one of the better picks taken from a crap draft after pick 7, and hard to complain about Gwilt as a late pick. I miss his good disposal.

Matthew Fergason was no loss, Rix was only ever meant to be a backup ruck. ( no worse than Longer in hind sight ).

Yeah, Leigh Fisher left and then was re-listed I think, not sure why.

Look, none of them were a disaster by themselves, but they added more to the lower half of the list, pushing the pre-existing lower half further into the middle, if that makes sense.

If you look at the 2004 list, it was jam packed with quality of all age groups and types, it was so well balanced. As I was trying to highlight even most of the bottom 10 players would comfortably get into our current team. Then the quality dried up year upon year and got replaced with GOPs. I'm not saying Rix was the reason it all came undone, but a ruck division of Ackland, Rix and Brooks plus Jason Blake wasn't helpful. I can count on one hand the St Kilda ruckmen who have been great for the club since I started following in 1996.

James Gwilt was good depth as well, but more of bringing in more sponge than icing or cherries.

I'm struggling to remember any moment in time where I thought Andrew McQualter was going to take our club forward, but you are right, if you look at the players after him in his draft, there aren't a lot of names that ring out as better options; could have been a great year to trade our picks for ready made players. Seems like McQualter is a better coach than a player, but of course that is with the bloody Tigers and X Clark. #bringtheboyshome

Back to better days...

The greatest game of football ever played.

George....do you want me to start crying....lol.

It's a great game.....but hard for me to watch.....the final result for that season still burns inside me.
I would happily swap the GF for Round 14.

OT, but the Rix talk reminded me of Dal's comments on sen couple of weeks back. He was asked to name 3 former teammates who did everything(and more) in pursuing an afl career. Players, who at the end of the day tried their best but just weren't good enough. His 3 nominations,

1) Rix. Supersmart, one of the best footy minds he has ever come across. Unfortunately he wasn't talented enough to convert what he had in his head into actions. These days he's a very successful corporate hotshot in NY.

2. Nick Stone. Impressed the whole playing group with his attitude and training standards. Dal reckons after his 1st season with us he was actually voted into the leadership group in 05. But the coaches overruled bcos he wasnt best 22. Interestingly he's now a multimillionaire businessman in the US. According to Dal he's by far the most successful offfield of any teammate he's had.

3. Tom Curren. OCD like in his preparation, everything from diet to training. Just wasn't skilled enough. At least he didn't die wondering.

Some interesting insights there.

OT, but the Rix talk reminded me of Dal's comments on sen couple of weeks back. He was asked to name 3 former teammates who did everything(and more) in pursuing an afl career. Players, who at the end of the day tried their best but just weren't good enough. His 3 nominations,

1) Rix. Supersmart, one of the best footy minds he has ever come across. Unfortunately he wasn't talented enough to convert what he had in his head into actions. These days he's a very successful corporate hotshot in NY.

2. Nick Stone. Impressed the whole playing group with his attitude and training standards. Dal reckons after his 1st season with us he was actually voted into the leadership group in 05. But the coaches overruled bcos he wasnt best 22. Interestingly he's now a multimillionaire businessman in the US. According to Dal he's by far the most successful offfield of any teammate he's had.

3. Tom Curren. OCD like in his preparation, everything from diet to training. Just wasn't skilled enough. At least he didn't die wondering.

Some interesting insights there.
I had a soft spot for Michael Rix after I read a humorous article he wrote for the club mag once about the football boot style of various teammates. He certainly wasn't your average meathead.

And even though I did all that research before, I don't actually remember Nick Stone, not his name, his face, his number, his position, nothing, and I remember at least a little bit of most of our players over the last 20 years. Did he actually play any games for us?

Glad it's working out for those guys in any case.

I had a soft spot for Michael Rix after I read a humorous article he wrote for the club mag once about the football boot style of various teammates. He certainly wasn't your average meathead.

And even though I did all that research before, I don't actually remember Nick Stone, not his name, his face, his number, his position, nothing, and I remember at least a little bit of most of our players over the last 20 years. Did he actually play any games for us?

Glad it's working out for those guys in any case.

Yup when dal mentioned him i scratched my head a bit. Sounded familiar but i couldnt put a face to him. Thought he was at west coast but thats another Nick Stone. Had to look it up. Played 3 games for us after coming from Hawthorn.

This article is 2 yrs old and since then I've heard his business has tripled in size.

Is it just me or does there appear to be a bit of animosity & awkwardness between Robbo & Anthony Hudson on AFL360?
Yeah, they haven't liked each other for a very long time. I remember back in 2012 when they had a bit of an argument on air, seems like they haven't sorted out their differences;

Yeah, they haven't liked each other for a very long time. I remember back in 2012 when they had a bit of an argument on air, seems like they haven't sorted out their differences;

That is funny & at the same time unprofessional. On one hand Hudson was incredibly argumentative for no real reason & on the other hand Robbo was Robbo (drunk). Got to lol though.

That is funny & at the same time unprofessional. On one hand Hudson was incredibly argumentative for no real reason & on the other hand Robbo was Robbo (drunk). Got to lol though.
Have you seen the Cult of Robbo thread? If you watch the show every night you will love it.

Have you seen the Cult of Robbo thread? If you watch the show every night you will love it.

Yup I watch the show most nights. I’ll have to check out the cult of Robbo thread.

I actually find him quite amusing & enjoy listening to him. The only time I couldn’t stand him was when the injectors were being investigated for doping & he displayed a clear bias in their support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup I watch the show most nights. I’ll have to check out the cult of Robbo thread.

I actually find him quite amusing & enjoy listening to him. The only time I couldn’t stand him was when the injectors were being investigated for doping & he displayed a clear bias in their support.

It's a laugh if you just imagine that he's drunk every night...which is probably true anyway

It was a giggle 🤭

I try to like Robbo but sometimes it’s just really hard

It shows how good Gerard and robbo are together. I like huddo and I like robbo but together they are poor - too competitive with each other. I guess it must be weird for robbo- he’s the regular, but he’s too much of a mess to take the lead role in the show, but he tries to and messes up the show

Yeah, Leigh Fisher left and then was re-listed I think, not sure why.

Look, none of them were a disaster by themselves, but they added more to the lower half of the list, pushing the pre-existing lower half further into the middle, if that makes sense.

If you look at the 2004 list, it was jam packed with quality of all age groups and types, it was so well balanced. As I was trying to highlight even most of the bottom 10 players would comfortably get into our current team. Then the quality dried up year upon year and got replaced with GOPs. I'm not saying Rix was the reason it all came undone, but a ruck division of Ackland, Rix and Brooks plus Jason Blake wasn't helpful. I can count on one hand the St Kilda ruckmen who have been great for the club since I started following in 1996.

James Gwilt was good depth as well, but more of bringing in more sponge than icing or cherries.

I'm struggling to remember any moment in time where I thought Andrew McQualter was going to take our club forward, but you are right, if you look at the players after him in his draft, there aren't a lot of names that ring out as better options; could have been a great year to trade our picks for ready made players. Seems like McQualter is a better coach than a player, but of course that is with the bloody Tigers and X Clark. #bringtheboyshome

GT must have been ahead of his time. His plan was for Ackland to ruck , and Rix to play VFL. ( others to relief ruck ).
It was only when Hackland left , we got injured Garndiner and old man Clark , that Rix ended up playing most weeks.

It sucked that we got forced into that three way with Richmond and West Coast. I wish they could have got Troy Simmonds to come to us directly.
Leigh Fisher was still playing for us in 2008.
McQualter was actually one of the better picks taken from a crap draft after pick 7, and hard to complain about Gwilt as a late pick. I miss his good disposal.

Matthew Fergason was no loss, Rix was only ever meant to be a backup ruck. ( no worse than Longer in hind sight ).

We didn’t have the cap space to sign Simmonds... Richmond offered him a heap more than we did.

Unfortunate as he would have fitted what we needed perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back