Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been established definitively that Rowe actually said that? Has someone got an actual transcript of what he exactly said or is this someone said that someone said that Rowe said... type thing.

meh...I'm finding it hard to be outraged by that Rowe comment. Advocating putting some hurt on a a player that is carving you up has been standard footy fare for generations.

Half this board has been saying similar stuff about Betts for years.

Half this board has been saying similar stuff about Betts for years.
On a free to air broadcast while being paid to do it?

I'm not outraged at what Stupid allegedly said but the fact that this arseclown continues to be paid for this type of dribble just highlights what a pissant town #cringelaide is

I phoned 5AA this afternoon to get information on lodging a complaint should the comment be correct. I mentioned the comment to the receptionist.. The response I got was (1) Laughter then (2) a comment, i know him, that's Rowie , but he's a nice guy". Appears the radio station considers it a joke. It just strengthens my resolve.

There appears to be people posting here who seem to also consider that comment is acceptable under the circumstances of calling a football game. That it is not citing violence. If you don't like it, turn off. etc
Really !!!! Am I living in the twilight zone.

To those people. Threebquestions
(1) Where do you personally draw the line ? What comment in the media becomes not acceptable ?
(2) Is there a difference if that comment was printed in say The Advertiser rather than stated on radio? Surely, there cannot be any difference : media is the media.
(3) If it was a comment directed to YOUR son or your child, would you have a different view?

I will separately identify outside of BF on what exactly was said to be word for word perfect.
If the comment was actually stated, I will be making a formal complaint to the radio station if nothing else so that bastard is put on notice for future.I will demand a rely that could be submitted to ACMA.

Never in a million years would I have thought any Port supporter would have considered that media comment to be somewhat insignificant or over the top. Shame. Shame.

I phoned 5AA this afternoon to get information on lodging a complaint should the comment be correct. I mentioned the comment to the receptionist.. The response I got was (1) Laughter then (2) a comment, i know him, that's Rowie , but he's a nice guy". Appears the radio station considers it a joke. It just strengthens my resolve.

There appears to be people posting here who seem to also consider that comment is acceptable under the circumstances of calling a football game. That it is not citing violence. If you don't like it, turn off. etc

(1) Where do you personally draw the line ? What comment in the media becomes not acceptable ?
(2) Is there a difference if that comment was printed in say The Advertiser rather than stated on radio? Surely, there cannot be any difference : media is the media.
(3) If it was a comment directed to YOUR son or your child, would you have a different view?

I will separately identify outside of BF on what exactly was said to be word for word perfect.
If the comment was actually stated, I will be making a formal complaint to the radio station if nothing else so that bastard is put on notice for future.I will demand a rely that could be submitted to ACMA.

Never in a million years would I have thought any Port supporter would have considered that media comment to be somewhat insignificant or over the top. Shame. Shame.

Calm down Doris.

Calm down Doris.

On this issue.......NO.

I believe he violated his duty and obligation to both the listening public and to his employer, let alone breaching the code of practice. You can suit yourself what you do mate.
I'm not waiting to hear the next outrageous comment, whatever that be. If your personal choice is to do nothing, fine. But in the future, don't complain about comments you hear on the radio.
We are talking about a man in is his 50s who is paid to be a professional who basically says whatever he likes, with immunity and in doing so, considers all us total fools for enabling him to do so. I will not calm down, and I will not let it go. I'll leave that to other people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hyperbole FFS. He wasn't actually hoping for Robbie to 'piss blood'.

He'll, i once posted on here that I hope Joel Selwood gets AIDS. Since apparently this is something that now needs to be cleared up, I don't actually hope Joel Selwood gets AIDS. I was just very angry that night.

As far as I can tell he definitely made the comment. I didn't hear it myself, but I tuned in to 5aa on Monday or Tuesday night (Timmy Ginever is on this week) and the issue was raised because there had been some comments about it on social media. When they spoke to Graham Cornes he agreed that Rowe had made the comments during his call of the game in the heat of the moment.

My thoughts on it - Rowe is calling the game in his capacity as a professional (?) commentator, not doing a press red for Rowie or barracking from the outer. He should be judged the same as any other professional commentator. Imagine if Eddie McGuire, while calling a Collingwood game, had made those same comments about an opposition player. As it is, he has been stopped from calling Collingwood games just because of a perceived bias, but I have never heard him say anything quite like this.

Pretty well all commentators have their particular team that they follow, but I have never heard any of them suggest inflicting physical injury on an opposition player. Rowe should be held to the same standards as every other commentator, not just have it brushed off as 'oh that's just Rowie'. I have listened to Tredders and Tim Ginever call Port games, both about as passionate about Port as you can get, never make comments like that.

Jay Schulz and Jasper would know all about the effect of that sort of injury too.

It's hyperbole FFS. He wasn't actually hoping for Robbie to 'piss blood'.

He'll, i once posted on here that I hope Joel Selwood gets AIDS. Since apparently this is something that now needs to be cleared up, I don't actually hope Joel Selwood gets AIDS. I was just very angry that night.

Of course he didn't mean it. I know that. Give me a break.
Its not about whether he meant it. It is about he said it

Its a question of principle. The comment is not appropriate to be said (by most people's definition) on commercial radio by a mature sports commentator who is supposed to be impartial. If there is no complaint, nothing will happen, we will all be considered bloody mugs for remaining silent (and we are) and so it continues to the next match. Some people may feed off such comments as a lark. Others prefer to listen to a game without commentator bias or incendiary comments.

Do you consider Robbie and the club deserve an apology ?
Any player would no matter who they play for. Do you think an on air apology will be forthcoming without complaints being lodged to the station.

It is fine for different opinions. Some people act on a principle and others see no principle to be acted upon. I get that..

You may have made comment on BF on Selwood or whoever, whenever for whatever. But you were (1) not being paid for your comment, (2) you were posting as a Port supporter using a suitable PA platform to vent with all readers understanding your anger at the time. The point i am making is you and others able to make comment on this forum because as far as I know, it allows a rather broad brush stroke of comment. One of the purposes of BF is to allow people to vent. However, the same thing cannot be said for live to air commercial radio. There is a strict commercial radio code of practice and as an employee of the station, there is also an employee code of conduct. Big difference in the two scenarios. We are not comparing one orange to another orange. One of them is a lemon.

If my post on this matter comes over strong it is only because I feel strongly about this. When /if the time comes to lodge a complaint, all emotion will be replaced by fact. Without actual evidence of the alleged comment, I am hoping my son who works in the radio industry is able to get for me the full broadcast of what was said and when it was said. Without that, I cannot act.

Let's agree to disagree.

Rowe's reaction on live radio is one of the reasons I wish port to dominate the AFL for a long period of time. These types of outbursts make me smile. Our team playing well did that and I want to hear more.

If our team is not playing well and he makes similar outbursts because well why not, he got away with it before, will it still make you smile'??? Will you want to heat more ???

Tredders bows to Ports supporters after kicking a goal = enormous widespread outrage for reasons
Stupid while calling a game on radio as a paid media professional says the Crows need to hurt Robbie Gray so he pisses blood = crickets

Never change #cringelaide

In what world does anybody think Stephen Rowe, Graham Cornes, Channel 7, the Advertiser or just about every media organisation in this state/country is unbiased? We have a long standing thread dedicated to it.... this one. If you're going to lose your mind every time Rowe says something dumb, ill informed, biased or just downright stupid you would have been admitted years ago.

There's been far more damaging stuff waged against our club by these idiots, this is really pretty mild.

Lil Pear1870 appears to be. Hey maybe Im out of step, perhaps Robbie is distraught with what Rowie said and has flung his 5th Showdown medal into the Port River, they may all be having counselling down at Alberton as we speak., demanding some sort of meaningless apology.... but somehow I doubt it.

I actually don't mind Rowe, he's more what you see is what you get. Sure he's no supporter of the PAFC but if anyone of us spoke live on the radio as much as he did we'd all say something that would upset someone eventually.

Dickley on the other hand is two-faced and about as trustworthy as a Pedo in a kindergarten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back