It's never as good, never as bad
We're writing our own story
Let the cobblers do the cobbling
It's an incredibly even competition
Confidence comes from action

I understand all those

It's a moving feast - not sure even Ross understands that one

But this one:
You can't be defined by results - what does he actually mean by this?
Surely that's the sole aim? Improving results? That one always baffles me

how so?

you can debate about game plan and structure.

Yet most part of the Ross Lyon era, we sruggle up forward with tall forwards besides pav.

Then we got Lobb and Hogan in the off season.

I'm speaking about Ross and Belly not really being that strong with their messaging about not serving up what we did the last two weeks.

It might be different to what is happening internally but other clubs that have been in similar situations tend to more outwardly show that they are going to stand for losses like our last two games.

So,

You're only as good as your next moment
It's never as good, never as bad
We're writing our own story
Let the cobblers do the cobbling
It's an incredibly even competition
Confidence comes from action

I understand all those

It's a moving feast - not sure even Ross understands that one

But this one:
You can't be defined by results - what does he actually mean by this?
Surely that's the sole aim? Improving results? That one always baffles me
Giving him the benefit of the doubt I think he is trying to say that you can’t be defined by any individual result. Which is, of course, nonsense. Single incidents become defining attributes all the time. Whether or not they should is a whole other matter.

Think he’s just floundering a bit. Seems to be grasping at platitudes.

Considering what Collingwood and GWS have served up since we beat them those wins aren't looking anywhere near as impressive. Pies are in a huge form slump and GWS are not performing anywhere near the level of the list they have.
Personally a win against Hawks in Tas would go a long way to keeping me happy a bit longer. Hawthorn are the very definition and symbol of what is wrong with Lyon as a coach.
Exactly as with the Eagles he just tries to play the same game over and over and over and somehow expects a different result.
To see him try something different and get a win would be huge as I'm expecting another 10 goal belting.

I'm speaking about Ross and Belly not really being that strong with their messaging about not serving up what we did the last two weeks.

It might be different to what is happening internally but other clubs that have been in similar situations tend to more outwardly show that they are going to stand for losses like our last two games.

Depends on which team you are though. We are bad at the moment but no where near as bad as Demons of 2013 under Mark Neeld.

I still think we will put up a solid 1st half vs hawks then fade in the 2nd half.

I think were are gearing up for the more winnable games like the swans at home this week which I see winning.

Considering what Collingwood and GWS have served up since we beat them those wins aren't looking anywhere near as impressive. Pies are in a huge form slump and GWS are not performing anywhere near the level of the list they have.
Personally a win against Hawks in Tas would go a long way to keeping me happy a bit longer. Hawthorn are the very definition and symbol of what is wrong with Lyon as a coach.
Exactly as with the Eagles he just tries to play the same game over and over and over and somehow expects a different result.
To see him try something different and get a win would be huge as I'm expecting another 10 goal belting.
I get p***ed off when people bring up the derby loss, let alone the 9 game derby streak they have on us.

Its like people think they have belted us each time in that 9 game streak. We should of beaten them twice since 2016 (the early 2018 derby and the early derby this year)

The problem is these players don’t hurt enough from this. I would be making a pact to make sure We did everything we could to make sure we never lose to these pricks again

Another cringeworthy presser from Flossy today.

I’m suspecting a low key Statement of Lyons departure a week or two before trade week in early October.

Another cringeworthy presser from Flossy today.

I’m suspecting a low key Statement of Lyons departure a week or two before trade week in early October.

We are going to get belted vs the hawks this week. have a competitive 1st half then get blown away in the 2nd half we will kick 5-8 goals.

I still see us grinding out a win vs the swans the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is going to happen this year unless there is a major spill.
It will cost the club too much to part ways with Lyon and if they do, Rosich will be the one responsible and his position would become untenable.
That means he is going to back the coach to the hilt for at least another year so can’t see how a change will happen.

As much as Ross seems totally "Tefal" to his own situation we can't ignore we simply haven't progressed in the last two years
Our first round draft pick from 2018h hasn't hit the field.
Neither has our second round draft pick.
We surely aren't in the position to be picking project players

When it comes down to it...he seems unable to produce a gameplay that counteracts opponents.

When we go behind we struggle.

When opponents come from behind (29 points v Carlton) we struggle

The only question should be ...who is better who is available?

If you had a team of under 18s playing against the AFL team at the top, what will happen? Geelong (in this instance) would beat the snot out of them. Supposing that same u18s side was a captains pick of the best under 18s from across the country, Geelong would still beat the snot out of them.

Same with an under 19s, an under 20s and probably an under 21s team of the countries best footy players.

An AFL club running at it's peak has plenty of skills (even if it isn't the pick of the land - like GWS were/are). It has maturity and experience. The players aren't their skinny weedy selves when they were young and have worked on their core strength, fitness and recovery at a professional level for many years. But importantly, the main part of the list has played together for a long time and know what to expect from each other when in a tight situation with scarcely a second to evaluate and get the ball to someone advantageously before you get gang tackled - the player you pass to might not have been in your field of vision but you turn and pass because you expect them there - and they are and you know your team mates voices over all the screaming and yelling at a game.

The coach you have is a layer on top of all of this, Clarkson would be almost unanimously agreed as the THE coach in AFL, yet his Hawks are 13th on the ladder. Even with his coaching nous, his list isn't in a position to be at the top of the ladder.

At Freo, it is not a settled and experienced band of brothers out there, it is something only fixed with time, couple that with plenty of them being kids still and years away from their personal peak footy, kids being developed at AFL level instead of in the magoos. If we dumped Ross tomorrow and picked up Clarkson, he would have the same basic issue here that he is having at Hawthorn currently - the playing list is not in a window to seriously challenge the competition. It would just be setting up petitions to sack Clarkson instead.

Last edited:
If you had a team of under 18s playing against the AFL team at the top, what will happen? Geelong (in this instance) would beat the snot out of them. Supposing that same u18s side was a captains pick of the best under 18s from across the country, Geelong would still beat the snot out of them.

Same with an under 19s, an under 20s and probably an under 21s team of the countries best footy players.

An AFL club running at it's peak has plenty of skills (even if it isn't the pick of the land - like GWS were/are). It has maturity and experience. The players aren't their skinny weedy selves when they were young and have worked on their core strength, fitness and recovery at a professional level for many years. But importantly, the main part of the list has played together for a long time and know what to expect from each other when in a tight situation with scarcely a second to evaluate and get the ball to someone advantageously before you get gang tackled - the player you pass to might not have been in your field of vision but you turn and pass because you expect them there - and they are and you know your team mates voices over all the screaming and yelling at a game.

The coach you have is a layer on top of all of this, Clarkson would be almost unanimously agreed as the THE coach in AFL, yet his Hawks are 13th on the ladder. Even with his coaching nous, his list isn't in a position to be at the top of the ladder.

At Freo, it is not a settled and experienced band of brothers out there, it is something only fixed with time, couple that with plenty of them being kids still and years away from their personal peak footy, kids being developed at AFL level instead of in the magoos. If we dumped Ross tomorrow and picked up Clarkson, he would have the same basic issue here that he is having at Hawthorn currently - the playing list is not in a window to seriously challenge the competition. It would just be setting up petitions to sack Clarkson instead.

Agree.

But can Ross coach a style of footy that can win a GF?

I don't think he can.

Agree.

But can Ross coach a style of footy that can win a GF?

I don't think he can.
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds when you are talking about someone who has literally drawn a GF that would have been a 5 point win if not for a bounce of the ball?

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds when you are talking about someone who has literally drawn a GF that would have been a 5 point win if not for a bounce of the ball?
I think the game has changed away from his style of footy, and his style of football leaves people tired and sore in finals or injured.

Agree, he could have won 2 gf except for a bad bounce and some bad kicking.

Longmuir has won a gf, and i don't think he will win another.

Jose Mourinho has won multiple titles , but he has not moved with the times and has been left behind. I think Ross is the same.

I think the game has changed away from his style of footy, and his style of football leaves people tired and sore in finals or injured.

Agree, he could have won 2 gf except for a bad bounce and some bad kicking.

Longmuir has won a gf, and i don't think he will win another.

Jose Mourinho has won multiple titles , but he has not moved with the times and has been left behind. I think Ross is the same.
How does that line up with this year being extremely low scoring?

What specifically about his style do you think has been combated?

How does that line up with this year being extremely low scoring?

What specifically about his style do you think has been combated?
Still bombing the ball down the line, poor forward 50 entries, letting all out players get sucked into a stoppages leaving 4 opposition players free to break free from the contest.

The inability to control the footy for 3 or 4 mins, means we need to work very hard to get the ball back.

In short, I would like a coach that plays an uncontested style of footy for periods of the game

Still bombing the ball down the line, poor forward 50 entries, letting all out players get sucked into a stoppages leaving 4 opposition players free to break free from the contest.

The inability to control the footy for 3 or 4 mins, means we need to work very hard to get the ball back.
So you think all of those things are instructions from Ross?

If so, how did you come to that conclusion?

In short, I would like a coach that plays an uncontested style of footy for periods of the game
It is certainly effective if done well, but it relies heavily on having a team that can all (well majority) kick. If you try and do it without the personel it isn't effective. Not sure we currently have the list to do it all the time.

We do have periods against certain teams where we try and retain the ball. I don't have nearly enough faith that we can do it for 120 minutes under high pressure.

Last edited:
Back