Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Clarkson is on the money though or has developed some form of delusion as to how far off we're though remains to be seen.
As I said earlier, every coach that is pitching for Cogs will be saying roughly the same thing (minus the bit about a three peat).

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
The saints are offering him 1.65M over 8 years, far more financially secure then anywhere else. In Melbourne’s bayside as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think hannebury might cost you cognilio. Surely the best Melbourne club for him is Carlton, they aren't that far short, percentage of 80 shows they are actually a fair bit better than last year.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I... um. You have every right to believe what your club sends to its members, but not even Clarkson would come out and say bad things about his club if he has any intention of keeping his job, attracting talented players to the club or keeping the members happy.
Are you for real. You talk as if Clarko is like a Worsfold, Richardson or Cameron where he is desperate to hold onto his job. Clarko does not give a s##t about his job he has clearly stated on numerous occasions that the club is bigger than any individual including himself and that he would walk if he thought that the club was not heading in the right direction towards more silverware and if the club came and tapped him on the shoulder so be it. He would also never jump ship as a contract is a contract. He has also said that once his Hawks coaching is done he would most likely move onto something else in life other than coaching.

If he stopped coaching today he would still go down as one of the best ever coaches. Can’t believe how many BF buffoons take Clarko’s word with a grain of salt ..... he is a man of his word and never speaks rubbish. The vibe and confidence of what he has been conveying to members on the timing of his plan has been consistent over the last month. He has always put his balls on the line and always delivered so why wouldn’t Hawk fans be excited.

Last edited:
Are you for real. You talk as if Clarko is like a Worsfold, Richardson or Cameron where he is desperate to hold onto his job. Clarko does not give a s##t about his job he has clearly stated on numerous occasions that the club is bigger than any individual including himself and that he would walk if he thought that the club was not heading in the right direction towards more silverware and if the club came and tapped him on the shoulder so be it. He would also never jump ship as a contract is a contract. He has also said that once his Hawks coaching is done he would move onto something else in life other than coaching.

If he stopped coaching today he would still go down as one of the best ever coaches. Can’t believe how many BF buffoons take Clarko’s word with a grain of salt ..... he is a man of his word and never speaks rubbish. The vibe and confidence of what he has been conveying to members on the timing of his plan has been consistent over the last month. He has always put his balls on the line and always delivered so why wouldn’t Hawk fans be excited.
Yes, I'm for real. I have no doubt Clarkson believes what he says, or that you do. That doesn't mean the rest of us are obliged to, and that includes Coniglio.

As Clarko has said recently Hawks are not far off it, gap between the best teams and bottom 8 is the closest he has ever seen and Hawks are building towards another shot in 2-3 years. Fine you think that Clarko speaks s##t ..... I don’t!
The run home might show where you are at, Round 21 against GWS will give Cogs a close look at his mates at Hawthorn.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The run home might show where you are at, Round 21 against GWS will give Cogs a close look at his mates at Hawthorn.
Hopefully the performances of his mates over the last couple of weeks and when he actually played them at the G the last time has shown him enough that the Hawks are tracking well for next year and beyond.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
I think hannebury might cost you cognilio. Surely the best Melbourne club for him is Carlton, they aren't that far short, percentage of 80 shows they are actually a fair bit better than last year.

No way recruiters are that short sighted, Hanners is injured Cogs is not. Cogs is 26, Hanners is broken. Cogs is better that Hanners by leaps and bounds.

I agree that he will play for Carlton if he leaves the Giants. I think he will stay with GWS.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you don’t think that the competition is the closest it’s ever been and that teams can rise quickly with a couple of additions and a good run of form?

I mean this has basically become fact over the last 3 years.

Let’s not pretend like Clarkson is saying something that only Hawthorn supporters would believe.
I'm responding to someone who says that Clarkson saying that;
a) the top and bottom of the ladder is closer together than ever, and
b) Hawthorn will have another crack at it in the next 2-3 years

Is a reason why Coniglio would choose Hawthorn. And that everyone else in the world should believe it too apparently, with not even a grain of salt.

The problem is that those two things apply to pretty much every club. Every coach who wants Cogs will be saying that they're in their window. Most of the ones that aren't trying to recruit Cogs are saying the same thing. And if Clarkson is right that the bottom is closer to the top than ever, then there are 17 other clubs that are closer to each other than ever as well.

It is not a good argument for this thread.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Pfft 8 years. In 8 years' time he will be 34.

West Coast would make sure he is looked after for the next 50 years.

lol at 1.65m per year over 8 years he would be set for life by 34..

after tax/management fees he would get around 6.5mil, say he spends 1.5mil over 8 years on bills + dumb s**t (187.5k per year) that's 5mil to buy houses/investments etc.

Drop 1.5m on his primary home and grab 2 or 3 houses (500k-750k each) to rent at 500pw. he would still have around 2mil for a range of investments.

This was the quote. "gap between the best teams and bottom 8 is the closest he has ever seen"

That's a very common thought amongst every footy follower I'd have thought. Almost every side is a chance of a win each week these days. Footy tipping has become near impossible.

Hawthorn's average losing margin is under 17pts this year, despite losing their best player in January, and then relying on JOM and an 11 gamer to pick up the slack while Shiels and Burgoyne sat in the stands for a month...

Is it really that unfathomable that Hawthorn are capable of improving on this within 2-3 years with the best coach in the comp?

Of course it's a reason for players to join Hawthorn. How anyone can deny that Clarkson is a massive drawcard is beyond me.

A 4 time premiership coach who says "I reckon we're working our way towards that next flag" carries a tonne more weight than a bloke who doesn't know what a premiership team looks like.

They simply don't though, because even if we overlook club culture and system a fair slab of coaches in charge of clubs at the moment have questions hanging over their futures and coaching ability - Hinkley, Richardson, Pyke, Worsfold, Goodwin, Cameron...

Yes, but if you've got 17 people applying for a role, do you just accept that they're all equal candidates because they have the same title, or do you check out their background and see what they've achieved in their career?

With Clarkson still at the helm, the idea of Hawthorn contending again in 2-3 years with a couple of additions really shouldn't be met with so much derision.
And the top and the bottom are so close to each other because Clarkson is the only competent coach?

As I've said about 8 times, you're welcome to believe that. In fact, you're encouraged to believe it. If a Hawthorn supporter didn't believe in his club and his coach I'd be worried.

But I don't have to and I'm not going to, and I dare say many other people won't buy into it either. It's not a pre-requisite of this thread to believe that 17 other clubs are nowhere near as good as Hawthorn but also not much better than Hawthorn depending on which one makes Hawthorn look better.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You have a young list with key pillars at either end lacking midfield depth. You have a team starved of success so winning with them he would be a legend to the blues.

On the other hand you have a team who has had sustained success and is in a bit of a limbo with the direction they want to go (top up or bottom out and rebuild). A premiership to hawks fans now he wouldn't be seen as a legend like your Hodges, Mitchell etc

My post wasnt aimed at slaying the hawks it's common sense from the general public that the blues would be the better option but the hawks would be mad not to have a good crack at him

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You have a young list with key pillars at either end lacking midfield depth. You have a team starved of success so winning with them he would be a legend to the blues.

On the other hand you have a team who has had sustained success and is in a bit of a limbo with the direction they want to go (top up or bottom out and rebuild). A premiership to hawks fans now he wouldn't be seen as a legend like your Hodges, Mitchell etc

My post wasnt aimed at slaying the hawks it's common sense from the general public that the blues would be the better option but the hawks would be mad not to have a good crack at him
Irony with Carlton's list is this. Tell me what happens when blokes like Simpson, Thomas, Kreuzer, Murphy etc all retire. People bang on about our experienced guys, but this is just as bad.

Anyway, this thread has just turned into potting the Hawthorn list 24/7.

Back to Cogs. The longer this drags on, the more likely he's leaving. Blind Freddy knows that Hawthorn are up to their eyeballs in this. Tick tock.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Irony with Carlton's list is this. Tell me what happens when blokes like Simpson, Thomas, Kreuzer, Murphy etc all retire. People bang on about our experienced guys, but this is just as bad.

Anyway, this thread has just turned into potting the Hawthorn list 24/7.

Back to Cogs. The longer this drags on, the more likely he's leaving. Blind Freddy knows that Hawthorn are up to their eyeballs in this. Tick tock.

If he is loyal and wants to captain an AFL side he stays.

If he wants the best chance at a flag inside the next 3 years he goes to the Eagles.

If he wants the most coin he goes to Saint Kilda.

If he wants to play footy with his best mate he goes to the Hawks.

PS. The Hawks list is going to lose a heap of flag stars in the next 3 years, Cogs will know that. Chances are Clarkson wont be there in 3 years either. Nothing last forever.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he is loyal and wants to captain an AFL side he stays.

If he wants the best chance at a flag inside the next 3 years he goes to the Eagles.

If he wants the most coin he goes to Saint Kilda.

If he wants to play footy with his best mate he goes to the Hawks.

PS. The Hawks list is going to lose a heap of flag stars in the next 3 years, Cogs will know that. Chances are Clarkson wont be there in 3 years either. Nothing last forever.
It's not that simple mate. Nothing is.

He's got a ton of business interests here in Melbourne. Some with JOM, yes. His other mate Patton may also be joining Hawthorn. Scully is also here.

Yes, there is Clarko. There is also Sam Mitchell.

Yes we have senior players retiring, but we have young guns in Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick and Impey coming through. We have Tom Mitchell returning.

We have a new world class facility being built as we speak.

We have a ton of recent success and a proven track record of going again.

Don't write off Hawthorn. It would be foolish.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not that simple mate. Nothing is.

He's got a ton of business interests here in Melbourne. Some with JOM, yes. His other mate Patton may also be joining Hawthorn. Scully is also here.

Yes, there is Clarko. There is also Sam Mitchell.

Yes we have senior players retiring, but we have young guns in Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick and Impey coming through. We have Tom Mitchell returning.

We have a new world class facility being built as we speak.

We have a ton of recent success and a proven track record of going again.

Don't write off Hawthorn. It would be foolish.

Sounds like you are convincing yourself.

Burgoyne, McEnvoy, Roughead, Pupolo, Birtchell, Stratton, Frawley, Smith, Henderson and Ceglar will be retired within 3 years. Bruest and Scully over 30 in that period. That is a massive list of quality ending or close to the end. Massive.

What will be will be.

Kelly to the Eagles will likely rule out Cogs anyway.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sounds like you are convincing yourself.

Burgoyne, McEnvoy, Roughead, Pupolo, Birtchell, Stratton, Frawley, Smith, Henderson and Ceglar will be retired within 3 years. Bruest and Scully over 30 in that period. That is a massive list of quality ending or close to the end. Massive.
Same could be said of most teams.

Eagles - Hurn, Jetta, Kennedy, Masten, Redden, Shuey & NicNat.......
That's massive too. Take Kennedy out & who will dominate your forward line.

Anyway like you said....key sera sera...

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Same could be said of most teams.

Eagles - Hurn, Jetta, Kennedy, Masten, Redden, Shuey & NicNat.......
That's massive too. Take Kennedy out & who will dominate your forward line.

Anyway like you said....key sera sera...

Except the Eagles went and smashed the last two drafts with multiple picks.

Hurn - Rotham debuted this season after 3 years developing, Duggan another.

Jetta - Cole already has a flag, Francis Watson is Jetta's replacement, the indigenous boys rank him the best in their group.

Kennedy - Drafted Oscar Allen, Brander and also Williams (forward /ruck). To support Darling who plays better when JK is out. Also have Waterman as a 3rd forward. Eagles tall forwards are set for the next 10 years mate.

Masten - LOL. Petrucelle will take his wing next season.

Redden 29 - solid B grade role player. Sheed is 24 you may have heard of him.

Shuey 29 - gun hence why Kelly and or Cogs are in our sights. Peaking now.

Nic 29 - yep he needs to win one in the next three. Drafted Williams but there is only one Nic Naitanui.

Added Rioli, Ryan and Cameron. So small forwards and half forwards set.

McGovern and Barrass are 24 and 26. Beasts to hold down the backline.

One or two trades for key positions of need over the next three years isnt hard.

Eagles arent looking at a dozen new players just two or three quality ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back