Tiger Family World Cup Cricket Chat (Opposition Welcome)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I notice in your post no Australians are mentioned, and if you think I was suggesting that it doesn’t happen , you obviously don’t know anything about my posting history.

By the way we follow the most contrived competition in the world in the AFL

I am very interested as to why you say that about the AFL...

To my knowledge no Australians have ever admitted to deliberately under performing. But I have heard from very credible sources, some of which was made public and some not, that Australian players have deliberately under performed and people around the team were heavily involved. Beside that, with my own eyes I have seen many very dubious passages of play involving Australian players, increasing markedly since the IPL came into creation.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I am very interested as to why you say that about the AFL...

To my knowledge no Australians have ever admitted to deliberately under performing. But I have heard from very credible sources, some of which was made public and some not, that Australian players have deliberately under performed and people around the team were heavily involved. Beside that, with my own eyes I have seen many very dubious passages of play involving Australian players, increasing markedly since the IPL came into creation.
That’s right Australians are whiter than white , what did the Melbourne football club do if it wasn’t underperforming ?

Oh that’s right they were found not guilty by an “ independent AFL” tribunal just like the drugged players were found not guilty , that decision didn’t wash under independent scrutiny and neither did the Melbourne one after all they were fined 500 thousand after being found not guilty, coach was suspended and general manager suspended but they weren’t guilty

How do you feel about the tribunal decisions of the afl, how do you feel about multiple players betting on out comes of games they are involved in?
But yeah No Australian athlete would ever do that it’s only those pesky foreingers

Let’s continue with the uneven draw in the. AFL competition whilst we are at it

Daveeee_12

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Man Utd
Being past it doesn't make you leave balls when you need over 10 runs per over. And it doesn't stop you diving for the crease at such a "big moment."

Powers at be would never allow NZ into a WC final over India if they were fixing it.

They just did. If what you are saying was true India would win every important match they play in that is vital to progressing in a tournament and they don't.

Dhoni has been batting that way for years, nothing irregular about last night. One game, they were 9 down and he practically blocked a whole over and took a single off the last ball to retain strike for the last over where he went off.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Dhoni has been batting that way for years, nothing irregular about last night. One game, they were 9 down and he practically blocked a whole over and took a single off the last ball to retain strike for the last over where he went off.

Your post reinforces my point. Not sure that was your intention though. But let's see if we can get someone to be brave enough to answer this question:

Do you think Dhoni did his absolute best to win that match v NZ? If so, any possible explanation for leaving a ball with 31 balls left needing 53 to win?

Nov 29, 2016
The Wall
AFL Club
Richmond
Your post reinforces my point. Not sure that was your intention though. But let's see if we can get someone to be brave enough to answer this question:

Do you think Dhoni did his absolute best to win that match v NZ? If so, any possible explanation for leaving a ball with 31 balls left needing 53 to win?
Yes I do believe Dhoni did HIS best to win that match, he just didn't count on Guptill having a laser like throw. Have you watched him play cricket at all? He did the exact same thing 6 months ago against us, twice. As to why he left a ball, I'd assume because it was a good ball and he didn't want to risk himself going out doing something stupid.

Daveeee_12

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Man Utd
Yes I do believe Dhoni did HIS best to win that match, he just didn't count on Guptill having a laser like throw. Have you watched him play cricket at all? He did the exact same thing 6 months ago against us, twice. As to why he left a ball, I'd assume because it was a good ball and he didn't want to risk himself going out doing something stupid.

I think it was just to get Jadeja back on strike to start the next over. Think they had already got 10 or 11 off the over.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

It would be fair to say I have just about watched the whole of Dhoni's career, and was a huge admirer and defender of his until a year or two into the IPL when his approach to cricket changed from admirable to at times baffling. I am no longer baffled. The reason he left the ball is because he didn't want to score from it, there is no other possible reason you leave a length ball 18 inches outside off from an average bowler with over 10 runs per over needed at that point. I mean there is a reason leaves in the final ten overs of ODI innings are/were so rare as to be virtually unknown. They confer no benefit ever when you are a set batsman of decent skill. Surely there is one other person here at least who can look at him leaving balls in that situation and say that is a seriously questionable act. By definition making no attempt to score off that ball reduced their chances of winning. So someone tell me why you would do it.

Dhoni plays for Chennai in the IPL and if you were interested in the subject you could google the sort of things that have been attributed to that franchise and their owner over the course of time. I know Dhoni has batted like this often in recent years. He has only ever explained it by using the ludicrous phrase he likes to take it deep. When you leave a ball you lose the opportunity to score from it. I do not know of any scenario in cricket where it is easier to get a target from less balls than it is to get the same target from more balls. But by saying he likes to take it deep by such actions as leaving balls or not trying to score off balls that present scoring opportunities, this is effectively what Dhoni is claiming when he says he likes to take it deep. When a person says something like that that not only makes no sense but is completely foolish on any fair analysis you know they are either trying to hide something or reveal something without saying it.

Surely someone can see that is sensible or am I the last sane person on the thread?

What would you think if a well set Australian player LEFT a ball with 31 balls left and 53 required to win in the semi final v England tomorrow? What would you really think?

It would be fair to say I have just about watched the whole of Dhoni's career, and was a huge admirer and defender of his until a year or two into the IPL when his approach to cricket changed from admirable to at times baffling. I am no longer baffled. The reason he left the ball is because he didn't want to score from it, there is no other possible reason you leave a length ball 18 inches outside off from an average bowler with over 10 runs per over needed at that point. I mean there is a reason leaves in the final ten overs of ODI innings are/were so rare as to be virtually unknown. They confer no benefit ever when you are a set batsman of decent skill. Surely there is one other person here at least who can look at him leaving balls in that situation and say that is a seriously questionable act. By definition making no attempt to score off that ball reduced their chances of winning. So someone tell me why you would do it.

Dhoni plays for Chennai in the IPL and if you were interested in the subject you could google the sort of things that have been attributed to that franchise and their owner over the course of time. I know Dhoni has batted like this often in recent years. He has only ever explained it by using the ludicrous phrase he likes to take it deep. When you leave a ball you lose the opportunity to score from it. I do not know of any scenario in cricket where it is easier to get a target from less balls than it is to get the same target from more balls. But by saying he likes to take it deep by such actions as leaving balls or not trying to score off balls that present scoring opportunities, this is effectively what Dhoni is claiming when he says he likes to take it deep. When a person says something like that that not only makes no sense but is completely foolish on any fair analysis you know they are either trying to hide something or reveal something without saying it.

Surely someone can see that is sensible or am I the last sane person on the thread?

What would you think if a well set Australian player LEFT a ball with 31 balls left and 53 required to win in the semi final v England tomorrow? What would you really think?

That he’s not trying to throw his wicket away with 6 down :eyes:

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it was just to get Jadeja back on strike to start the next over. Think they had already got 10 or 11 off the over.

Only you wouldn't leave it, you would try to hit a 2 or a 4, and if only a single was available maybe you wouldn't run. So none of that makes any sense at all, how many runs you have got so far from an over is irrelevant to the equation you are facing. Are people being serious here or are you all conspiring to have a lend of me? I have read some of the responses to this to friends involved in the cricket betting industry and they cannot believe that people are trying to defend something as blatant as this. I had to refer it to others because I thought I must be losing the plot.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
If you think everybody else is insane, maybe it's actually you that's the one who's struggling to remain sane... leave it alone. We see your point, you've made your point over and over, there's no point re-iterating it, so leave it be.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

People are disagreeing with me but engaging on this subject. You refer me to your earlier post as if it has some sort of authority that I should respect. Why?

And leave telling me to leave it alone alone, you add nothing to the conversation by trying to silence a person with whom you don't agree. Make a substantive point, or ignore my posts, but I do not recognise you as any sort of thread policeman and nor should I.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
because the thread is a much nicer place to be when you're not posting walls of text amounting to "the players and administrators of the game are on the take" over and over and over again. If a specific person disagrees with you they should take it to a different thread that discusses that subject specifically, imho.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
because the thread is a much nicer place to be when you're not posting walls of text amounting to "the players and administrators of the game are on the take" over and over and over again. If a specific person disagrees with you they should take it to a different thread that discusses that subject specifically, imho.

Nice to see your opinion morph into a humble one now. Thank you, your points are noted, and I won't be taking your guidance here. I made the claim, people engaged including wanting to know how I could justify the view, I have provided explanations. If you don't like it, simply don't read my posts, I will not hold that against you.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
of course I'm no authority on this forum, but maybe if you hear some of the negative feedback to your posts rather than people just totally ignoring your posts, you'll realise you're beating down a door that almost nobody is on the other side of :)

Have fun with your conspiracy beliefs. I'll continue to enjoy the cricket, even if you think I'm deluding myself to do so.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
LOL, unless you have a financial vested interest in the game, no one gives two s**ts if a player leaves a ball late in the innnings.

Second time you have lost the plot over an Indian loss MR.

Just fyi I have not bet on either match. In fact I no longer bet on cricket full stop, I am not so foolish to think others I am betting against might know the result in advance and still risk my money betting against them. I am merely pointing out something really obvious to give people an easily understood example of cricket corruption.

Funny it seems it is not so easily understood as I thought. :drunk:

Just fyi I have not bet on either match. In fact I no longer bet on cricket full stop, I am not so foolish to think others I am betting against might know the result in advance and still risk my money betting against them. I am merely pointing out something really obvious to give people an easily understood example of cricket corruption.

Listen mate piss off with your “I’m smarter than everyone else” bullshit. You’re just acting like a flog now

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton

They lost, there was no corruption or else Dhoni wouldn't have tried that square cut for 6 in the second last over, if India wanted to lose they would've teed off and got rolled for 120, not perform a rescue mission and get within striking distance at the end.

Nov 29, 2016
The Wall
AFL Club
Richmond

Next thing you're going to tell me is that the Earth is flat and that immunisations cause autism. Is there a board here somewhere for conspiracies?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Australians wouldn’t do that;)

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Do you bet on AFL?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Next thing you're going to tell me is that the Earth is flat and that immunisations cause autism. Is there a board here somewhere for conspiracies?

Yeah there is a board for that, it’s called the Essendon board

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
They lost, there was no corruption or else Dhoni wouldn't have tried that square cut for 6 in the second last over, if India wanted to lose they would've teed off and got rolled for 120, not perform a rescue mission and get within striking distance at the end.

I am pleased you posted that because it allows me to explain some subtleties of betting related corruption and cricket. It is not as I think you seem to be imagining it, though your view is based on a very common misconception. Say I know NZ are going to win. I don't know what odds they were pre match, let us say $4. Say I know they are going to win in advance, I back them for $1k and win $3k. And spend the day on the beach. Corruption in cricket once worked pretty much like that. Now there are massive and liquid in running markets where odds fluctuate every ball. The more times you can get odds fluctuations in a match when knowing the eventual result, if you know in advance play by play more or less, your $1k will make you many multiples higher than the $3k you make just by backing NZ pre match. So in a corrupt scenario, of course they will be looking for rallies from the losing team, these are worth huge money! Happy to explain this further if people want the boring detail of how you would back and lay your way to a massively positive book from the $1k starting bank.

So if an expert punter knew the result in advance, the low NZ score is a huge money maker, Jadeja-Dhoni stand a huge money maker, the Dhoni square cut 6 a decent money maker. And all the other things that make the odds fluctuate within the match.

Back