List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It really is absurd to think that the ongoing patterns of behaviour that occur on a footy field are not related to the coaches instructions.

You're using an extreme view point (using words like 'everything' & 'ever') to try make a point but it clearly makes sense that Ross would have an influence over things like continually bombing it long.
I'm not sure it's valid to criticise a post for containing words like everything & ever when that same critical post then uses the word continually.

Better team lose by less when they lose. It's a sign of competitiveness.

Take that same stat you quote and measure it against our total spread where the win is the 0 line. There is less of our result below the win line this season, hence we are trending upwards.
No you’ve just picked a subjective measure in “competitiveness” and decided that suits your agenda. Let’s use the metric the competition uses hey?

Reading the article on the back page of the West today, Looks like RTB is on very thin ice.
About 6 weeks ago, I heard Brad Hardie on 6pr say the Fremantle license holders should simply sack Lyon and instate Sumich as the coach.

I have learnt to take a pinch of salt when listening/reading/watching any WA media relative to Fremantle FC and/or Ross Lyon ... for a good reason ... it is extremely bias, publishes click bait and has been wrong so many times in the past it can't possibly be described as accurate/news/informative.

I'm not sure it's valid to criticise a post for containing words like everything & ever when that same critical post then uses the word continually.

Sure, change my wording from continually to frequently? (edit: my post now officially changed) It really doesn't change my point.

As long as we aren't getting petty with our arguments or anything hey? This should end well in a page or two then?

It still doesn't change calling someones opinions absurd when they really weren't don't you think?

About 6 weeks ago, I heard Brad Hardie on 6pr say the Fremantle license holders should simply sack Lyon and instate Sumich as the coach.

I have learnt to take a pinch of salt when listening/reading/watching any WA media relative to Fremantle FC and/or Ross Lyon ... for a good reason ... it is extremely bias, publishes click bait and has been wrong so many times in the past it can't possibly be described as accurate/news/informative.

It's a direct quote.

Reading the article on the back page of the West today, Looks like RTB is on very thin ice.
Wow, that's a credible source, it must be true :rolleyes:

Watching the boys at training today Ross is very much engaged with the group (funnily enough, including Brad Hill) and unlike some on here he hasn't thrown the towel in.

Like it or not, Ross will be our coach at the start of next year. From there, anybody's guess.

So if I can’t say we’ve stagnated this year because there are 7 games to play, probably not fair to say we’ve improved either? Or is it only ok to you to present the positive spin on things?

You asked if Freo had won more games this season and I pointed out there are still 7 to go. We win 2 or more will that be an improvement? We win 5 and make finals will that be an improvement? You can't judge the results until the race is over but I can see that doesn't suit your agenda.

You asked if Freo had won more games this season and I pointed out there are still 7 to go. We win 2 or more will that be an improvement? We win 5 and make finals will that be an improvement? You can't judge the results until the race is over but I can see that doesn't suit your agenda.
So you agree, you can’t say we’ve improved?

But yes. If we win 2 more games then by the only relevant metric, we have improved.

Last edited:
After 16 rounds ... yes.
We had 6 wins in 2018.
Irrelevant. If we win 8 games to the bye and lose all of them after it, there’s no difference from winning 4 before and 4 after.

Until we’ve won more games than last year we haven’t improved. There are 7 games to do it in, granted, but it’s starting to look increasingly unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as wins to this point of the season yes.
Losing margins yes
Change in game plan yes
What else do you want the season so far judged on.
It wouldn't matter what results have been achieved your agenda is sack the coach.
Sumich won't get the gig.;)
My agenda is for Fremantle to be the best team in the league. If the coach has to be sacked to achieve that, see ya later! If the coach to take us to that point is Sumich, welcome back!!

Irrelevant. If we win 8 games to the bye and lose all of them after it, there’s no difference from winning 4 before and 4 after.

Until we’ve won more games than last year we haven’t improved. There are 7 games to do it in, granted, but it’s starting to look increasingly unlikely.

So, if it were 2019, Round 8 and Freo was 8 wins 0 losses, I understand the logic of your argument to be, that would still be no improvement on 2018.

The facts are, after 16 rounds in 2019, Freo has 7 wins, in 2018 we had 6.
I would think that is a valid reason to say there has been an improvement.

A lot of articles I’m reading are talking about the growing number of fans calling for Lyon’s head. It’s funny, it’s like if we don’t sit silently and accept mediocrity, people start to listen!
Yes, yes, I'm sure you're right.

Two years ago I couldn't find an Eagles supporter who didn't want Simpson sacked and they were also very vocal about. Thankfully for them the Eagles hierarchy was not listening to the extraneous noise - I hope our club is as strong.

That is not to say I believe Lyon should or shouldn't be sacked - I just don't think that decision is, or should be, driven by noise - and that's all we are.

So, if it were 2019, Round 8 and Freo was 8 wins 0 losses, I understand the logic of your argument to be, that would still be no improvement on 2018.

The facts are, after 16 rounds in 2019, Freo has 7 wins, in 2018 we had 6.
I would think that is a valid reason to say there has been an improvement.
Correct! Now you’re getting it!

But in that case, I’d feel a lot more confident that a 9th win (and thus an improvement) was coming.

Yes, yes, I'm sure you're right.

Two years ago I couldn't find an Eagles supporter who didn't want Simpson sacked and they were also very vocal about. Thankfully for them the Eagles hierarchy was not listening to the extraneous noise - I hope our club is as strong.

That is not to say I believe Lyon should or shouldn't be sacked - I just don't think that decision is, or should be, driven by noise - and that's all we are.
Fair comment.

I think it would be naive to suggest that the Eagles board didn’t let the noise factor into some of their decision making though. Whether it be to make small administrational changes, changing Simpson’s KPI’s or what-not.

I don’t think supporters gain anything by being silent.

As far as wins to this point of the season yes.
Losing margins yes
Change in game plan yes
What else do you want the season so far judged on.
It wouldn't matter what results have been achieved your agenda is sack the coach.
Sumich won't get the gig.;)

Only on the Fremantle board is wanting your club not to be average for the majority of it's existence is seen as an 'agenda'.

Where the word 'agenda' apparently is some kind of bad thing.

This 'have we made progress' discussion is currently like trying to look at a blade of grass growing from different angels to see if it's grown any. We have made progress this year but the jury is still out on how much progress has been made though.

My agenda is for Fremantle to be the best team in the league. If the coach has to be sacked to achieve that, see ya later! If the coach to take us to that point is Sumich, welcome back!!

Nah your only agenda is sack Lyon and has been for a while. If we win the majority of the games to come you will still find excuses to remove him.
If your only interest was in Freo improving you would wait to see how this season finishes up.
Are you related to Sumich.;)

Only on the Fremantle board is wanting your club not to be average for the majority of it's existence is seen as an 'agenda'.

This 'have we made progress' discussion is currently like trying to look at a blade of grass growing from different angels to see if it's grown any. We have made progress this year but the jury is still out on how much progress has been made though.
My agenda is for the Fremantle football club to have the sustained success the fans deserve. We’ve been through enough. We’ve got the cattle to be a lot better than we are. Every club has injuries or some mitigating factor. Some clubs push through it and still find success, other clubs point to it and think it equates to a free hit.

Are we improving? I don’t think so, some people do, that’s fine enough to dispute that.

Are we improving as much as we should be? Are we improving as much as we could be? That’s all I care about. I don’t care if our coach is Ross Lyon or an actual Lion, if the dockers seem poised to shoot up the ladder and have success with this current group.

As of right now I just don’t see it happening under this football department.

Nah your only agenda is sack Lyon and has been for a while. If we win the majority of the games to come you will still find excuses to remove him.
If your only interest was in Freo improving you would wait to see how this season finishes up.
Are you related to Sumich.;)
If we win all our games and make finals, of course I won’t be calling for his head. If he turns it around and we start to look dangerous, keep him on I say! I know it can be difficult to separate coach from club, but I want the club to do well. Bluntly, doesn’t bother me what happens to the coach to achieve that.

I’ve reported your post by the way. You’re trying to subtly do the whole “Freagle” nonsense again with the Sumich comments. Stop trying to get the board locked please.

If you have read any of my posts my opinion was that Lyon had been given all the tools to succeed and if there wasn't Improvement shown by seasons end his contract would have to be looked at. With 7 games to go the jury is still out. The side has improved to this minute and the stats on that can't be disputed but there still is a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Back