Traded Hugh Greenwood [traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 2020 4th]

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
What would Gold Coast offer? Next year's 2nd? Adelaide might dig their heels in and demand Brisbane's first round pick though.
I think if we were looking at the brisbane pick it would be greenwood + our 2nd round for the brisbane pick. Alternatively GC might also want another player in lieu of the 2nd..maybe a riley knight type player

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What would Gold Coast offer? Next year's 2nd? Adelaide might dig their heels in and demand Brisbane's first round pick though.
Given his age and games played You would think the suns pick 49 would be enough to get it done

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Given his age and games played You would think the suns pick 49 would be enough to get it done

ahhhhhhhhahahha that is brilliant comedy.

You wouldnt get David Mackay for that pick.

You realise he was a late starter, not a late bloomer. His age is not actually a negative, because he hasnt played 10 years of AFL.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I would happily part with a mid 2nd rounder for Greenwood (25-30) range, we don't have a pick in that range at the moment, but who knows what might happen in the trade period.

Will be in his peak for another 2-3 seasons, and we need bigger bodies now over 2nd round draft talent.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would happily part with a mid 2nd rounder for Greenwood (25-30) range, we don't have a pick in that range at the moment, but who knows what might happen in the trade period.

Will be in his peak for another 2-3 seasons, and we need bigger bodies now over 2nd round draft talent.
If that's the price Adelaide were happy with, a trade involving another club could easily get done. Just as an example based on current draft hands:

WB
IN: Pick 15 + Pick 49 (1399 points)
OUT: Pick 25 + Pick 42 + Pick 43 (1529 points)

Works in favour of Gold Coast on points, and allows them to on-trade 25 to the Crows while upgrading Pick 49 to become 42 + 43, giving more than enough points to pay for Budarick, so long as he's bid after Pick 18 (which should happen)

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
He's a handy player who can go forward and take a grab and kick you a goal a game type of thing and is a good tackler and a reasonable clearance player but very very slow and is quite often exposed by his man running forward.

If he leaves will certainly get picked up but can't see any of the real challengers having a big interest.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Worth a late second 25-35.

Good insticts and quite a good midfielder but very slow.
A lot better, younger midfielders around than him and although not a heap of mileage he will still be 28 years old when the season begins next year.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If that's the price Adelaide were happy with, a trade involving another club could easily get done. Just as an example based on current draft hands:

WB
IN: Pick 15 + Pick 49 (1399 points)
OUT: Pick 25 + Pick 42 + Pick 43 (1529 points)

Works in favour of Gold Coast on points, and allows them to on-trade 25 to the Crows while upgrading Pick 49 to become 42 + 43, giving more than enough points to pay for Budarick, so long as he's bid after Pick 18 (which should happen)
just cut the middle man out and go the Brisbane 1st for Greenwood + the Adelaide 2nd rounder. No need for Gold Coast to worry about a 3rd party trade

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
ahhhhhhhhahahha that is brilliant comedy.

You wouldnt get David Mackay for that pick.

You realise he was a late starter, not a late bloomer. His age is not actually a negative, because he hasnt played 10 years of AFL.

The body still changes and reflexes slow etc with age whether you have played footy/sports or not.

His suggestion wasn't that outrageous and as for Mckay, well you are right you wouldn't trade him for that pick because no one would offer it.

Greenwood could actually walk to the Suns for free if he wanted, so you don't have a big advantage to begin with.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The body still changes and reflexes slow etc with age whether you have played footy/sports or not.

His suggestion wasn't that outrageous and as for Mckay, well you are right you wouldn't trade him for that pick because no one would offer it.

Greenwood could actually walk to the Suns for free if he wanted, so you don't have a big advantage to begin with.
The old walk to the PSD for nothing eh? There's a reason it doesn't happen, and it won't happen in this case.
Adelaide has a good record of getting value lately for players leaving.
Pick 12 for CC when everyone was saying a second, same with Gov. And don't forget two firsts for Lever.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The old walk to the PSD for nothing eh? There's a reason it doesn't happen, and it won't happen in this case.
Adelaide has a good record of getting value lately for players leaving.
Pick 12 for CC when everyone was saying a second, same with Gov. And don't forget two firsts for Lever.

I agree it rarely happens but the threat is there if Adelaide are wanting too much for him.

My response was in reply that pick 49 was outrageous and laughable. I don't think it was tbh.

I guess time will tell.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
All good, we can then flick pick 49 on to essendon as a more than fair price for a perenially injured fantasia ;)

Ok, let's look at a "similar" trade.

Lyons to Suns (age 24) and pick 71 for Suns picks 43 and 67.

Greenwood is much older and uncontracted. How much a better player than Lyons is he? Not heaps if at all imo, although he is more versatile.

As i said, pick 49 didn't seem outrageous or laughable to me.

As for Fanta, he likes it where he is thanks.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, let's look at a "similar" trade.

Lyons to Suns (age 24) and pick 71 for Suns picks 43 and 67.

Greenwood is much older and uncontracted.

As i said, pick 49 didn't seem outrageous or laughable to me.
Jake lever - younger but uncontracted - 2 x 1st rounders. GC will have to pay a premium to get players up to the coast. Therefore pick 49 never ever gets this one done..as I said, a likely deal is much more along the lines of Greenwood + Adelaide 2nd rounder for the Brisbane 1st

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Jake lever - younger but uncontracted - 2 x 1st rounders. GC will have to pay a premium to get players up to the coast. Therefore pick 49 never ever gets this one done..as I said, a likely deal is much more along the lines of Greenwood + Adelaide 2nd rounder for the Brisbane 1st

How is lever a "Similar" trade?

A 21 year old high end draft pick (14 iirc) defender with a stack of hype around him.

Your deal isn't outrageous or laughable but is overs imo.

Again, time will tell.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is lever a "Similar" trade?

A 21 year old high end draft pick (14 iirc) defender with a stack of hype around him.

Your deal isn't outrageous or laughable but is overs imo.

Again, time will tell.
ON reflection, the only way that pick 49 gets the deal done is if there is a wink and a nod with the AFL to not award GC a priority pick that jeopardises the crows likely pick 2

Back