Would W.A., be certainties to beat the BIG V in a theoretical state of origin match end of this year??

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'm not sure it would matter given the strength of WA's midfield and defence.

Yeah, nah.

Champion Data's 2019 midfielder rankings:

1. Lachie Neale (SA)
2. Jackson Macrae (Vic)
3. Josh Kelly (Vic)
4. Patrick Cripps (WA)
5. Nathan Fyfe (WA)
6. Marcus Bontempeli (Vic)
7. Travis Boak (Vic)
8. Luke Parker (Vic)
9. Ben Cunnington (Vic)
10. Patrick Dangerfield (Vic)
11. Clayton Oliver (Vic)
12. Stephen Coniglio (WA)
13. Adam Treloar (Vic)
14. Rory Sloane (Vic)
15. Josh Dunkley (Vic)
16. Josh Kennedy (Vic)
17. Zach Merrett (Vic)
18. Luke Shuey (Vic)
19. Mitch Duncan (WA)
20. Andrew Gaff (Vic)
21. Tim Kelly (WA)
22. Tim Taranto (Vic)
23. Elliott Yeo (WA)
24. Dayne Zorko (QLD)
25. Matt Crouch (Vic)

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, nah.

Champion Data's 2019 midfielder rankings:

1. Lachie Neale (SA)
2. Jackson Macrae (Vic)
3. Josh Kelly (Vic)
4. Patrick Cripps (WA)
5. Nathan Fyfe (WA)
6. Marcus Bontempeli (Vic)
7. Travis Boak (Vic)
8. Luke Parker (Vic)
9. Ben Cunnington (Vic)
10. Patrick Dangerfield (Vic)
11. Clayton Oliver (Vic)
12. Stephen Coniglio (WA)
13. Adam Treloar (Vic)
14. Rory Sloane (Vic)
15. Josh Dunkley (Vic)
16. Josh Kennedy (Vic)
17. Zach Merrett (Vic)
18. Luke Shuey (Vic)
19. Mitch Duncan (WA)
20. Andrew Gaff (Vic)
21. Tim Kelly (WA)
22. Tim Taranto (Vic)
23. Elliott Yeo (WA)
24. Dayne Zorko (QLD)
25. Matt Crouch (Vic)
The argument is the weakness of Victoria's defence and forward line. Really in the midfield WA can match Victoria but you can throw a blanket over a number of midfielders, they all are not too far apart.

If a team was made up of thirty midfielders Victoria would have a case!!

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The argument is the weakness of Victoria's defence and forward line. Really in the midfield WA can match Victoria but you can throw a blanket over a number of midfielders, they all are not too far apart.

If a team was made up of thirty midfielders Victoria would have a case!!

I'm yet to see you quantiify this statement at all, other than Ablett "can't take a speccy"

Out of the last 3 All-Australian sides, the following states make up the forward selections:

Vic - 8
WA - 5
SA - 2
NT - 1
Tas - 1
NSW - 1
QLD - 1

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Also, hilarious people knocking the Hawkins and Betts selections and in the same breath putting Tom Mitchell in the WA side.

He spent 15 of his 18 junior years in Victoria.

He qualifies for Victoria under SOO rules.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I'm yet to see you quantiify this statement at all, other than Ablett "can't take a speccy"

Out of the last 3 All-Australian sides, the following states make up the forward selections:

Vic - 8
WA - 5
SA - 2
NT - 1
Tas - 1
NSW - 1
QLD - 1

And there's never been any controversy or calls of bias about all Australian selections in the past? Everyone always agrees?

I already answered that earlier. Div 1 is WA SA and Vic
Div 2 is the rest, winner stays on and the loser rotates.
Geelong would be so rapt for Tom Hawkins to play in a Division 2 exhibition match....not

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Silly OP.

In 2019 or at no stage in history has WA, a state of 2.6m people, been certainties to beat Victoria, a state of 6.4m in S.O.O. footy.

We're not certainties to beat Victoria this year, and we're not even certainties to beat SA either. If there were odds for each game (it's 2019, there would be odds) I would imagine WA vs Vic would be pretty close to even money with the favourite being dependent on venue, and WA would be maybe $1.50 favourites vs SA.

If you analysed the strength of SOO sides over the last 50 or 100 years (actual results and hypothetical teams) I reckon we'd beat Victoria maybe 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 and our head to head with SA would be close to 50-50.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Also, hilarious people knocking the Hawkins and Betts selections and in the same breath putting Tom Mitchell in the WA side.

He spent 15 of his 18 junior years in Victoria.

He qualifies for Victoria under SOO rules.

The fact you are picking for advantage at the edges arguing who qualifies where substantiates the position otherwise Victoria struggles to compete with WA at the moment on paper.

We know Victoria has the numbers, we know historically because Victoria has the numbers like Australia versus New Zealand over time Victoria is usually stronger but the fact you are picking at the edges indicated to me Victoria are struggling to field a team that can match WA team on paper if fully fit!!

Thanks for your support, albeit indirectly!!

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers

Vic - 8
WA - 5
SA - 2
NT - 1
Tas - 1
NSW - 1
QLD - 1

Pretty simple argument your making there. For one, there aren't 8 forwards in the team, and secondly, this doesn't take into account the quality of each selection and thirdly, The OP is referring to this years state of origin team, not the last 3.

Your argument so far is basically proving that Victoria has a bigger population, that's about it.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Pretty simple argument your making there. For one, there isn't 8 forwards in the team, and secondly, this doesn't take into account the quality of each selection and thirdly, The OP is referring to this years state of origin team, not the last 3.

Your argument so far is basically proving that Victoria has a bigger population, that's about it.

The argument isn't about the best side per capita, it's about the best side, if Victoria have more AA's they naturally have a better pool of players, who cares if they have a higher population.

How does 2019 in isolation help WA in this argument? you would exclude Franklin and Rance on that basis....

The 2019 AA forward line very likely contains Ablett, Cameron, De Goey, Hawkins, Boak and Walters.

4 of them are Victorian and 1 of them are Western Australian.......

2019 Coleman Medal Tally:

45 - Jeremy Cameron (Vic)
39 - Tom Hawkins (NSW/Vic)
37 - Ben Brown (Tas)
36 - Jack Darling (WA)
34 - Tom Lynch (Vic)
31 - Michael Walters (WA)
30 - Jordan De Goey (Vic)
30 - Josh Kennedy (WA)
29 - Charlie Cameron (WA)
28 - Jeremy Finlayson (NSW)
28 - Tim Membrey (Vic)
26 - Eddie Betts(Vic/SA)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Silly OP.

In 2019 or at no stage in history has WA, a state of 2.6m people, been certainties to beat Victoria, a state of 6.4m in S.O.O. footy.

We're not certainties to beat Victoria this year, and we're not even certainties to beat SA either. If there were odds for each game (it's 2019, there would be odds) I would imagine WA vs Vic would be pretty close to even money with the favourite being dependent on venue, and WA would be maybe $1.50 favourites vs SA.

If you analysed the strength of SOO sides over the last 50 or 100 years (actual results and hypothetical teams) I reckon we'd beat Victoria maybe 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 and our head to head with SA would be close to 50-50.

Uh there's no room for sensible posts on BF mate.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Na, I am promoting discussion an interest, so its a thread marketing ploy.

I think Victoria might struggle in certain areas though despite the talent and depth they could bring in. For example, Fyfe, Cripps, Conilgio, McGovern, Rance, Franklin, Kennedy, Darling, Walters, Stack is especially formidable in my eyes. Some regard Yeo as the best two way runner in the game to atm.
Thread Marketing is not just a ploy , it is a lifestyle

Back