Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Perhaps it’s this.

When Ratten took the Carlton job he was inexperienced, the team was young and talented, we progressively improved each year, until a bad run of injuries and a regress led to his dismissal.
The club in its wisdom thought we were a lot closer than we actually were and went for the final piece of the puzzle. When in reality, the list was a long way off.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I’m going to suggest Ratts had a better coaching record than Voss and Hinkley who are names he’s being mentioned with and I think he is probably a little off Scott and Lyon. The counter to this is, Ratts loves the Blues and would bleed blue (as some like to describe).

Ratts, never had a mass exodus of players like Voss, hasn’t had multiple sexual assault allegations like Lyon, he is extremely experienced now after coaching his own side and going on to be an assistant to the greatest AFL coach during 3 premierships.

Lastly on your list comments, Ratts doesn’t pick players and looking back our recruiting during his tenure was a disaster, how are you putting the blame for this on him?

Been there, done that and failed? So I assume you support never using a draft pick on a player again, because plenty have failed?
We just went for an unproven coach, never again, because it failed?
Malthouse was experienced, never again because it faile.

If he’s the best candidate available then sign him up, if he’s not, sign up who is. All the rest is irrelevant.

Two comments:

- Wasn't Ratten responsible for giving up Pick 11 for Brock McLean (did he also want Kane Lucas ??).

- Re Exodus of players - Unlik Voss, Ratten wasn't coaching a team in Brisbane.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Those hacks were widely touted as top 4 for this year and beat us by over 100 points last time we played, so, yeah, crap performance.

I find it, personally, impossible to imagine how Judd's comments help our club in any way.
Judds comments should be seen as irrelevant in the context of who our next coach is .
If the players are effected by these comments then we have the wrong players imo .

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Juddy on MMM this morning, basically said he wasn't referring to David Teague and then proceeded to give Teagues resume, been in the system for 10 years, has been his own coach at VFL level, assistant at 3 AFL clubs, hardly considers that to be a coach with training wheels.
People can read into what I said how they want, it doesn't mean it's correct. (back hander at Robbo)
That was my take on it from the start......:thumbsu:

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The idea of Clarkson gives me the shivers; how many times in history has a coach with four flags gone on to great success at another club? I might be wrong, but it has the Tom Hafey’s about it for mine. There’s really no outstanding candidate among the other senior coaches, so I hope the club have a broader definition of “experienced” than that.

Bolton had just 5 years of AFL exposure at one club, under one coach, before coming to Carlton and the result seems to have spooked the club. But compare that to say Caracella; 25 years straight in the AFL, a two-time premiership player at two strong clubs, coached by Sheedy, Matthews & Malthouse and two flags different clubs in a coaching role.

So I hope we don’t go down this two coaches, two captains route. That just sounds like those making the decisions have lost confidence in their ability to choose the right man for the job.

The weight and angle apportioned to Judds mini-statement, was/is ridiculous....no matter what Judd really meant.
I'd generally be pissed that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, but it never came across this way to me, on this topic.

Would be happy to give Judd a kick in the ribs for this one, but I just can't :)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Two comments:

- Wasn't Ratten responsible for giving up Pick 11 for Brock McLean (did he also want Kane Lucas ??).

- Re Exodus of players - Unlik Voss, Ratten wasn't coaching a team in Brisbane.

I obviously wasn’t there but I can imagine Brett wanted Brock, but he doesn’t trade. If our new coach said to SOS, I want player x and he’s nominated Carlton, SOS would say, leave it to me, it’s his job to get it done.

By all reports Brett expressed to the recruiting department the need for mids or outside players, Lucas just didn’t turn out, by all reports he was selected in the range expected.

By all means Ratts made plenty of errors, he was inexperienced and on reflection he has commented on the huge gap in professionalism and set up between us and the Hawks, I’m just of the opinion that considering his CV since that he will be a lot better prepared this time.

In comparison, Voss supposedly clashed with many players and has been an assistant at a mediocre club since his last coaching stint.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Ratten 100% made the call to trade pick 11 for a nobody. Fyfe or Duncan would’ve been handy from that draft.
Mistakes are to be learnt from. The most successful people make the most mistakes and see them for what they are and learn from them.
Unsuccessful people see them as failures and don’t learn.
Ratten has already acknowledged he made mistakes and lacked experience needed at the time and just to acknowledge it is one key to becoming better. Hope we get him and not Saints.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
I’m just looking forward to the media speculation that every team Carlton plays against for the remainder of the year, we’ll be extending our interest in their coach and the ex-teammates of said coach, being very vocal about it in their media presence.
Who are we playing against this weekend?
;):cool:

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Mistakes are to be learnt from. The most successful people make the most mistakes and see them for what they are and learn from them.
Ratten has already acknowledged he made mistakes and lacked experience needed at the time and just to acknowledge it is one key to becoming better. Hope we get him and not Saints.

I don't.;)

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Some people are so easily led....as a footballer Judd was super as a football director he’s a dud. Just an arrogant personality and he’s not as smart as he thinks he is.

I'm not sure how you can tell how Judd is going as a director as board meetings aren't televised events. We can only get a feel for how the board is going as a whole by judging the off field progress and hirings/firings. He probably needs to just keep his media appearances to a simple "can't comment" with decisions he's involved in though.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

I hear what you are saying ......but I just don't think I can ever forgive Ratts for Kane Lucas ....I mean Kane Bloody Lucas !!!!

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I hear what you are saying ......but I just don't think I can ever forgive Ratts for Kane Lucas ....I mean Kane Bloody Lucas !!!!
Yeah I agree he was not the most astute pick but he was highly regarded in his draft year... some just don’t take the next step.

But even the successful clubs have missed early in the draft at times. Mitch Thorp for Hawks in the top 10 in the mid 2000’s springs to mind.

Gotta move past it and I would be pretty certain that we leave the draft final decisions to the list management team if he came back.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Thats more the clubs fault. Coach should have very little to do with the drafting.

I mean they should be able to outline the "type" of player they want. But shouldnt have any say on selection.

We have the right (much better) process in place now.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
pretty much the entire carlton fan base has rallied against chris judd in support of teague. that's how well teague's going at the moment
I'm hopeful that Teague will build a compelling case for the job, but that hasn't happened yet.

What if he doesn't win another game this year?

Let's just cool our heels for a few more weeks before going off like a firecracker.

gardiner stand

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure how you can tell how Judd is going as a director as board meetings aren't televised events. We can only get a feel for how the board is going as a whole by judging the off field progress and hirings/firings. He probably needs to just keep his media appearances to a simple "can't comment" with decisions he's involved in though.
For one Bolton should’ve been sacked 12 months earlier,2 win seasons are intolerable regardless of the playing list. He would’ve known the young group were dreading meetings and he would’ve known they were intoxicated by Bolton’s non stop dribble. They felt like they were back school and fronting up to training with that attitude is not what being a pro footballer is all about, it should be about having the best years of your life. Judd is football director he should’ve been all over this, I know Wallsy was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back