List Mgmt. Priority pick

Should PP’s be given to:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The bottom 3 should get a PP every year, after going through what we have for so long, I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s ok for any club to have to spend 5-7 years without being genuinely competitive, it’s not good for the club and it’s not good for the competition.

I’m not sure how you would st it up but the 2 picks each year would make the process a lot faster.
too much incentive to tank......

The bottom 3 should get a PP every year, after going through what we have for so long, I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s ok for any club to have to spend 5-7 years without being genuinely competitive, it’s not good for the club and it’s not good for the competition.

I’m not sure how you would st it up but the 2 picks each year would make the process a lot faster.

Priority round - floated the idea the last year couple of years, and I think Wily Trout and Lord Lucifer have done so in various formats as well.

Priority round: 18th -> 11th (Picks 1-8)
1st Round: 18th -> 1st (Picks 9-26)
2nd Round: 18th -> 1st (Picks 27-44)
Etc.

Finals for the top 8. Statistically, the team in 9th and 10th are usually a chance at finals coming into the last couple of rounds, so tanking shouldn't be an issue (I'm sure clubs would rather a finals spot than an extra pick ~8). Could even work in that finals wild card thing they've floated in the past and have 9th and 10th play off for a gig in September.

It's essentially giving the bottom 8 sides an extra pick each between 9 and 16 in the draft, and bumping the top 10 sides back to accommodate.

Probably makes the free agency compo easier as well. Just drop it down to three bands - before round 1 (but after priority round), before round 2, before round 3 - and do away with all the "finishing position" stuff.

If we genuinely needed one and genuinely deserved one, I'd be fine with asking the question.

I just don't think we need one, don't think we'd get one, and don't think asking is worth the trouble. Gold Coast's issue isn't competitiveness - their issue is that the lack of competitiveness makes player retention nigh impossible in their location, and those two factors combine to murder any chance of building a strong enough supporter base to keep the club going and relevant. While the AFL have "Make Gold Coast work" on their to do list, they'll offer all the support they can.

We're coming off the back of a real lean period, but we're bringing players in, not losing them, we're bringing members and supporters in (in record numbers), not losing them, we've got top line facilities, strong leadership, and a talented young list. The club is in a really good spot for the future - we're not finals relevant this year, but we're oh so close to breaking out. To use a biblical metaphor - Malthouse rocked up Friday, Bolton kept saying we were on our way back on Saturday, and it's now the Saturday night before the big resurrection.

I suspect the AFL commission, or whoever determines the necessity of priority picks and other forms of special support, will see it the same way. The media certainly will, and they wield plenty of influence.

Screw the AFL handouts - they're not going to give us one regardless, and asking for it just makes us look desperate. We don't need the help (note: not that it wouldn't be put to good use).
Seriously how much trouble could it be, lay out the number of spoons we have won in the past 15 year and the number of games we have won in the last 5 seasons and say "how about it?"

You make 0% of the shots you don't take.

Seriously how much trouble could it be, lay out the number of spoons we have won in the past 15 year and the number of games we have won in the last 5 seasons and say "how about it?"

You make 0% of the shots you don't take.

Again - looking at the big picture, I don't think we need one and I don't think the AFL would think we need one.

It's not just about win/loss. It's not just about how many spoons we have. It's not just about how many years we've been bottom six.

It's not just about the past.

The AFL will - rightly - consider how poor we've been, but then look much closer at how we project for the future.

We're bringing players in - not losing them.
We're bringing members in - not losing them.
We're bringing crowds in - not losing them.
We're have quality off-field personnel.
We have quality facilities.
We have sponsors.
We have money.
We have a talented list.

Everything is coming together, and just about everyone with half a brain knows it.

Gold Coast are the opposite, and comparing our win/loss records alone is such a tiny fragment of the picture as to be irrelevant.

Gold Coast also have some young talent on their list just like we do. They have had retention problems in the past but I think they have put the pieces in place to resolve those issues. Lions had the same problems up until about 4 years ago. The Suns already brought in players that are more likely to stick together up there, copying the Lions strategy.

GC are likely to get PP this year and if they get pick 1&2, we deserve at least a pick in the first round going by the criteria that it is designed for which is to help clubs from staying at the bottom long term.

We have off field figures strong right now but if we don’t get it right and stay down the bottom for more years then is the off field stuff going to stay strong?

I think we have enough pieces of the puzzle to push back up to the top half but the more access to quality talent the better IMO.

How would we feel if GC beat us to a flag with the extra talent and we had not pushed hard for it??

Stuff the media and the pressure they may put on the afl. McGuire just needs to be reminded that his club played in 2 GF’s in a row, then fell down to 13th then 15th (16 team comp) and got a priority pick before jumping back up to 5th the next year and those early picks turned into premiership stars a few years later...

If PP’s are a possibility we should go hard for them. It may be the final piece of the puzzle that brings home #17/18/19... and if the player we get kicks the winning goal in one of them, then we will all be glad we went hard for one.

I see some merit here, however to set bottom 3 as a firm criteria would be hard. What is next lowest team misses by a fraction of a percentage point and, of course it opens the tanking debate.

In a perfect world where integrity of performance was guaranteed, the bottom three should get an end of first round draft pick bonus. Should one of the bottom three have also been in the position the previous year, upgraded to a start of first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PP is not gonna fix our situation. we have the talent on the list.

No not immediately, but its better than a kick in the teeth.
How can a prodigious talent like Rowell not improve our future playing list?
It would be an enormous leg up by the AFL, perennial poor performers over a decade need additional support or the become inconsequential.
Established, historical brand or new alike must be dragged from the bottom if neccessary, the AFL will see the light eventually. Draft system must change.

Last edited:
For those potting GC, they have been above us on the ladder for most of the year and finished on top of us last year... Not sure we are that far ahead...

Who's potting the Suns?

It's not a criticism to identify that they're a new franchise struggling to break into the competition in any meaningful way. There are a lot of factors at play, some are things they did/didn't do to themselves, others are just the harsh realities of trying to force AFL into a non-AFL market.

They NEED support - IF they are to stay afloat. The longer they suffer, the more money the AFL has to keep sinking into them. The AFL has a vested financial interest in making them viable. We ARE viable, we're not getting bailed out, we're making the competition money. Win/loss is a part of it, but in the GC example it's a domino that the AFL hope will kickstart the club into becoming relevant.

No not immediately, but its better than a kick in the teeth.
How can a prodigious talent like Rowell not improve our future playing list?, its like refusing Sellwood in the 2006 draft. He'll be an excellent midfielder.
not saying I would compain if we got one, but I just think it would be stupid to give us a PP now.

We were in line for a PP, but that seems highly unlikely to come about now.

Who knows for sure, but we may get early access to State Leagues should we have an ordinary time of it over the last few rounds, but a PP of any significance is unlikely to be on the table for us.

That attitude is obtuse and out of touch, if Gold Coast further drifts into oblivion and GWS Gaints keeps on losing and deteriorates, just watch the AFL change its tune.

Who's potting the Suns?

It's not a criticism to identify that they're a new franchise struggling to break into the competition in any meaningful way. There are a lot of factors at play, some are things they did/didn't do to themselves, others are just the harsh realities of trying to force AFL into a non-AFL market.

They NEED support - IF they are to stay afloat. The longer they suffer, the more money the AFL has to keep sinking into them. The AFL has a vested financial interest in making them viable. We ARE viable, we're not getting bailed out, we're making the competition money. Win/loss is a part of it, but in the GC example it's a domino that the AFL hope will kickstart the club into becoming relevant.

Agree Suns and Gaints need help and it will be for another decade at least, but no matter how the AFL and the media spin it young prodigious talent will not recommit to the new franchises clubs easily as enormous offers keep tempting them to more center stage of the completion.
Let’s be realistic and practical the AFl should not be a forced conscription or at least update the draft to facilitate and support all struggling teams new and established alike, the draft needs urgent revision.

We were in line for a PP, but that seems highly unlikely to come about now.
Who knows for sure, but we may get early access to State Leagues should we have an ordinary time of it over the last few rounds, but a PP of any significance is unlikely to be on the table for us.

One rider though - We lose to Gold Coast in a couple of weeks time and all bets are off.

Again - looking at the big picture, I don't think we need one and I don't think the AFL would think we need one.

It's not just about win/loss. It's not just about how many spoons we have. It's not just about how many years we've been bottom six.

It's not just about the past.

The AFL will - rightly - consider how poor we've been, but then look much closer at how we project for the future.

We're bringing players in - not losing them.
We're bringing members in - not losing them.
We're bringing crowds in - not losing them.
We're have quality off-field personnel.
We have quality facilities.
We have sponsors.
We have money.
We have a talented list.

Everything is coming together, and just about everyone with half a brain knows it.

Gold Coast are the opposite, and comparing our win/loss records alone is such a tiny fragment of the picture as to be irrelevant.
I don't need another house but if someone was giving them away I would take one.

If the AFL don't want to give us one then fine but lets make them make the decision instead of not asking.

Back