Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needed to be a leader off field too for a young team. Those players weren't guided and led very well. I believe his religious stance also alienated some of the players too.

I wasn't blaming only Gary. It's the captain, the coach, CEO, and everyone else in position of power.
Fair enough. My post indicated he was not the right choice. The problem is (and probably was) he (Ablett) would not have been moving in the same circles as a lot of the young people at the club were. As i posted he was out of his depth imo. I think I recall a story of Cyril going out with Brad Hill one night as a chaperone. Cyril went back the the club and said he could not do it again as he could not keep up with Hilly lol.

Personally i don't think Tassie is big enough or strong financially to support an AFL team with their economy.

The best solution is the one they got now Four AFL games up in North and 3-4 games in Hobart at least they get to see 7-8 AFL games in their state.

Whilst I agree with your post the problem is neither Hawthorn nor North are teams that Tasmanians will ever call their own, unless of course you already support one or the other. So, currently games down here are reliant on neutrals turning up to boost crowd sizes.

The support at our games in Launceston from 'neutral' supporters is decreasing, probably because we get the same old teams. They are sick of going to watch Gold Coast, or Freo or Port. None of those sides have any following down here, so the atmosphere is dead. Stark difference if we host Carlton/St Kilda etc, as the support becomes more even between the two teams, and there is actually a bit of noise created at the ground.

I think you are right though, and Tasmanians just have to accept that this is how it is, and be grateful. Get along and watch some AFL live.

Fair enough. My post indicated he was not the right choice. The problem is (and probably was) he (Ablett) would not have been moving in the same circles as a lot of the young people at the club were. As i posted he was out of his depth imo. I think I recall a story of Cyril going out with Brad Hill one night as a chaperone. Cyril went back the the club and said he could not do it again as he could not keep up with Hilly lol.

When we learned john barker was designated as chaperone to the young buddy 8)

Hahahahahahaha.

That worked really well for the old Navy Blues last time they got rid of a coach that was winning to replace them with an "experienced coach that would take them to the next level".

Who are they going to take anyway? Poach Ross away from the fantastic job he's doing at Freo? Brad Scott from taking the Roos nowhere for 9 years? Paul Roos?

If they could get Clarko, sure, but the rest of the candidates they're better off keeping the current bloke.

Sent from my RNE-L02 using Tapatalk

I hope Teague is emptying the stationery cupboard now...

The difference between GWS and GC was evident right from the start. Look at the players they respectively took on from other clubs; it really tells a story all by itself. Gold Coast were doomed from the start with those selections

SUNS
Ablett, Bock, Jared Brennan, Campbell Brown, Josh Fraser, Harbrow, Nathan Krakouer, Michael Rischitelli + Hunt

GIANTS
Phil Davis, Ward, Rhys Palmer, Scully, Sam Reid, James McDonald, Luke Power, Brogan + Folau

The difference between GWS and GC was evident right from the start. Look at the players they respectively took on from other clubs; it really tells a story all by itself. Gold Coast were doomed from the start with those selections

SUNS
Ablett, Bock, Jared Brennan, Campbell Brown, Josh Fraser, Harbrow, Nathan Krakouer, Michael Rischitelli + Hunt

GIANTS
Phil Davis, Ward, Rhys Palmer, Scully, Sam Reid, James McDonald, Luke Power, Brogan + Folau
Gws also got additional concessions. It was a double whammy. Better decisions and better concessions. Gold Coast are really poorly run and it wouldn’t have matter who they got there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett cops a lot about destroying gc17 and rightly so, however Judd seems 2 get away Scot free at carlton and has continued destroying them as footy director. Carlton seems to have gone into panic control though stating Judd's comments were well not the views of Carlton.
Just had a better PR team.
He was indirectly responsible for the fev fall out, and was directly responsible for a lot of off-fieldincidents, including holding down an underage recruit and for feeding him alcohol

I don't really know on what grounds Judd thinks he should still be there at the end of the year to make a decision on the coach. Someone should take responsibility that they've sacked... how many successive coaches after less than 5 years each? They've had some shockers but it can't always be the coach.

A Tassie team doesnt grow the game it cannibalises support from existing clubs and doesnt increase tv viewers which is really what its all about.
Same with NT they already watch.

Only place to harvest new viewers is NSW and Qld
New viewers in NSW? I was in Canberra last week - yes I know it’s ACT - and the hawks v pies game wasn’t on free to air. Disgraceful. If this goes on across NSW then how do they get new viewers to the game. Had to watch on my mobile via AFL live.

New viewers in NSW? I was in Canberra last week - yes I know it’s ACT - and the hawks v pies game wasn’t on free to air. Disgraceful. If this goes on across NSW then how do they get new viewers to the game. Had to watch on my mobile via AFL live.

In my youth I genuinely believed that all that people in ACT watched on TV was politics and finance. Maybe my assumption was correct

Gws also got additional concessions. It was a double whammy. Better decisions and better concessions. Gold Coast are really poorly run and it wouldn’t have matter who they got there.
Terry Wallace broke the concessions down line by line including the “gws zone trading”. Equated to additional TEN 1st rounders

Interstate the games are on 7mate as opposed to the main channel - confirmed in the Canberran TV guide that this is the case. Same with NRL down here - almost always it’s on Gem. When I first moved down here in 2011 you had to wait until about 1 am to watch replays of the semi finals too - couldn’t watch them live. Found this surprising as growing up in Canberra and Brisbane I always watched a lot of AFL on TV without issue.

Ablett cops a lot about destroying gc17 and rightly so, however Judd seems 2 get away Scot free at carlton and has continued destroying them as footy director. Carlton seems to have gone into panic control though stating Judd's comments were well not the views of Carlton.

The whole Judd thing staggers me.

Was the best player in the game during his elite stage at the Eagles, but was just A grade besides that. Even he was staggered when he won his second Brownlow and from memory was only about equal 25th in possessions that year - this for a guy whose DE was average. The commentators loved him, but for most of his career, he was just Danger without the marking ability.

He was a poor captain at the Eagles and unable to influence their culture. Seemed to do little to change Carlton than show professionalism on the track. Was gifted a role at the club as part of his brown paper bag payments and has done nothing in that area too.

Nicole Kidman Effect 2.0

The whole Judd thing staggers me.

Was the best player in the game during his elite stage at the Eagles, but was just A grade besides that. Even he was staggered when he won his second Brownlow and from memory was only about equal 25th in possessions that year - this for a guy whose DE was average. The commentators loved him, but for most of his career, he was just Danger without the marking ability.

He was a poor captain at the Eagles and unable to influence their culture. Seemed to do little to change Carlton than show professionalism on the track. Was gifted a role at the club as part of his brown paper bag payments and has done nothing in that area too.

Nicole Kidman Effect 2.0

He robbed Swan of that Brownlow.

Plus he should have been suspended for his 'low impact' elbow hit on Pavlich that left him with 6 stitches.

Izak Rankine just signed a two-year contract extension with the Suns. I know contracts mean jack but does this take him out of the Crows and Powers short team

Player manager driven my guess. Would be paid well for that extension & he gets a few years to prove & build his game before the big pay day .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back