Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it will be us in a few years. The AFL have planted double agents to run us into the ground. We are in massive debt and have stuffed up everything we've touched. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's suggested we move down there.

Won’t happen.

There seems to be a fair bit to play out. Nick Riewoldt’s comments on AFL360 the other night were a shot across the bow to suggestions that there wouldn’t be a proper selection process to appoint the next coach.

I saw him talk on this On The Couch this week. What did he say on AFL360?

Can you imagine the turmoil at the Saints if Scott was actually appointed?

Membership sales for next season would flatline.

AGM would be a riot.

etc etc...
Based on what? people's opinions of the bloke?
He's yet to coach a game and already he's a worse option than Richo, who by the way, had the top 3 record membership results for the club in the last 3 years.
Honestly some people and their chicken little narrative are absurd.

No, he isn't my first choice of the available/wishlisted coaches but unless Richo makes finals a new coach we shall have.

Based on what? people's opinions of the bloke?
He's yet to coach a game and already he's a worse option than Richo, who by the way, had the top 3 record membership results for the club in the last 3 years.
Honestly some people and their chicken little narrative are absurd.

No, he isn't my first choice of the available/wishlisted coaches but unless Richo makes finals a new coach we shall have.

It is a given that we are will have a new coach. That is not the point that I raised.

Based on what? You may have missed it but he has been coaching for a decade. And yes opinions and perception is a key part of getting momentum going.

What I raised was that of Scott is appointed that it will create a climate of turmoil.

Normally one benefit of a new coach is a climate of hope. Scott will not create it, he will negate it.

With Scott's baggage what the we will see is if anything is an increased amount of aggravation and disaffection.

PS. With all the new membership categories one cannot compare membership totals of today directly with past seasons.

It is a given that we are will have a new coach. That is not the point that I raised.

Based on what? You may have missed it but he has been coaching for a decade. And yes opinions and perception is a key part of getting momentum going.

What I raised was that of Scott is appointed that it will create a climate of turmoil.

Normally one benefit of a new coach is a climate of hope. Scott will not create it, he will negate it.

With Scott's baggage what the we will see is if anything is an increased amount of aggravation and disaffection.

PS. With all the new membership categories one cannot compare membership totals of today directly with past seasons.
So what are you saying? You believe it's a given our memberships will "flatline" and the AGM will be a "riot" based on peoples opinions of the bloke before he's even set foot in the club?
Honestly we'll agree to disagree - I'm not about to cast any candidate out based on personal opinion, especially not before he's had a chance.
If the club does due diligence and he's anointed then i'll believe he's the best man for the job until proven he's not.

So what are you saying? You believe it's a given our memberships will "flatline" and the AGM will be a "riot" based on peoples opinions of the bloke before he's even set foot in the club?

Yes

especially not before he's had a chance.

Many will be of the opinion that he has already had a longer chance than Richo of establishing his credentials of being a head coach.

And as to whether or not he has had a chance before he starts with us. You do understand that our new coach whomever it will will be appointed based on the opinion of whomever it is that will have the say, and that their opinion will be based on before he sets foot in the club.

So opinion's matter. Just some matter more than others.

Yes

Many will be of the opinion that he has already had a longer chance than Richo of establishing his credentials of being a head coach.

And as to whether or not he has had a chance before he starts with us. You do understand that our new coach whomever it will will be appointed based on the opinion of whomever it is that will have the say, and that their opinion will be based on before he sets foot in the club.

His credentials are better than Richos though: 50% W/L compared to 33%
So I'm still unsure how this correlates to lower membership numbers and AGM rioting.
I do understand that he'll be selected (or not) based on people's opinions - but unlike yourself I'm confident they have a higher awareness of the situation and are better informed, not BF posters who have an opinion on the matter who have no clue as to how he operates in a professional environment and only judge him from afar.

lol,a few early wins and new recruits would change that,no turmoil at all irrespective,get real.....

Saints’ burning question: What happens if they lose by a lot?

Perhaps bad news for Alan Richardson. Fox Sports News reporter Julian De Stoop told the Fox Footy Podcast during the week there were murmurings the Saints could move quickly on Richardson if Geelong registered a big win. On the same day the podcast was recorded, veteran journalist Caroline Wilson reported on 3AW’s Sportsday that Richardson was “resigned” to his fate, with few predicting he’ll be St Kilda’s coach in 2020. If the Cats go big on Saturday night — a big chance considering they’ll be filthy after last weekend’s loss to the Bulldogs — at home, we could be in for a whirlwind few days.

Yes

So if the club conduct a thorough process with a professional panel and judge Scott to be the best applicant you'll be happy with that?

Yes

I think we can sometimes mistake the 100 or so posters on here as being fully aligned with the membership at large

The vast majority of rank and file members will be fine with Scott until proven otherwise I should think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can sometimes mistake the 100 or so posters on here as being fully aligned with the membership at large

The vast majority of rank and file members will be fine with Scott until proven otherwise I should think
Sure about that? Can't be talking about the nuffies on Facebook, who are so kneejerk they make this board seem like a Council of Elders. The greater populace of Saints Fans probably will hold their fire initially, but I doubt they'd be satisfied with Scott, even with new recruits.

I'd love to see how the club spins that as an exciting new chapter in our history, beyond the Fresh Start and NotCho angle.

So if the club conduct a thorough process with a professional panel and judge Scott to be the best applicant you'll be happy with that?

No.

Besides these panels can be a farce.

I may be 100% wrong, and if he gets the job I hope that I am 100% wrong, but I just do not believe that there are not better candidates.

ok, apart from bf posters, facebook trolls and people stfan talks to I reckon the vast majority of rank and file members will be fine with scott until proven otherwise.....

he's a bit like the romans.....I guess I meant it won't cause a mass reduction in membership

Take a look at the Facebook page. Supporters don't not want Scott.
And Facebook is probably a fairer indicator than most - people's names and faces are attached to their posts rather than message board anonymity.

I won't because the club make dumb decisions all the time.

I think that's a fair point though VDS. I really miss seeing the games live, as I think it's really difficult to work out the full game plan and what's happening off the ball. I'd always see things at games that weren't captured on TV and vice versa. Really good commentators can help compensate for that but sadly most of them choose to be lazy & just run with the popular media narrative, rather than commentate on what's happening.
Having said that, I really enjoy Narkle's posts, he puts a lot of thought into them and often brings another perspective.
I love his posts because he backs them up with substance. As I said I wasn't having a go.

Bartels comments could have been based on what he was doing unfold live, which is different to what we see on TV.

I reckon it will be us in a few years. The AFL have planted double agents to run us into the ground. We are in massive debt and have stuffed up everything we've touched. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's suggested we move down there.
How do we know you're not a double agent supporter?

Seems odd that you're the only Saints supporter in your family...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back