Preview Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions – Sunday 14/07/19, 4:40pm (Brisbane time) at Adelaide Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 1mm max of rain predicted, so not exactly anything that should make an impact.

It'll be another test of whether or not we are actually a decent team now. Decent teams don't seem to fluctuate too much - they have a pretty consistent base level of effort. I also get the feeling that the belief that has been building in the group has now mixed with excitement at the idea that finals are now just over the horizon. That's a first for almost all of the group and would have to be giving them some significant energy and adrenaline now.

I think of someone like Stef Martin who has spent his entire football career in crap teams not even remotely in contention for finals - he'd now be walking into the club each day knowing that if all goes well, he's a couple of months away from finally getting a chance. Zorks too. This would have to mean so much to our group considering where they've come from, and because of that I'd be really surprised if they let themselves drop off at all.

harvester

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2010
gold coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure we will get the chocolates in this game.
Can someone remind me who we got in return for losing rocky to port? I know it was pick 19...
He was a great player in a poor performing lions side. Miss him

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jack Payne was awesome in the NEAFL last week, I feel like he deserves a run, sooner rather than later. Not sure how he fits though, could we keep Adams up forward if Big O isn't yet ready?

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
Didn't we many years back win a miracle game in pouring rain in Adelaide where we chased down some hughe last Qtr total, like 50 or 60 points, would have been Vossy's time. Or do you mean we have won a game at the re-built Adelaide Oval

This was the first time I ever saw the lions live in my life.

It was round 4, 2008 and Port Adelaide were winless after they were assaulted by Geelong in the ‘07 GF.

We were playing classic 2006-2017 Brisbane Lions footy, in that we were just awful.

I still remember these two feral port kids sitting in front of us who were just straight up mocking me throughout the game. I had other ferals giving me sh*t for no reason throughout the game too.

My dad, a crows fan who I know genuinely loves the lions too, was by my side throughout this whole night wearing an old Fitzroy jumper.

It was painful. Flogs like Steven Salopek and David Rodan were tearing us up.

It got to time on in the third quarter and the lead had blown out to 47 points. Port were back in town and their season had kick started.

Then the rain came and changed everything!

Simon Black went bonkers, Lukey Power also started to get the footy, I recall Trav Johnstone started getting a bunch of footy and the twin towers in Browny and more so Bradshaw just took over the game.

We piled on something ridiculous like 10 goals to 1 in the last, turning a 47 point deficit in time on in the third into a 20 point belting.

IT WAS MAGICAL.

Since then, it has always been heart ache for me going along to watch my boys in Adelaide.

Port have consistently flogged us, there was the Brennan/Carr embarrassment, then the 100 point floggings at Adelaide Oval and most recently the heart breaker in round 3 last year.

Having recently moved to Melbourne I will not be attending this game and therefore firmly believe we will SMASH these pricks as a result.

Lions by 6 goals

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
If it does turn out wet would we think of playing Beast Mode and Bastinac. Hippy won't play and on a wet day The Big O gives little return. On wet days, playing away we need people who put their bodies over the ball once it hits the ground.

Drop Adams or McStay, if wet, to get the above two in?

Good day for Lester as pace will not be an priority.

If dry The Big O for Hipwood. This will be interesting to see how Oscar goes when he will be targeted by our midfield more often as they bring the ball forward. Adams was very quiet but lead up more than any other forward so let's see how he goes up forward again.

Will be in Singapore watching on the AFL overseas service and if we win its off to Raffles for a gin sling(hold the gin).

Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions – Sunday 14/07/19, 4:40pm (Brisbane time) at Adelaide Oval (Port @ $1.62 and Bris @ $2.30)

View attachment 706330

Summary

Brisbane are one of the form teams of the competition currently. Holding the best current win streak in the league (3 wins) and sitting equal third on the ladder. So Brisbane should go into this clash with a lot of confidence. With West Coast and Collingwood squaring off on Friday night, a win here will mean we either end the round equal second on the ladder (with WCE and Coll) or remain 3rd on the ladder, but 4 points clear of Collingwood in 4th place.

For the 7th placed Port Adelaide, a loss here could see them tumble out of the top eight come the end of the round. With a run home that includes some tough games against Richmond and GWS and add to that some potential 8 point games in Essendon, North Melbourne and Fremantle, banking early wins now will really ease that pressure of making the top 8 come the end of the home and away season.

Last Time We Met

Hipwood was the star of the show in our round 3 win at the Gabba earlier this year with a 6 goal haul. He along with Neale (43 touches), Robinson (29 touches) and Walker (23 touches) were arguably our best players that night in what ended up an impressive win; with Port Adelaide stealing the lead for the first time early in the 4th quarter and looking like they could steal the 4 points from the Lions. This was done through the impressive performances of young gun, C.Rozee (5 goals), their captain in T.Boak (35 touches) and S.Powell-Pepper (29 touches). However, a 4 goal surge in the second half of the last quarter helped the Lions overrun Port, who clearly were disappointed with the result after working so hard to gain the lead in that fourth quarter.

A Few Key Matchups

Charlie Dixon v Harris Andrews

There is no height advantage here for either team with Dixon being 200cm and Andrews being 201cm. Strength wise they too they would be pretty evenly matched. So 1v1 this could be an exciting duel. Andrews has the form on the board and is one of the premier tall defenders of the competition now being in All Australian form thanks to his amazing spoiling ability and the continued development of his intercept marking. Dixon on the other is only 3 games into his comeback from injury. His output in those 3 games is been pretty unimpressive, with him kicking only 4 goals and taking 5 marks in total. He is a danger player though, as he is capable of kicking a big haul and taking big contested marks. If Dixon isn't having an impact however, watch for Andrews to really start to go for his intercept marking.

Dayne Zorko vs Robbie Gray

This one match up is more purely on output rather than both playing on one another, as both are big match winners for their respective sides. Both players split their time between the forward line and midfield. Whoever has the better game between these two will go a long way to deciding who wins this match in my opinion. Both are equally capable of 30 disposal, 4 goal games so shutting down both these players will be key to keeping their team in the game.

Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons and Jarrod Berry vs Travis Boak, Tom Rockliff and Ollie Wines
These are some of the main contested possession getters for both teams. While Brisbane lost the contested possession count against GWS last week and won, I think losing it again this week would be dangerous and damage our chances of winning, as one of Brisbane’s strengths all year has been scoring from stoppages. If Port can nullify Neale in particular, Brisbane’s scoring power can be blunted greatly.

Charlie Cameron vs Dan Houston
I am not 100% sure on who will line up on Cameron, but I believe it might be Houston. C.Cameron is a big barometer for Brisbane thanks to his speed and creativity up forward, while he isn’t the be all and end all of us winning, he is close. In our 5 losses this year, he averages .80 goals and .40 goal assists a game and in our wins, he averages 2.5 goals and 1.1 goal assists a game. So if he has a big game, we will likely be either close or ahead.

Final Word

With Hodge and Hipwood likely outs due to injury, Brisbane’s depth could start to get a little test, so it will be interesting to see how Fagan goes with his ins for this week. As was the case last week away from home against GWS, if Brisbane’s midfield can apply a lot of pressure without the ball it will go a long way to giving us a chance away from home. Port are an aggressive ball moving side, so there could be scoring opportunities if we set up well defensively and get them on the rebound.

Boak coming back into Port’s midfield (he was a late out last week) really adds depth in that area for them. So Brisbane’s midfield will need to be switched on and ready for a 4 quarter effort if we are likely to get the “W”. Both teams are top 3 in the league for inside 50 entries per game, so I think the more efficient team at scoring per inside 50 will be the likely winner here.

Should be an exciting game, I will say Brisbane by 36 points.
EFA

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

It was round 4, 2008 and Port Adelaide were winless after they were assaulted by Geelong in the ‘07 GF.

We were playing classic 2006-2017 Brisbane Lions footy, in that we were just awful.

I still remember these two feral port kids sitting in front of us who were just straight up mocking me throughout the game. I had other ferals giving me sh*t for no reason throughout the game too.

My dad, a crows fan who I know genuinely loves the lions too, was by my side throughout this whole night wearing an old Fitzroy jumper.

It got to time on in the third quarter and the lead had blown out to 47 points. Port were back in town and their season had kick started.

Simon Black went bonkers, Lukey Power also started to get the footy, I recall Trav Johnstone started getting a bunch of footy and the twin towers in Browny and more so Bradshaw just took over the game.

We piled on something ridiculous like 10 goals to 1 in the last, turning a 47 point deficit in time on in the third into a 20 point belting.

IT WAS MAGICAL.

Since then, it has always been heart ache for me going along to watch my boys in Adelaide.

Port have consistently flogged us, there was the Brennan/Carr embarrassment, then the 100 point floggings at Adelaide Oval and most recently the heart breaker in round 3 last year.

Having recently moved to Melbourne I will not be attending this game and therefore firmly believe we will SMASH these pricks as a result.

Lions by 6 goals

Great story. Did you give it back to the Port plebs?

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve read a few articles now coming from a Port perspective of needing to stop first Hipwood and now Neale. More worried about us instead of themselves.
Getting in their heads!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only 1mm max of rain predicted, so not exactly anything that should make an impact.

It'll be another test of whether or not we are actually a decent team now. Decent teams don't seem to fluctuate too much - they have a pretty consistent base level of effort. I also get the feeling that the belief that has been building in the group has now mixed with excitement at the idea that finals are now just over the horizon. That's a first for almost all of the group and would have to be giving them some significant energy and adrenaline now.

I think of someone like Stef Martin who has spent his entire football career in crap teams not even remotely in contention for finals - he'd now be walking into the club each day knowing that if all goes well, he's a couple of months away from finally getting a chance. Zorks too. This would have to mean so much to our group considering where they've come from, and because of that I'd be really surprised if they let themselves drop off at all.

This year being the exception.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If it does turn out wet would we think of playing Beast Mode and Bastinac. Hippy won't play and on a wet day The Big O gives little return. On wet days, playing away we need people who put their bodies over the ball once it hits the ground.

If dry The Big O for Hipwood. This will be interesting to see how Oscar goes when he will be targeted by our midfield more often as they bring the ball forward. Adams was very quiet but lead up more than any other forward so let's see how he goes up forward again.

Will be in Singapore watching on the AFL overseas service and if we win its off to Raffles for a gin sling(hold the gin).

I see your logic. However, Big O is too important, just about first picked given our boundary line game. If he is fit he will play.

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

IT WAS MAGICAL.

Lions by 6 goals

Chinny Stiller from the boundary!

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If its wet you need big O more than ever. Players will be throwing the ball on the boot quickly to move it down the line and we need the likes off Oscar making a contest bringing the ball to the ground. Big fallacy that its wet don't play the tall guys. You don't want Port having spare defenders just floating across taking uncontested marks.

Oscar for Hippy and Taylor for Hodge.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not involved in tipping myself but when I read the medjia’s tips last week is something like GWS 12 - Lions 0. Same garbage this week, not one tipping us. God I hope we win just to stick it up ‘em!

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looked like Hipwood was at training, not sure if anyone knows how active he was in it?

If they choose to try and squash Neale they'll have to deal with a midfield of Zorko, Cluggage, Lyons, McCarthy and Co running riot.

Really like McCarthy through the middle.

On another note completely, is it just me or
does the week go faster these days. Seems
Like we bask in the glory of a win for a bit and then the next game is here. Unlike years gone by where the week seemed to drag on. Could very much get use to this feeling.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Mate of mine recently had a Singapore sling there n it was $30 so sip it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back