Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the second time Blakely to Gold Coast has been mentioned on our board...
If you read there board its essentially
1) A numpty mentions it weeks ago with zero information to back him up
2) Board talks about it for a few weeks with no one really understanding where it came from
3) Someone else says they are heavily into Langdon and "someone else"
4) Rest of the board asks if its Blakely to which he goes "yeah, I think so"

If Langdon and Blakely go to GC we sack everyone and start again as far as I'm concerned. Under no circumstances should we be losing more players to that mob that arent in some way from the GC

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you read there board its essentially
1) A numpty mentions it weeks ago with zero information to back him up
2) Board talks about it for a few weeks with no one really understanding where it came from
3) Someone else says they are heavily into Langdon and "someone else"
4) Rest of the board asks if its Blakely to which he goes "yeah, I think so"

If Langdon and Blakely go to GC we sack everyone and start again as far as I'm concerned. Under no circumstances should we be losing more players to that mob that arent in some way from the GC
Maybe GC are asking for pick 1 because they know they will need it for Ed and Connor?...

Maybe GC are asking for pick 1 because they know they will need it for Ed and Connor?...
I know you're joking but no draft pick could reconcile to me the idea that two more of our youhg established midfielders would rather play for GC than us.

It would be nothing short of a complete disaster

If the AFL awards them the #1 selection as a priority pick on the condition it has to be exchanged for mature players it would get that ball moving with serious momentum.

Do we take pick #1 to the draft or try and turn it into...
#1 to GWS for #10, #14 and their 1st for 2020

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know you're joking but no draft pick could reconcile to me the idea that two more of our youhg established midfielders would rather play for GC than us.

It would be nothing short of a complete disaster
That would entirely depend on their reasons, which we would likely never know for sure.

If the AFL awards them the #1 selection as a priority pick on the condition it has to be exchanged for mature players it would get that ball moving with serious momentum.

Use pick 1.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

After the lessons of 2001, would never trade pick 1 ever again if Gold Coast indeed did. We’re just going to prop up GWS then? Okay

That would entirely depend on their reasons, which we would likely never know for sure.

Use pick 1.
I dont think it would matter what their motives are. Short of GC offering double what we are paying them (which I doubt), there is absolutely no way we should be losing 3 best 22 players to GC in the space of 3 years. No other club has lost 1.

We would have lost 4 best 22 young midfielders in 4 years, all of which realistically went to a club thats not their home town (Weller dreamed of playing in GC my arse). The club would need to be gutted from the inside out as far as I'm concerned

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont think it would matter what their motives are. Short of GC offering double what we are paying them (which I doubt), there is absolutely no way we should be losing 3 best 22 players to GC in the space of 3 years. No other club has lost 1.

We would have lost 4 best 22 young midfielders in 4 years, all of which realistically went to a club thats not their home town (Weller dreamed of playing in GC my arse). The club would need to be gutted from the inside out as far as I'm concerned
So there is no difference between violent opposition to Ross/Belly/Freo and more money, a lifestyle choice, desire to play with mates (although in general I think that is a bull**** reason)? Of course the reason matters. It is the precisely how you decide whether it is a big deal or not.

Also don't know why it is unreasonable to think that GC might offer them more money than us? They are at pains to convince players to pay there, money is literally the only short term incentive they can offer.

So there is no difference between violent opposition to Ross/Belly/Freo and more money, a lifestyle choice, desire to play with mates (although in general I think that is a bull**** reason)? Of course the reason matters. It is the precisely how you decide whether it is a big deal or not.

Also don't know why it is unreasonable to think that GC might offer them more money than us? They are at pains to convince players to pay there, money is literally the only short term incentive they can offer.
Disagree. Good clubs with a strong culture do not lose young, valued best 22 players to states not their home town, yet alone Gold Coast. For any reason. If their is an environment where players are happy and content, the thought of moving to the worst club in the AFL, away from established friends and family would be laughed at, regardless of any other factors. It just shouldnt happen.

I'm not sure how you cant think the idea of losing Blakely and Langdon to GC is anything but a monumental blight on the club

I said its unreasonable to think they offer double, which it is. They also completed stuffed their player payments by offering players to much to stay, I like to think they would have learnt something from that.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
Need to get hold of Greenwood from the Crows at the end of the year, strong and can kick a goal and doesn't seem to be in Pyke's favourites list. Apparently it has been reported we had a try last year but Hawks also sniffing around at the moment.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disagree. Good clubs with a strong culture do not lose young, valued best 22 players to states not their home town, yet alone Gold Coast. For any reason. If their is an environment where players are happy and content, the thought of moving to the worst club in the AFL, away from established friends and family would be laughed at, regardless of any other factors. It just shouldnt happen.

I'm not sure how you cant think the idea of losing Blakely and Langdon to GC is anything but a monumental blight on the club

I said its unreasonable to think they offer double, which it is. They also completed stuffed their player payments by offering players to much to stay, I like to think they would have learnt something from that.
I specifically said it entirely depends on why they want to go, as it should for anyone about any topic.

If you just blindly believe stuff without knowing details, I have a cult you might be interested in.

I specifically said it entirely depends on why they want to go, as it should for anyone about any topic.

If you just blindly believe stuff without knowing details, I have a cult you might be interested in.
Yeah and I specifically said I dont care why they would want to go. it shouldnt be happening and is a terrible reflection on the club

That is quite literally irrational.
Can you think of another club consistently losing best 22 players to somewhere not their home state? IF Blakely and Langdon went to GC (and thats a big if), we would have lost; Weller, Neale, Blakely and Langdon in the space of 3 years to non-home states. This is not even potentially losing both Hills.

How is that acceptable? There couldnt feasibly be a reason for losing them all of them that doesnt have something to do with being disgruntled in some way. Clubs dont lose that many players that way, 1 or 2, sure, but we are talking about potentially 6 players with 3 preferring to play with the worst club in the AFL instead of us.

This simply doesnt happen to a functioning club because the players are happy enough to overlook other motives

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can you think of another club consistently losing best 22 players to somewhere not their home state? IF Blakely and Langdon went to GC (and thats a big if), we would have lost; Weller, Neale, Blakely and Langdon in the space of 3 years to non-home states. This is not even potentially losing both Hills.

How is that acceptable? There couldnt feasibly be a reason for losing them all of them that doesnt have something to do with being disgruntled in some way. Clubs dont lose that many players that way, 1 or 2, sure, but we are talking about potentially 6 players with 3 preferring to play with the worst club in the AFL instead of us.

This simply doesnt happen to a functioning club because the players are happy enough to overlook other motives
Just because you can't think of a reason, doesn't mean one doesn't exist - which is precisely why I would want to know the reason before melting.

Just because you can't think of a reason, doesn't mean one doesn't exist - which is precisely why I would want to know the reason before melting.
It might seem strange to you but I'm a very logical person, hell, I'm in audit which is like all logic based. The whole year I've been trying to shout to everyone on here that its never as good or bad as it seems, you need to evaluate over the course of the year. If it did happen
a) I cant think of a good club ever losing this many established best 22 players. I cant think of ANY club losing potentially 6 best 22 players to a non-home state, yet alone 3 of them going to a basket case.
b) We will never truly know the reason they all left.
c) Given the historical evidence, there is no feasible reason for losing that many players that doesnt have something to do with players being unhappy in some way.

There is a very strong chance this a completely irrelevant conversation, I just find it surprising you think there could be some reasonable explanation for losing that many players in that way

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It might seem strange to you but I'm a very logical person, hell, I'm in audit which is like all logic based. The whole year I've been trying to shout to everyone on here that its never as good or bad as it seems, you need to evaluate over the course of the year. If it did happen
a) I cant think of a good club ever losing this many established best 22 players. I cant think of ANY club losing potentially 6 best 22 players to a non-home state, yet alone 3 of them going to a basket case.
c) Given the historical evidence, there is no feasible reason for losing that many players that doesnt have something to do with players being unhappy in some way.

There is a very strong chance this a completely irrelevant conversation, I just find it surprising you think there could be some reasonable explanation for losing that many players in that way
If you think you are are logical person then look up logical fallacies and you will find examples of what you are saying.

"I can't think of a reason why X, therefore Y"

Also, if we never truly know, then it doesn't make sense to pass any judgement at all. It is irrational to just assume your guess is right and go with that. The right answer is to say I don't know if it is justified.

Adelaide lost a stack to the expansion teams and have had a regular exodus over the last 10 years.

If you think you are are logical person then look up logical fallacies and you will find examples of what you are saying.

"I can't think of a reason why X, therefore Y"

Also, if we never truly know, then it doesn't make sense to pass any judgement at all. It is irrational to just assume your guess is right and go with that. The right answer is to say I don't know if it is justified.
What if there is ample evidence to suggest a likely reason, such as never in the history of the AFL having happened before?
Adelaide lost a stack to the expansion teams and have had a regular exodus over the last 10 years.
That wouldnt be applicable to this situation though correct? The expansion clubs had unprecedented cap limits to bring players in. Also, aside from McGovern, which best 22 players have they lost to a non-home state after expansion.

edit: looking through wikipedia, they also lost Lyons and Vince, and while I dont know all the info around it, that makes 3 in 5 years...

edit2 for Joao : Expanding on my point, you can quite easily be rational by following evidence and coming to a rational conclusion. You dont have to have all the facts to be rational/logical

Last edited:
What if there is ample evidence to suggest a likely reason, such as never in the history of the AFL having happened before?

That wouldnt be applicable to this situation though correct? The expansion clubs had unprecedented cap limits to bring players in. Also, aside from McGovern, which best 22 players have they lost to a non-home state after expansion.

edit: looking through wikipedia, they also lost Lyons and Vince, and while I dont know all the info around it, that makes 3 in 5 years...

edit2 for Joao : Expanding on my point, you can quite easily be rational by following evidence and coming to a rational conclusion. You dont have to have all the facts to be rational/logical
Also Jake Lever, Sam Kerridge and more. They've lost a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back